Ortsa

How long until your guys picked it up?
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:12:33 pm »
Training my first employee at the moment, things are generally going well.
He's polite to customers, always turns up on time and is hardworking, but...
He's a bit of a slow learner. We are doing all jobs together still so I can check over his work, eg. he takes the front I take the back (lol).
I feel like I'm always pointing out missed bits, the odd streak, a window that hasn't been rinsed enough or an un-wiped sill. I have taught him everything and a method to follow on each window to ensure consistency.

Have I developed an experienced eye over the years that he just doesn't have yet? (looking for streaks and spots etc)
Or he is just too thick to get good at window cleaning?

How long did it take your guys to be trusted completely on their own from scratch?

He's about 6 weeks in.

Any advice or experience welcome

Stoots

Re: How long until your guys picked it up?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 06:27:23 pm »
They wont ever clean to your standard.

Just get them googd enough to be passable

jk999

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:05 pm »
If he hasn't picked it up in six weeks then id be a bit worried, its not rocket science should only take a couple of weeks max

NWH

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:47:37 pm »
I would show  them how you want every different window cleaning that you do on the work you have ie a lead-small panes etc,show the way you do it and then watch him copy you.
What they won’t watch for are the most important things like the top of the window when rinsing on or off the glass or cleaning the bars up and across on Georgians,pull him up every time until he gets fed up with you reminding him 6 weeks he should be getting the hang of it.

Ascjim

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
I would say a minimum of a year until they 100% of the job. It's the same with any job.

jk999

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
A year thats way to long you can only apologise to customers for so long for poor cleaning,

NWH

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 07:10:12 pm »
I would say a minimum of a year until they 100% of the job. It's the same with any job.
So would I regardless of what others say different weather sometimes means a different way of cleaning and some times of year require you to be more thorough.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 08:14:15 pm »
They should have picked up the mechanics of window cleaning by the end of the week, by that I mean you have shown, and they have learnt how to tackle a house, what order to clean windows how you like them cleaned and be looking for bird strike cobwebs etc.... if they miss bird strike and cobwebs then they won't be any good - learning the finer details I would say is around 6 to 8 weeks on avoiding spots etc and starting to be aware of differing frames and situations then finally finesse comes in at around the year when they have experienced a complete yearly cycle and know the round and properties

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
They should have picked up the mechanics of window cleaning by the end of the week, by that I mean you have shown, and they have learnt how to tackle a house, what order to clean windows how you like them cleaned and be looking for bird strike cobwebs etc.... if they miss bird strike and cobwebs then they won't be any good - learning the finer details I would say is around 6 to 8 weeks on avoiding spots etc and starting to be aware of differing frames and situations then finally finesse comes in at around the year when they have experienced a complete yearly cycle and know the round and properties

Darran
Yeah I would have to agree with that after a year they should have cleaned most of the houses or jobs at least 8 times,from that point onwards I would want them to be making of note of where we are going ie the route there and jobs on the way back,this can vary hence the year or 18 months learning this.
This is the part which is the hardest to learn on my work a lot of it is out the way even the birds get lost 🤣.

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:01 pm »
Window Cleaning is the easiest job in the world to learn. Only 3 things you have to clean. Glass, frames and cills.
Yet it's unbeleavble how many people can't do it. I  know i've had some right idiots who couldn't follow the simpliest of instructions
I'd say 3 months before he's ok.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 08:59:48 pm »
Maybe but not to learn the route of work if you want someone to go out on there own some routes of work take a long time to learn.

swanson

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 03:15:19 pm »
I would say 2-3 weeks to learn WFP
It’s harder to learn traditional window cleaning.

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:11:39 pm »
I would say 2-3 weeks to learn WFP
It’s harder to learn traditional window cleaning.

Nah, trad is easier, it takes time to get fast but its much easier to do correctly because you can see instant results before your eyes. You know when youve finished its either done right or its not.

With wfp its not apparent until you have gone and theres loads more factors than can affect the end result.

Ooooooog

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 10:05:15 am »
Maybe but not to learn the route of work if you want someone to go out on there own some routes of work take a long time to learn.

