zesty

Would you rather...
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:14 am »
...Clean lots of houses at the usual prices to hit your daily target. Window cleaning only.

Or:

Do one big job per day - be it a large house, big commercial job, large gutter clear/clean. Large inside windows job. Pressure washing a driveway etc etc.

Personally, i prefer big jobs. At one place, one lump sum. I would take that every single day of the year if it were possible.

You?

Stoots

Re: Would you rather...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:54:38 am »
All things being equal the bigger job.

However what is great about window cleaning is you can keep going back to the same work every month.

With bigger jobs there would be a constant advertising/marketing effort required to keep the diary full which comes at a cost.

So I prefer cleaning windows only, sold my gutter vac, pressure washer and carpet cleaner.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:01:10 pm »
I remember back in the day the early 90s I took on this work all by hand then of course we did about 50 houses 3 of us,8 till6.
At the end of the day you felt as though you’d done a weeks work 

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:06:17 pm »
As said - big jobs - better pay - not so much running around but 1 hit wonders, so unless you have one of these everyday of the week ( or at least 3 ) you are no better off than the regular stuff ( more time off tho )

I like the challenge of big stuff and seeing a payments with 4 or 5 figures hit the back account is nice

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:34:58 pm »
Same as others.  Sure its nice getting the big jobs and it gives you variety, ie windows one day, pressure washing the next and obviously the bigger payments.

However, steady regular work is also satisfying.

So I aim for good regular but high price jobs
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:34 pm »
Give me rows and rows of £15 houses any day.

Less hassle, if you lose one customer it has zero effect on you. Lose one large property and then your left with a big hole in the schedule.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:09 pm »
However, steady regular work is also boring as feck.

I just felt the need to correct you there.   ;D

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 01:50:29 pm »
Given the choice I'd sooner rock up at one big property a day and spend the day cleaning it. But, I only have one job like this. In the real world filling your books with jobs like that would be very difficult. £10 terraced town house fronts is the norm for me, several on every street and just knock em out gives a good hourly rate.

Spotfree

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 03:59:05 pm »
I hate to stay in one place for too long.

I have some good priced condensed work that pays very well, all the people dont mind paying £12-£15 each.

Tight buggers in the larger house I do are less money per hour, more picky, and miserable sods some of them too. dont know why I bother actually?

zesty

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »
Lads lads lads, this is fantasy, of course it’s not going to happen.

I love big jobs, got a fair few regular biggies and I love the lump sum and ease of it.

Just wanted to see what you guys would prefer.

I get bored doing houses. I’m the opposite to jonny who likes rows of £15 houses. I prefer my commercial work, bigger money and done in less time than the equivalent in houses.

Granted. Over half my round is domestic. It is, of course, the bread and butter, and has its place.

windowswashed

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:21:04 pm »
Prefer commercial work over domestic anyday. Could handle doing commercials all day every day if I had the chance to.

Johnny B

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:25:49 pm »
Give me rows and rows of £15 houses any day.

Less hassle, if you lose one customer it has zero effect on you. Lose one large property and then your left with a big hole in the schedule.

+1

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 05:58:02 pm »
Kinda a side point, for the ones with commercial really.   Hows the longevity nowadays on commercial with all the national companies seemingly taking a lot?

Its been over ten years since I did commercial work. It was well paid as I did childrens care homes for a company but after 2 years they were constantly trying to knock the price down to the point where it got ridiculous and ive never gone back to commercial.
I found domestic to be just as profitable but more loyalty for a job well done.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 06:08:11 pm »
Prefer commercial work over domestic anyday. Could handle doing commercials all day every day if I had the chance to.

Same mate. Seems some do, some don’t. 👍🏼

zesty

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 06:13:12 pm »
Kinda a side point, for the ones with commercial really.   Hows the longevity nowadays on commercial with all the national companies seemingly taking a lot?

Its been over ten years since I did commercial work. It was well paid as I did childrens care homes for a company but after 2 years they were constantly trying to knock the price down to the point where it got ridiculous and ive never gone back to commercial.
I found domestic to be just as profitable but more loyalty for a job well done.

It’s always been very good for me.

I suppose I do more for block management companies, who I have built a very good relationship with. So they don’t let me go.

I have two schools, and then a large amount of office blocks, who again, I’ve got to know very well, so they stick with me. Also they are more local businesses, so not widely known nationally.

The key is building a good relationship, and keeping them informed with issues and vice versa.

I also do a load of commercial for a cleaning company, again, this is based on a good relationship.

One thing I’ve never been bothered about is big well known shops, highstreet work, restaurants and the like, as they seem to be the harder ones to keep. (Though I’m sure that’s not always the case)

I would always have a domestic round though. It’s bread and butter and acts as a safety net.

It’s just in window cleaning ‘utopia’ I’d have all commercial if it were practical, possible, and certain. I just prefer it to domestic rounds.

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:46 pm »
i prefer regular,domestic window cleaning work any day of the week.....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 06:53:52 pm »
one off larger jobs are harder work for sure but the job satisfaction is greater when finished and of course a lump sum of money rather than getting paid in dribs and drabs......i still prefer regular smaller repeat jobs even if i dont earn quite as much as a larger one off........its not all about the money.......
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »
I prefer to bang out regular domestic work. Main reason being no one really has an idea or cares what hourly rate I hit. Whereas if I had some big jobs taking let’s say 2 hours, you can be sure the hourly rate will be questioned by some. This is what I’ve found in my area, might be different in other areas of the country.

Windy Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 08:02:27 pm »
Have a couple of very large houses which both take the majority of the day to clean. But I always find myself completely knackered compared to a day cleaning smaller properties for the same money in total.
The small breaks in the van driving from job to job are a relief giving the shoulders and neck a quick break before you do it all over again and that alone makes it a lot more pleasant.

DeLuce

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 08:14:14 pm »
I prefer the domestic work , consistent and well priced. Like Jonny said, if you lose one for some reason, it’s not going to dent the bank account too much.
I quite like small commercial jobs though. I’ve got a few , doctors surgeries and some small units ,that I clean, which I do early morning when all is quiet. 
 This may seem a bit weird to some, but I would hate to be stuck in one place for ages doing the job. I like moving on!!!