Ortsa

How long until your guys picked it up?
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:12:33 pm »
Training my first employee at the moment, things are generally going well.
He's polite to customers, always turns up on time and is hardworking, but...
He's a bit of a slow learner. We are doing all jobs together still so I can check over his work, eg. he takes the front I take the back (lol).
I feel like I'm always pointing out missed bits, the odd streak, a window that hasn't been rinsed enough or an un-wiped sill. I have taught him everything and a method to follow on each window to ensure consistency.

Have I developed an experienced eye over the years that he just doesn't have yet? (looking for streaks and spots etc)
Or he is just too thick to get good at window cleaning?

How long did it take your guys to be trusted completely on their own from scratch?

He's about 6 weeks in.

Any advice or experience welcome

Stoots

Re: How long until your guys picked it up?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 06:27:23 pm »
They wont ever clean to your standard.

Just get them googd enough to be passable

jk999

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:05 pm »
If he hasn't picked it up in six weeks then id be a bit worried, its not rocket science should only take a couple of weeks max

NWH

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:47:37 pm »
I would show  them how you want every different window cleaning that you do on the work you have ie a lead-small panes etc,show the way you do it and then watch him copy you.
What they won’t watch for are the most important things like the top of the window when rinsing on or off the glass or cleaning the bars up and across on Georgians,pull him up every time until he gets fed up with you reminding him 6 weeks he should be getting the hang of it.

Ascjim

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
I would say a minimum of a year until they 100% of the job. It's the same with any job.

jk999

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
A year thats way to long you can only apologise to customers for so long for poor cleaning,

NWH

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 07:10:12 pm »
I would say a minimum of a year until they 100% of the job. It's the same with any job.
So would I regardless of what others say different weather sometimes means a different way of cleaning and some times of year require you to be more thorough.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 08:14:15 pm »
They should have picked up the mechanics of window cleaning by the end of the week, by that I mean you have shown, and they have learnt how to tackle a house, what order to clean windows how you like them cleaned and be looking for bird strike cobwebs etc.... if they miss bird strike and cobwebs then they won't be any good - learning the finer details I would say is around 6 to 8 weeks on avoiding spots etc and starting to be aware of differing frames and situations then finally finesse comes in at around the year when they have experienced a complete yearly cycle and know the round and properties

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
They should have picked up the mechanics of window cleaning by the end of the week, by that I mean you have shown, and they have learnt how to tackle a house, what order to clean windows how you like them cleaned and be looking for bird strike cobwebs etc.... if they miss bird strike and cobwebs then they won't be any good - learning the finer details I would say is around 6 to 8 weeks on avoiding spots etc and starting to be aware of differing frames and situations then finally finesse comes in at around the year when they have experienced a complete yearly cycle and know the round and properties

Darran
Yeah I would have to agree with that after a year they should have cleaned most of the houses or jobs at least 8 times,from that point onwards I would want them to be making of note of where we are going ie the route there and jobs on the way back,this can vary hence the year or 18 months learning this.
This is the part which is the hardest to learn on my work a lot of it is out the way even the birds get lost 🤣.

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:01 pm »
Window Cleaning is the easiest job in the world to learn. Only 3 things you have to clean. Glass, frames and cills.
Yet it's unbeleavble how many people can't do it. I  know i've had some right idiots who couldn't follow the simpliest of instructions
I'd say 3 months before he's ok.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 08:59:48 pm »
Maybe but not to learn the route of work if you want someone to go out on there own some routes of work take a long time to learn.

swanson

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 03:15:19 pm »
I would say 2-3 weeks to learn WFP
It’s harder to learn traditional window cleaning.

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:11:39 pm »
I would say 2-3 weeks to learn WFP
It’s harder to learn traditional window cleaning.

Nah, trad is easier, it takes time to get fast but its much easier to do correctly because you can see instant results before your eyes. You know when youve finished its either done right or its not.

With wfp its not apparent until you have gone and theres loads more factors than can affect the end result.

Ooooooog

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 10:05:15 am »
Maybe but not to learn the route of work if you want someone to go out on there own some routes of work take a long time to learn.

I find this the biggest issue. Most of our window cleaning is rural. I know the county like the back of my hand but it’s amazing how some have no ‘mental map’ or concept of orientation. The lads that have grown up with sat navs (They often don’t work around here) have never had to actually work out where they are and where they’re going.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 11:18:17 am »
what smudger said

1 week .

they will speed up from there, but they should have enough control of the pole and be able to clean your standard house to a good enough standard by then

the rest of it will need coaching for the next month or 2, and then ongoing from there for less frequent things

i think they should be able to handle your normal workload by 2 months typically
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »
I can tell you now I wouldn’t let anyone lose on my work after a week a week is ridiculous,when you start using a pole it takes a week after the first couple of days for you to be able to move your upper body again after days of aching.
Ideally you need to have cleaned windows traditionally that’s the kind of person you need,I can see if a windows clean from the ground from experience if you have no experience you can’t possibly have a clue.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 05:59:19 pm »
2 months to able to handle your workload 🤣🤣 I don’t know what kind of work you have Richard but I can more or less tell you 100% you are wrong there m8 lol.

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »
Should pick it up by the first tea break I would have thought.

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »
Takes about twenty years to manage the pole hose though.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 07:06:57 pm »
25-30 houses a day says it all of what type of houses they are if you are cleaning 10-£15 houses you could let any Numb Nut 🥜 loose of em after a week or so 🤣🤣, this is why I always say employing isn’t easy because I value the customers I have and have had for a long time.