I find this the biggest issue. Most of our window cleaning is rural. I know the county like the back of my hand but it’s amazing how some have no ‘mental map’ or concept of orientation. The lads that have grown up with sat navs (They often don’t work around here) have never had to actually work out where they are and where they’re going.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 11:18:17 am »
what smudger said

1 week .

they will speed up from there, but they should have enough control of the pole and be able to clean your standard house to a good enough standard by then

the rest of it will need coaching for the next month or 2, and then ongoing from there for less frequent things

i think they should be able to handle your normal workload by 2 months typically
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »
I can tell you now I wouldn’t let anyone lose on my work after a week a week is ridiculous,when you start using a pole it takes a week after the first couple of days for you to be able to move your upper body again after days of aching.
Ideally you need to have cleaned windows traditionally that’s the kind of person you need,I can see if a windows clean from the ground from experience if you have no experience you can’t possibly have a clue.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 05:59:19 pm »
2 months to able to handle your workload 🤣🤣 I don’t know what kind of work you have Richard but I can more or less tell you 100% you are wrong there m8 lol.

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »
Should pick it up by the first tea break I would have thought.

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »
Takes about twenty years to manage the pole hose though.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 07:06:57 pm »
25-30 houses a day says it all of what type of houses they are if you are cleaning 10-£15 houses you could let any Numb Nut 🥜 loose of em after a week or so 🤣🤣, this is why I always say employing isn’t easy because I value the customers I have and have had for a long time.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 07:31:18 pm »
I can tell you now I wouldn’t let anyone lose on my work after a week a week is ridiculous,when you start using a pole it takes a week after the first couple of days for you to be able to move your upper body again after days of aching.
Ideally you need to have cleaned windows traditionally that’s the kind of person you need,I can see if a windows clean from the ground from experience if you have no experience you can’t possibly have a clue.
I agree

It takes years to fully master wfp.

Some people on here are in cloud cuckoo land ;D

NWH

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 07:48:27 pm »
Not even worth responding really although I have done to say you can pick it up in weeks I don’t know what kind of a job someone who makes that kind of comment thinks they will get from an employee,there is a dexterity to using WFP as there is with a squeegee a technique and a way to use it.
To use it competently through trial and error takes months I would still expect mistakes that are basic after a year if they rushed,with experience windows take seconds to clean close to perfect someone who doesn’t know what they are doing could  take 5 minutes to clean a window that would end up looking awful.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 08:12:35 am »
It's the number 1 reason I pick up new work.....their last WCs did a rubbish job......invariably its cleaning companies  with staff....
price higher/work harder!

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 11:12:34 am »
It's the number 1 reason I pick up new work.....their last WCs did a rubbish job......invariably its cleaning companies  with staff....

us too!

and because the previous window cleaner was unreliable or unprofessional

you only get to speak to the ones who aren't happy dont you
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »
Enough said saying you can’t pick it up in weeks I’ve got a clearer picture in my mind now thanks 😂,I would never expect anyone to pick and kind of window cleaning up in a week only doing a half decent job of wiping sills if I was traditional.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 07:44:44 pm »
When I was training employees up I would expect them be competent within 2-3 months and fully up to speed with an eye to detail at 6 months.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 08:24:46 pm »
25-30 houses a day says it all of what type of houses they are if you are cleaning 10-£15 houses you could let any Numb Nut 🥜 loose of em after a week or so 🤣🤣, this is why I always say employing isn’t easy because I value the customers I have and have had for a long time.
Says the one who cleans the outside then when he goes to clean the insides notices that the windows he’s just cleaned aren’t........errr clean😂😂

NWH

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 08:57:19 pm »
Exactly that’s why it takes “experience “ I know that so now I take more care when I’m going inside etc,a few weeks-months 🤣🤣

Dry Clean

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 03:07:43 pm »
Some silly replies on this one, lol, for normal domestic stuff an hour will be more than enough to learn how to clean a window properly, then its just a matter of upping your skill level so that you can clean them quicker.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 03:29:42 pm »
Some silly replies on this one, lol, for normal domestic stuff an hour will be more than enough to learn how to clean a window properly, then its just a matter of upping your skill level so that you can clean them quicker.
A hour  ::)roll

And you talk about silly replies  ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 03:44:57 pm »
Did you actually read the question? How long did it take for your guys to be trusted completely on their own from scratch? .....To which you have answered 1 hour 😂😂, arguably the silliest reply on the thread.

