Pete Thompson

Re: How long until your guys picked it up?
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2020, 11:35:13 pm »
If you believe that you, and only you, can clean your customers to an acceptable standard then your business will always be limited to what you can personally do. Granted, you might get faster and more efficient over time, but there is still a physical limit to what just one person can do.

I've seen a lot of window cleaners who chase perfection at every single job, and this is just not scalable.  The standard to aim for is the minimum possible that the customer will accept.  If you go above and beyond this standard, it will take longer (and therefore cost more) for no additional benefit.

Every time I take on new work, in the back of my mind I'm continually making sure that the job is scalable.  That there are no aspects of the work that an employee couldn't do.  So no crazy, back-breaking pole acrobatics to reach an awkward window, no climbing over gates, no walking on roofs etc.  Anything like that just doesn't get done.

My work is highly priced, at least 1/3 more expensive than other window cleaners in our area, but if any job is not scalable it is of no use to me, no matter how amazing the price may be.

I don't want to be working on the tools when I'm 70 or 60 or even 50.  I also don't want to stop growing because I've reached the limit of what I personally can do, and that means developing a customer base and a system of working that is completely transferable to employees.  It cannot require such a standard of perfection or experience that it depends on me personally doing the work.

If you are chasing a level of perfection that only you can ever achieve, and don't think you could ever trust employees to be trained to do it, then sorry, but you do not own a business.  You own a job.

Stoots

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 12:53:34 pm »
Life must be boring for you dry being so perfect from the get go - well done 👍

Darran
Perfect, get real, I clean windows for a living which is hardly an achievement to brag about.
Noooooooo, you clean windows perfectly after less than an hour of practice.
Don't be so modest, Dry.
Totally shocked,  are you saying there are people out there who couldn't ? and are you one of them ?
I never stop learning, Dry.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. I bet you've never even tried hot water or Vision.
If you think I'm good Griff, the kid next door can clean his dad's car, no training and only 12 years of age, impressive or what.

Yes but does he scratch the hell out of it with poor technique? . Chances are he used one bucket and gives it a good scrub and it looks clean.... Only to reveal swirl marks after months of doing it poorly.

or does he use the two bucket method with grit guards, does he pre soak the dirt so he's not pulling dry dirt about and does he make sure he only cleans the top half of the car first before the bottom. Bet he uses a sponge instead of a microfibre and bet he uses that same sponge for the wheels. Did he remove the wax by using too harsh a shampoo or does he indeed re wax it so it's quicker and easier next time for him. Again the list goes on...

Sometimes things are not as simple as what meets the eye, same with wfp technique imo.

NWH

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »
I don’t chase perfection but using hot water and lightest poles possible help to get close to it,there’s not many quicker than me I’ve seen but my point is when someone works for you they soon become slack and just try to bang through it as quick as they can without a thought for the end result.
Losing well priced jobs is a bitter pill to swallow just for doing a bad job other reasons fair enough but not just because the employee fancied an early day.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2020, 03:08:01 pm »
If you believe that you, and only you, can clean your customers to an acceptable standard then your business will always be limited to what you can personally do. Granted, you might get faster and more efficient over time, but there is still a physical limit to what just one person can do.

I've seen a lot of window cleaners who chase perfection at every single job, and this is just not scalable.  The standard to aim for is the minimum possible that the customer will accept.  If you go above and beyond this standard, it will take longer (and therefore cost more) for no additional benefit.

Every time I take on new work, in the back of my mind I'm continually making sure that the job is scalable.  That there are no aspects of the work that an employee couldn't do.  So no crazy, back-breaking pole acrobatics to reach an awkward window, no climbing over gates, no walking on roofs etc.  Anything like that just doesn't get done.

My work is highly priced, at least 1/3 more expensive than other window cleaners in our area, but if any job is not scalable it is of no use to me, no matter how amazing the price may be.

I don't want to be working on the tools when I'm 70 or 60 or even 50.  I also don't want to stop growing because I've reached the limit of what I personally can do, and that means developing a customer base and a system of working that is completely transferable to employees.  It cannot require such a standard of perfection or experience that it depends on me personally doing the work.

If you are chasing a level of perfection that only you can ever achieve, and don't think you could ever trust employees to be trained to do it, then sorry, but you do not own a business.  You own a job.
Aye ok then😂😂

NWH

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2020, 06:02:24 pm »
Here we go again you don’t own a business you own a job right oh,if only the Inland revenue thought the same.
Hear this all you window cleaning millionaires come back when you turnover 2 million a year and Net around 25 grand a month because most of you ain’t a lot better off than some on here with a couple of blokes out with em 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Had a bloke say to me a month ago the job you do is not even a proper job is it lol,I said to him I work for a suntan cream manufacturing company I’m testing it out at the moment from 2 till 7 🤣🤣🤣.

