john martin

Latest DIY boosters
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »
Two identical tiny boosters from John Martin research and design center .

I got some new new portables  ... got to get them boosted

Mike Halliday

Re: Latest DIY boosters
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:29:45 pm »
They are nice looking, looks like they were made in a factory not your shed ;)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:42:01 pm »
Designed in my office and built in-house mike  ..
I was getting fast by the second one  ,  could have went into production .  :)

Robin Ray

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 04:10:15 pm »
Looks impressive!  What's inside?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:11:42 pm »
They look fantastic John pity that I’m truck mounted which motor did you put in? 6.6?

john martin

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 04:24:06 pm »
Yes , a 6.6 in each .
The plan was to build one of these for my upstairs machine  ... a ( 400psi miniflex with a single 8.4 )

and build a twin 6.6 booster for a parallel Enforcer .
But the small booster is one finger liftable and fits on a van shelf  , so i decided to build two of those insted .

And also ... just one connected to the Enforcers two exhausts  , gives a nice lift boost so i wont always use four vacs with that . And i may try two boosters into one vac on the miniflex ... in other words  , i have lots of configuration possibilities.

john martin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 04:34:25 pm »
They got a test or two already

Robin Ray

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 04:37:44 pm »
Excellent job! Have you cleaned carpet using a single booster on the 6.6 enforcer. What sort of boost in lift do you find? Do you notice any cfm increase?

john martin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 04:49:12 pm »
Excellent job! Have you cleaned carpet using a single booster on the 6.6 enforcer. What sort of boost in lift do you find? Do you notice any cfm increase?

yes i have  , il put a gauge on it next week  ... but it feels like much more suction  ,  The parallel 6.6 enforcer is good but i miss the lack of suction , coming form a series machine  , especially with a glided wand , the parallel feels weak .    The three vacs works better with the 6.6 than the last time i tried that with 5.7s  .... because of the increased airflow of the 6.6 i suppose.
Definitely worth playing around with various configurations when your testing your ETM.

Lewis Newby

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 12:30:15 am »
Let us know when your taking orders 😀

john martin

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 02:26:58 am »
Let us know when your taking orders 😀

Hmm  ...   parts cost me about 200  ,   then if i make 100perhour ( thats what carpets cleaners are suppose to make , at least on forums  :D )   i was about five hours  , and then my overheads ,  and shipping and handling  and vat ...   id say about 1000 would cover it  , 
or you could buy cleansmarts version for 550   :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 09:15:21 am »
Could save you some hassle by posting what parts you bought and where from

john martin

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 01:15:56 pm »
Could save you some hassle by posting what parts you bought and where from

Its all a bit custom  ,   there are easier ways to put a 6.6 in a box .     
this is the case though  ... 
https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/product/peli-storm-im2075-case/

Which turned out to be a tad small , hence the protruding thing on the back that i dont even know the name of  ...

Someone would be better getting a slightly larger case  , but dont skimp on the case ,  Cases by B&W or peli  ,  The plastic is so thick and strong in that little case i could bolt the motor direct to the case , you couldnt do than with the likes of a tool box .

Lewis Newby

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 09:27:40 pm »
Hi John I was only kidding but it does look very good. I tried the airflex pod on my machine, but at the time I was running it configured series SD/hd motors so I noticed a big drop in overall lift and consequently moved it on. Since then I have adapted the machine to parallel with 2x 1200 motors from restoremate when one of the original motors blew 18 months ago.

I am considering modifying my machine to run 2x 6.6 , I would like a storm or enforcer but honestly can't justify the cost if I can adapt my current machine. In my head it's as simple as new lead up to vac switch 2, and down to the 2nd 6.6 . Existing lead to pump and vac 1 6.6 . All I need is perhaps a new vac manifold fabricated and two motors and a main cable to do this - plus £100 an hour labour  ;D

john martin

Re: Latest DIY boosters New
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 09:48:23 pm »
hey , i know your kidding , i was emphasizing how slow im am  , if i was building them to sell id make templates and have about five drills with each holesaw ready to go etc , i could get fast then .

You have an Airflex pro ?   yeah fabricating a metal manifold for the two 6.6s should be easy enough .  You just need to measure where the two holes are going in the new metal plate ., and the six bolt hole positions . if you have some downtime  , perhaps buy two 6.6s first and place on the existing manifold  , buy moving them around you should find a good position and mark the holes  , you could then either remove the existing manifold and take it along to a local metal fab place and say make me this with the holes here .   Or you could make a cardboard copy .
Wiring wise  ... you  just need to add a second cord  , buy a cable gland like the one already on the machine to hold it tight , you could opt for no switch if its easier , like just plug it in and it comes on .