Dry Clean

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2020, 04:35:57 pm »
Did you actually read the question? How long did it take for your guys to be trusted completely on their own from scratch? .....To which you have answered 1 hour 😂😂, arguably the silliest reply on the thread.
Sorry I read how long until they picked it up which I suppose is different to how long before you would trust a stranger to drive off in your van with your equipment, the very first property I cleaned using wfp was my own and other than it taking 4 times longer than it should have it was cleaned to perfection, prior to this I had received about 10 minutes training from the equipment seller.

Dry Clean

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2020, 04:45:39 pm »
A hour  ::)roll

And you talk about silly replies  ;D
I know why would take an hour for somebody to learn how to wash dust from a pane of glass, I just didn't want to sound too cocky. lol

G Griffin

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2020, 05:07:29 pm »
;D
No, an hour is 'more than enough'. The employee has had an interview, been kitted out with uniform and had a dinner break in that hour, too.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Smudger

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2020, 05:56:08 pm »
Sorry I read how long until they picked it up which I suppose is different to how long before you would trust a stranger to drive off in your van with your equipment, the very first property I cleaned using wfp was my own and other than it taking 4 times longer than it should have it was cleaned to perfection, prior to this I had received about 10 minutes training from the equipment seller.

fantastic ! that seller must have something special I hope he set up a business in training people to be window cleaners he'd have made a fortune

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2020, 06:46:39 pm »
Lol goodness me 🤣🤣 some people must have toilet work that’s all I can say coz I wouldn’t let anyone loose on stuff I’ve got that’s  very good paying that I’ve had for years,that’s my dilemma with employing idiots.
You don’t get the right people you don’t pay the right money blah blah blah,the right person is the one that won’t lose me my livelihood in a few weeks lol,I value the work I have it’s taken years to build I’m not willing to knock it down in a matter of weeks.

Dry Clean

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:24 pm »

fantastic ! that seller must have something special I hope he set up a business in training people to be window cleaners he'd have made a fortune

Darran
Wow, why didn't I think of that,
1. Put the brush on the glass and turn on your water.
2. Scrub the glass, frames and rinse.
3. Be careful around vents and degraded rubber seals as they can cause spotting and runs.
4. For obvious reasons clean the highest window first and work down.
Crap if I'm going to get suckers to buy this training I will need a lot more than this. lol

Smudger

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24:11 pm »
Life must be boring for you dry being so perfect from the get go - well done 👍

Darran

Dry Clean

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 08:27:10 pm »

Darran
Perfect, get real, I clean windows for a living which is hardly an achievement to brag about.

G Griffin

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 08:32:52 pm »

Darran
Perfect, get real, I clean windows for a living which is hardly an achievement to brag about.
Noooooooo, you clean windows perfectly after less than an hour of practice.
Don't be so modest, Dry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 08:45:26 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.
Totally shocked,  are you saying there are people out there who couldn't ? and are you one of them ?

Smudger

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2020, 09:08:40 pm »
Yep -

First few took me ages - working out where to go what order to do windows where to park etc.. and some had runs and spots

But there again I worked at it to improve, not only in time but quality - I'm happy always to learn and improve so I'm glad I didn't clean perfectly from the very first window

Darran

G Griffin

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2020, 09:15:11 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.
Totally shocked,  are you saying there are people out there who couldn't ? and are you one of them ?
I never stop learning, Dry.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. I bet you've never even tried hot water or Vision.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2020, 10:21:52 pm »
Anyone who thinks they can do the job in that sort of time sums it up for me it’s like when I tried this one guy out on the way to the first job he said how hard can it be it’s only cleaning windows,I had him with me for an hour and said it must be harder than you thought coz you can’t do it can you,popped him in the van and dropped him off back home lol.
It’s like plastering it just looks easy some people no matter how long they do it they never end up any good at it,scrub the frames and rinse the glass it’s as easy as that if it was I’d have another with me tomorrow morning 🤣

Smudger

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2020, 10:30:53 pm »
Yes, I have to agree, there are some that just can't master it...

Darran

CozyTheBest

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2020, 08:18:38 am »
No ,  you should perfectly clean after less than an hour of practice.