Dry Clean

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:02 pm »

Darran
Perfect, get real, I clean windows for a living which is hardly an achievement to brag about.
Don't be so modest, Dry.
Totally shocked,  are you saying there are people out there who couldn't ? and are you one of them ?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. I bet you've never even tried hot water or Vision.
If you think I'm good Griff, the kid next door can clean his dad's car, no training and only 12 years of age, impressive or what.

Yes but does he scratch the hell out of it with poor technique? . Chances are he used one bucket and gives it a good scrub and it looks clean.... Only to reveal swirl marks after months of doing it poorly.

or does he use the two bucket method with grit guards, does he pre soak the dirt so he's not pulling dry dirt about and does he make sure he only cleans the top half of the car first before the bottom. Bet he uses a sponge instead of a microfibre and bet he uses that same sponge for the wheels. Did he remove the wax by using too harsh a shampoo or does he indeed re wax it so it's quicker and easier next time for him. Again the list goes on...

Sometimes things are not as simple as what meets the eye, same with wfp technique imo.
Buy yourself a decent car shampoo and most for the stuff you have just mentioned becomes irrelevant, its the same with window cleaning, you could faff about finding problems that don't matter or exist, or you could simply put the brush onto the glass turn on the water and wash the window.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 08:28:25 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Buy yourself a decent car shampoo and most for the stuff you have just mentioned becomes irrelevant, its the same with window cleaning, you could faff about finding problems that don't matter or exist, or you could simply put the brush onto the glass turn on the water and wash the window.
Sorry Dry but it doesn’t matter how good the car shampoo is, if you don’t use some of the methods that Griff mentions, the paintwork will suffer.

G Griffin

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 08:30:30 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Your neeeigh-bour has a horse, doesn't he? I knew it.
And how do you find problems that don't exist?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 08:33:03 pm »
Just an hours practise that’s all that’s needed what are you stupid 🤣🤣

G Griffin

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2020, 08:36:17 pm »
To  be fair to Dry Clean, he did back it up with a car cleaning analogy.
His 12 year old neighbour cleaning his dad's car. Which is a horse, really  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
Actually I saw 2 blokes faffing about with the pole doing a fairly large house similar to me,I did 2 houses I drove past them they still had a side and front to do I shouted Oi you’ve been on that hour long course haven’t you 🤣🤣🤣

Dry Clean

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2020, 09:10:47 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Sorry Dry but it doesn’t matter how good the car shampoo is, if you don’t use some of the methods that Griff mentions, the paintwork will suffer.
You mean Gomo, Griff wouldn't know how to fill a bucket never mind wash a car, lol

G Griffin

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:10 pm »
That's a problem that doesn't exist.
Can you fill us a bucket with manure from next door's car for my roses, please?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2020, 09:24:47 pm »
You compared window cleaning to plastering and then called it a trade, are you Griff's brother. lol

Sorry NWH, that was below the belt.

NWH

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2020, 09:45:41 pm »
Plenty of people call themselves plasterers but they are useless the same goes for window cleaners.

G Griffin

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:12 pm »
You compared window cleaning to plastering and then called it a trade, are you Griff's brother. lol

Sorry NWH, that was below the belt.
It's still better than comparing it to a 12 year old cleaning his dad's car.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »
Got a 10 year old starting in the morning don’t worry he’s done the course taught him the ropes after his tea just before his bath.

Dry Clean

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:32 am »
Plenty of people call themselves plasterers but they are useless the same goes for window cleaners.
There's a skill in plastering that many can't master, if you can't clean a window after being shown how to do it once there's something very wrong with you.

G Griffin

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2020, 08:59:02 am »
There's a skill in plastering that many can't master, if you can't clean a window after being shown how to do it once there's something very wrong with you.
Once?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2020, 09:30:30 am »
On that one occasion being mentioned there must have been a hell of a lot of people shown the wrong way then from what I’ve seen,if you ask me it’s complete panic from someone desperately wanting some chancer out working earning them money even though they haven’t a clue what they are doing lol.
Being able to clean at speed traditional or WFP and do a good job is a skill that takes time to master,anyone that said otherwise I would just take that as they haven’t a clue.