bluesteve

divorce and business
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »
i would like to pick anyones brains on what happens to your business during and after a divorce.
  my situation is, currently seperated i am a sole trader window cleaner earns about £5000 per annum (its a part time business i have a main job) already paying csa pretty much happy about everthing else that is involved but dont know anything about the business side of things.
  The wife has never put any money into it or worked for or with me,(its beneath her) would be grateful for even the tinest bit of advice or even other peoples experience , thanks in advance
  steve
"Soldier an' Sailor too" !

daz1977

Re: divorce and business
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:00:34 pm »
she could try and claim that with out her  you would not have been able to run your business and ask for a cut of the money

has the csa taken into account the money you make on wc as part of the payments

i use to go out with a girl whos parents split up and could not get divorced as it would get messy, with all the business they owed, some they started and some she inhereated)   so basically he lives in tenerife with an allowance and she has everything else

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:43 pm »
Perhaps a bit late now Steve, but do you belong to a trade association?

I know that with my NCCA Membership, if I have a legal problem, there's a free legal advice helpline available to me. Perhaps even your accountant could help?  I would always advise to seek professional advice as my, and others, opinions and experiences could land you in hot water.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:22:09 am »
Ken always plays it safe

Divorce Lawyers will try to extract every penny they can from you.

If you are in a pennsion scheme they will want half of that.

In my opinion  not legal of course Thy will want half of the value of the business

Or they will take in to account our income from the bussiness when advising on what you should pay towards the children

with 5k turnover no idea how long you have been established  I do not think your business is worth a lot.

If you have houshold insurance there is often a legal help line
There is the CAB I think you can get advise on line now

You could always pay for a Solicitor

or wait and see what is asked for