NWH

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2020, 10:59:46 am »
No that’s far to long an hour I think they have the hang of it after about 10 minutes.

Stoots

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2020, 11:46:35 am »
The basics are easy to teach, scrub everything and rinse.

But that's just touching the surface, watch how an experienced painter expertly cuts in around borders and light sockets etc without making a mess. When I paint there's splatters all over the shop lol.

Might be a basic task but there's nuances to the technique that make all the difference.

Knowing which windows might spot, seals or vents to avoid, ones you don't need to rinse, rinsing more if the sun's in that window. When you can leave the top frame, when you need to do the top frame because rains hitting it. Wetting that piece of bird poope first, the list goes on and on and on.

It's easy to clean well slowly and it's easy to clean poorly fast but to clean well and fast there's the art 🎨

It takes months to become efficient, not only in technique but in knowing the route and parking etc.

Dry Clean

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2020, 11:49:42 am »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. I bet you've never even tried hot water or Vision.
If you think I'm good Griff, the kid next door can clean his dad's car, no training and only 12 years of age, impressive or what.

Dry Clean

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2020, 11:53:37 am »
Yep -

First few took me ages - working out where to go what order to do windows where to park etc.. and some had runs and spots

But there again I worked at it to improve, not only in time but quality - I'm happy always to learn and improve so I'm glad I didn't clean perfectly from the very first window

Darran
That's bad Darran, how many did you actually clean before realising that you couldn't clean from the bottom and work up ?

NWH

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2020, 12:22:19 pm »
I’ve been WFP 16 years I learn something different nearly every time I go back start ie different place to start cleaning  park in a different position etc,I wouldn’t be prepared to let anyone loose on good work maybe this is the thing the work some people have is toilet so it doesn’t really matter.
How would you feel getting sacked off from a 100 quid house that takes less than an hour because you’d let some fool loose on it,I think there’s a couple on this thread that may think again about such jobs.

G Griffin

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.
If you think I'm good Griff, the kid next door can clean his dad's car, no training and only 12 years of age, impressive or what.
I am impressed!
They have cars in Ireland?  :o
Albeit dirty ones?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2020, 03:36:18 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.
I am impressed!
They have cars in Ireland?  :o
Albeit dirty ones?
Are you sure you don't mean Wales ?

robbo333

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2020, 05:56:35 pm »
Training my first employee at the moment, things are generally going well.
He's polite to customers, always turns up on time and is hardworking, but...
He's a bit of a slow learner. We are doing all jobs together still so I can check over his work, eg. he takes the front I take the back (lol).
I feel like I'm always pointing out missed bits, the odd streak, a window that hasn't been rinsed enough or an un-wiped sill. I have taught him everything and a method to follow on each window to ensure consistency.

Have I developed an experienced eye over the years that he just doesn't have yet? (looking for streaks and spots etc)
Or he is just too thick to get good at window cleaning?

How long did it take your guys to be trusted completely on their own from scratch?

He's about 6 weeks in.

Any advice or experience welcome

I think you have the basis of a good employee.
Sometimes, when you are trying to teach someone, you don't get what you want, you get what you COMMUNICATE!
Try changing your teaching methods.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

NWH

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »
Window cleaner wanted apprenticeship needed to be served but don’t worry if you get here at 7 you’ll be qualified by 8 then off to the first job 😂🤣🤣🤣,dear me it’s one of them moments when you think you’ve heard it all then you haven’t.

NWH

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2020, 06:23:29 pm »
The new bloke lost 5 jobs for us today but don’t worry they were only 10 notes a pop,he’ll learn though lol.

Dry Clean

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2020, 07:07:41 pm »
Window cleaner wanted apprenticeship needed to be served but don’t worry if you get here at 7 you’ll be qualified by 8 then off to the first job 😂🤣🤣🤣,dear me it’s one of them moments when you think you’ve heard it all then you haven’t.
Not everybody has the luxury of being able to serve a 16 year window cleaning apprenticeship NWH, it actually surprised me that you mastered it that quick. lol

NWH

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2020, 08:36:52 pm »
Lol blimey you’ve got to laugh no wonder this game has got such a bad name putting someone straight out on jobs,regardless of what people will say the best WFPolers are the ones who have cleaned traditional or served there time.

