ollie

get machine serviced
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »
I was happily cleaning a suite for a customer when i felt a buzz through my hand tool.. i ignored it then got another one.... so i turned the Ninja off..sent it off and it turns out the heating element has gone and is sparking and sending amps  down the water flow to my tool!! Just thought id tell you all cos to be honest i have never had a PAT test.
ollie

Jason Hedges

Re: get machine serviced
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:04:27 pm »
Hi Ollie,

I had the same thing a while ago when the pump went on my machine! I've since changed the plugs on my machines to circuit breaker ones for safety as we all know electricity and water don't mix well!

Glad you're still here to tell the tale.

Kind regards,
Jason.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:04:44 pm »
A perfect example of why you should have a pat test. What if a small child had touched part of your machine and died. A pat test may not have shown the fault which may have just happened, however when you end up in court on a manslaughter charge, that bit of paper saying the machine was tested a few months ago would cover your arse.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 06:44:02 am »
Hi Guys,

It's why you should plug into a RCCB unit as this will trip out if anything is wrong.

Cheers

Doug

ollie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 07:37:00 am »
Doug whats an RCCB unit and Jason what are curcuit breaking plugs?  Ive no idea when it comes to electrics!
Thanks
Ollie
ollie

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:43:33 am »
Ollie,

An RCCB unit is a residual current circuit breaker available from any good store!

Cheers

Doug

ollie

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:51 am »
Thanks Doug!
ollie

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 08:20:47 am »
Wickes are the best and cheapest.

cleanability

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 05:14:45 pm »
Yep agree fully. Always use rccb on both leads ( heater and motors). Apart from the safety aspect it will give you early warning if your motor windings or heater element is breaking down, rather than tripping out customers electric.

ps   best advice I've ever been given and has saved me hundreds of pounds if not more is CHANGE VAC BRUSHES BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY FAIL ON YOU. I change mine every 500hrs and my vac motors just keep going and going. They have done about 2400hrs so far and going strong. When I was letting the brushes get to the end of their life and fail, my vac motors were burning out every year.

Chris   

Liahona

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:13:43 am »
Or just get a truck mount he says with a smile. Go on you know you should, best, Dave.

ollie

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 11:06:18 pm »
thanks cleanability
ollie