Dry Clean

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2020, 09:02:34 pm »
Lol blimey you’ve got to laugh no wonder this game has got such a bad name putting someone straight out on jobs,regardless of what people will say the best WFPolers are the ones who have cleaned traditional or served there time.
Served their time ? you're washing a window NWH not building a house, next your will be telling us that hoovering the carpet is a trade, some of you guys are in dire need of a  reality check.

NWH

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2020, 09:57:29 pm »
Let me know which council estate you are next recruiting from next I’ll do your hour long course with the rest of em,I honestly say on certain domestics if you had them you wouldn’t put these kind of people straight out on them because if you did you’d lose a lot of income,£100 jobs every 6 weeks  each job generating around 800 a year give or take a clean I know I wouldn’t want to lose that kind of work.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2020, 11:35:13 pm »
If you believe that you, and only you, can clean your customers to an acceptable standard then your business will always be limited to what you can personally do. Granted, you might get faster and more efficient over time, but there is still a physical limit to what just one person can do.

I've seen a lot of window cleaners who chase perfection at every single job, and this is just not scalable.  The standard to aim for is the minimum possible that the customer will accept.  If you go above and beyond this standard, it will take longer (and therefore cost more) for no additional benefit.

Every time I take on new work, in the back of my mind I'm continually making sure that the job is scalable.  That there are no aspects of the work that an employee couldn't do.  So no crazy, back-breaking pole acrobatics to reach an awkward window, no climbing over gates, no walking on roofs etc.  Anything like that just doesn't get done.

My work is highly priced, at least 1/3 more expensive than other window cleaners in our area, but if any job is not scalable it is of no use to me, no matter how amazing the price may be.

I don't want to be working on the tools when I'm 70 or 60 or even 50.  I also don't want to stop growing because I've reached the limit of what I personally can do, and that means developing a customer base and a system of working that is completely transferable to employees.  It cannot require such a standard of perfection or experience that it depends on me personally doing the work.

If you are chasing a level of perfection that only you can ever achieve, and don't think you could ever trust employees to be trained to do it, then sorry, but you do not own a business.  You own a job.

Stoots

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 12:53:34 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Yes but does he scratch the hell out of it with poor technique? . Chances are he used one bucket and gives it a good scrub and it looks clean.... Only to reveal swirl marks after months of doing it poorly.

or does he use the two bucket method with grit guards, does he pre soak the dirt so he's not pulling dry dirt about and does he make sure he only cleans the top half of the car first before the bottom. Bet he uses a sponge instead of a microfibre and bet he uses that same sponge for the wheels. Did he remove the wax by using too harsh a shampoo or does he indeed re wax it so it's quicker and easier next time for him. Again the list goes on...

Sometimes things are not as simple as what meets the eye, same with wfp technique imo.

NWH

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »
I don’t chase perfection but using hot water and lightest poles possible help to get close to it,there’s not many quicker than me I’ve seen but my point is when someone works for you they soon become slack and just try to bang through it as quick as they can without a thought for the end result.
Losing well priced jobs is a bitter pill to swallow just for doing a bad job other reasons fair enough but not just because the employee fancied an early day.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2020, 03:08:01 pm »
If you believe that you, and only you, can clean your customers to an acceptable standard then your business will always be limited to what you can personally do. Granted, you might get faster and more efficient over time, but there is still a physical limit to what just one person can do.

I've seen a lot of window cleaners who chase perfection at every single job, and this is just not scalable.  The standard to aim for is the minimum possible that the customer will accept.  If you go above and beyond this standard, it will take longer (and therefore cost more) for no additional benefit.

Every time I take on new work, in the back of my mind I'm continually making sure that the job is scalable.  That there are no aspects of the work that an employee couldn't do.  So no crazy, back-breaking pole acrobatics to reach an awkward window, no climbing over gates, no walking on roofs etc.  Anything like that just doesn't get done.

My work is highly priced, at least 1/3 more expensive than other window cleaners in our area, but if any job is not scalable it is of no use to me, no matter how amazing the price may be.

I don't want to be working on the tools when I'm 70 or 60 or even 50.  I also don't want to stop growing because I've reached the limit of what I personally can do, and that means developing a customer base and a system of working that is completely transferable to employees.  It cannot require such a standard of perfection or experience that it depends on me personally doing the work.

If you are chasing a level of perfection that only you can ever achieve, and don't think you could ever trust employees to be trained to do it, then sorry, but you do not own a business.  You own a job.
Aye ok then😂😂

NWH

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2020, 06:02:24 pm »
Here we go again you don’t own a business you own a job right oh,if only the Inland revenue thought the same.
Hear this all you window cleaning millionaires come back when you turnover 2 million a year and Net around 25 grand a month because most of you ain’t a lot better off than some on here with a couple of blokes out with em 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Had a bloke say to me a month ago the job you do is not even a proper job is it lol,I said to him I work for a suntan cream manufacturing company I’m testing it out at the moment from 2 till 7 🤣🤣🤣.

Dry Clean

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:02 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Yes but does he scratch the hell out of it with poor technique? . Chances are he used one bucket and gives it a good scrub and it looks clean.... Only to reveal swirl marks after months of doing it poorly.

or does he use the two bucket method with grit guards, does he pre soak the dirt so he's not pulling dry dirt about and does he make sure he only cleans the top half of the car first before the bottom. Bet he uses a sponge instead of a microfibre and bet he uses that same sponge for the wheels. Did he remove the wax by using too harsh a shampoo or does he indeed re wax it so it's quicker and easier next time for him. Again the list goes on...

Sometimes things are not as simple as what meets the eye, same with wfp technique imo.
Buy yourself a decent car shampoo and most for the stuff you have just mentioned becomes irrelevant, its the same with window cleaning, you could faff about finding problems that don't matter or exist, or you could simply put the brush onto the glass turn on the water and wash the window.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 08:28:25 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Buy yourself a decent car shampoo and most for the stuff you have just mentioned becomes irrelevant, its the same with window cleaning, you could faff about finding problems that don't matter or exist, or you could simply put the brush onto the glass turn on the water and wash the window.
Sorry Dry but it doesn’t matter how good the car shampoo is, if you don’t use some of the methods that Griff mentions, the paintwork will suffer.

G Griffin

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 08:30:30 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Your neeeigh-bour has a horse, doesn't he? I knew it.
And how do you find problems that don't exist?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 08:33:03 pm »
Just an hours practise that’s all that’s needed what are you stupid 🤣🤣

G Griffin

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2020, 08:36:17 pm »
To  be fair to Dry Clean, he did back it up with a car cleaning analogy.
His 12 year old neighbour cleaning his dad's car. Which is a horse, really  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
Actually I saw 2 blokes faffing about with the pole doing a fairly large house similar to me,I did 2 houses I drove past them they still had a side and front to do I shouted Oi you’ve been on that hour long course haven’t you 🤣🤣🤣

Dry Clean

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2020, 09:10:47 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

Sorry Dry but it doesn’t matter how good the car shampoo is, if you don’t use some of the methods that Griff mentions, the paintwork will suffer.
You mean Gomo, Griff wouldn't know how to fill a bucket never mind wash a car, lol

G Griffin

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:10 pm »
That's a problem that doesn't exist.
Can you fill us a bucket with manure from next door's car for my roses, please?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2020, 09:24:47 pm »
You compared window cleaning to plastering and then called it a trade, are you Griff's brother. lol

Sorry NWH, that was below the belt.

NWH

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2020, 09:45:41 pm »
Plenty of people call themselves plasterers but they are useless the same goes for window cleaners.

G Griffin

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:12 pm »
You compared window cleaning to plastering and then called it a trade, are you Griff's brother. lol

Sorry NWH, that was below the belt.
It's still better than comparing it to a 12 year old cleaning his dad's car.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »
Got a 10 year old starting in the morning don’t worry he’s done the course taught him the ropes after his tea just before his bath.

Dry Clean

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:32 am »
Plenty of people call themselves plasterers but they are useless the same goes for window cleaners.
There's a skill in plastering that many can't master, if you can't clean a window after being shown how to do it once there's something very wrong with you.

G Griffin

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2020, 08:59:02 am »
There's a skill in plastering that many can't master, if you can't clean a window after being shown how to do it once there's something very wrong with you.
Once?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2020, 09:30:30 am »
On that one occasion being mentioned there must have been a hell of a lot of people shown the wrong way then from what I’ve seen,if you ask me it’s complete panic from someone desperately wanting some chancer out working earning them money even though they haven’t a clue what they are doing lol.
Being able to clean at speed traditional or WFP and do a good job is a skill that takes time to master,anyone that said otherwise I would just take that as they haven’t a clue.

NWH

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2020, 09:34:30 am »
I bet all the 1 hour scholars get orange poles to go out and work with too 😂,they’ll be very little carbon in there vans.

Dry Clean

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2020, 11:49:51 am »
On that one occasion being mentioned there must have been a hell of a lot of people shown the wrong way then from what I’ve seen,if you ask me it’s complete panic from someone desperately wanting some chancer out working earning them money even though they haven’t a clue what they are doing lol.
Being able to clean at speed traditional or WFP and do a good job is a skill that takes time to master,anyone that said otherwise I would just take that as they haven’t a clue.
This job is idiot proof so how is it possible to be shown the wrong way ? and nobody is saying that an new start should be up to speed within an hour.

NWH

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2020, 11:59:48 am »
If the bloke doing the teaching hasn’t got a clue in the first place and there’s plenty of them.

Stoots

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:31 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

No it doesn't  ;) (i was car valeter before window cleaning) that's like me saying, make sure your waters pure and it doesnt matter how you clean the window it will be fine  ;D

I don't have vast experience but I can say from showing half a dozen lads how to clean windows and learning myself no one picks it up and can work fast and efficiently in a few hours or days. It takes weeks to get ok and months to get good. Put a wfp pole in someones hand and it's like taking someone out on a driving lesson for the first time. It's almost comical to watch them try and extend it never mind do anything else.

I agree with most stuff you post generally but reckon your are wrong here in my humble opinion. Not that you'll ever admit it.

NWH

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2020, 02:24:02 pm »
I tell you another thing there’s car valets that are awful too it’s all about the detail and with any job that takes time to learn,like I’ve said if it were as easy as that I’d carve my work into 3 and get a swivel chair and be sending them out on quality work 😂🤣🤣

Dry Clean

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:59 pm »
If the bloke doing the teaching hasn’t got a clue in the first place and there’s plenty of them.
If the bloke doing the teaching hadn't a clue then how did he get to the position where he was able to employ ? You keeping making the mistake of thinking just because you cant do something then it must be the same for everybody else.

Dry Clean

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:34 pm »

Darran
Don't be so modest, Dry.

No it doesn't  ;) (i was car valeter before window cleaning) that's like me saying, make sure your waters pure and it doesnt matter how you clean the window it will be fine  ;D

I don't have vast experience but I can say from showing half a dozen lads how to clean windows and learning myself no one picks it up and can work fast and efficiently in a few hours or days. It takes weeks to get ok and months to get good. Put a wfp pole in someones hand and it's like taking someone out on a driving lesson for the first time. It's almost comical to watch them try and extend it never mind do anything else.

I agree with most stuff you post generally but reckon your are wrong here in my humble opinion. Not that you'll ever admit it.
Gomo as I said earlier I got about 10 minutes training from the guy who sold me my equipment, he cleaned a window told me about things to be extra careful around when washing like vents, dodgy seals and then watched me repeat what he had just done, the next day I cleaned my own house and 2 others belonging to relatives, more for confidence and to prove to myself that the method actually worked than anything else, (I was one of the first wfp users in my area ) the day after I was cleaning for my first paying customer and it grew from there, I suspect most guys will have a similar story, I agree that a new employee isn't going to be as quick as a more experienced guy but there's no reason why they shouldn't be cleaning windows to an acceptable standard with nothing more than a similar amount of training as Iv mentioned above.

NWH

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2020, 08:10:41 pm »
If the bloke doing the teaching hadn't a clue then how did he get to the position where he was able to employ ? You keeping making the mistake of thinking just because you cant do something then it must be the same for everybody else.

How did he get into the position of being a crap window cleaner ? M8 there’s loads out there still going

NWH

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:14 pm »
I wouldn’t in a million years send someone out on the work I have after a short time it’s too valuable to me I don’t have many jobs I’d be prepared to just throw away.