koopmaster

Things aren't looking good for the phantom pole!!
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:55:37 pm »
Got my 25 f phantom last night ..
I'll write a review later but it's had to be returned as pole 2 has a fault.. to big and is scraping itself.. plus a few other issues.. refund and I'll get a slx next week.. boy am I mad..

NWH

Re: Things aren't looking good for the phantom pole!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »
The grass is always greener I nearly made the same mistake by ordering a different make pole lol.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:13:21 pm »
done that with a phantom pole , gardiners all the way so reliable :-)

zesty

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:23:39 pm »
Always amazes me how many people stray away from gardiner poles. You can’t beat them, it’s never worth trying out other companies poles, it always leads to disappointment!

Michael Peterson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:37 pm »
its like an imbuilt urge :-)

deeege

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:15:20 pm »
Got my 25 f phantom last night ..
I'll write a review later but it's had to be returned as pole 2 has a fault.. to big and is scraping itself.. plus a few other issues.. refund and I'll get a slx next week.. boy am I mad..

Did you ask your wife if you could get a Gardiners pole instead?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Slash

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:15:53 pm »
I was going to  treat myself to one as I've looked on Youtube for reviews,you cant beat Gardiners,I've bought the Ova 8 from Streamline too.
They both do great poles.

mufcglen

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 08:47:22 pm »
I’ve got best of both worlds using an extreme with phantom clamps!
I don’t like the thinner top section poles of phantom and I’ve read the carbon isn’t as good as gardiner but then I can’t stand the dreaded black carbon hand from gardiner smart clamps and they Definately wear poles out more than phantom clamps do.
My only issue I’ve had was the phantom clamps when clamped was still allowing the pole to spin slightly however I’ve now sorted that but opening the clamping part up doing away with some plastic and now the clamps are nice and tight clamping but very free when loose, the actual clamping leaver is smoother than any other pole clamps I’ve had in past too.
A bit of messing about but I feel I have the perfect pole now that hopefully won’t wear out as quick and I don’t get black hands!

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 10:48:14 pm »
I don’t like the thinner top section poles of phantom and I’ve read the carbon isn’t as good as gardiner but then I can’t stand the dreaded black carbon hand from gardiner smart clamps and they Definately wear poles out more than phantom clamps do.
My only issue I’ve had was the phantom clamps when clamped was still allowing the pole to spin slightly however I’ve now sorted that but opening the clamping part up doing away with some plastic and now the clamps are nice and tight clamping but very free when loose, the actual clamping leaver is smoother than any other pole clamps I’ve had in past too.
A bit of messing about but I feel I have the perfect pole now that hopefully won’t wear out as quick and I don’t get black hands!

Lol why buy an extream pole for hundreds of pounds cut off perfectly good clamps and put some other unproven clamps on it ?... I have had every extream pole that has been in the market there is nothing wrong with there clamps

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:58:19 pm »
What's wrong with the pole?

I bought a phantom 18 carbon on black Friday and I like the pole.

I wouldn't say its any better than an slx but so far I don't think it's worse either...

I only bought it because of the 25% off otherwise I think gardiners are better value.

mufcglen

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:58 pm »

Lol why buy an extream pole for hundreds of pounds cut off perfectly good clamps and put some other unproven clamps on it ?... I have had every extream pole that has been in the market there is nothing wrong with there clamps

Read my post again and it’ll answer your question pal ;)

david mark

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »
Ive had my Phantom 18 for 4 months not happy with it will go back to Gardiner poles next month

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 06:52:30 pm »
My Phantom is  4 Months.
Dissapointed with the clamps think they where over hyped and not a game changer has suggested by certain influencers that where given free poles.
Hope the owner Mr Fox  of WCW reads  these comments would love his explanation for the clamps poor performance.
Spit and polish

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »
i dont get why you guys dont stick with gardiner poles,alex,s customer service is second to none,a really great family company....no need to go elsewhere for poles IMO....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 07:08:03 pm »
My Phantom is  4 Months.
Dissapointed with the clamps think they where over hyped and not a game changer has suggested by certain influencers that where given free poles.
Hope the owner Mr Fox  of WCW reads  these comments would love his explanation for the clamps poor performance.

mr fox comes across as an  arrogant little s**t.......i might be wrong but thats what my intuition is telling me..... ;D

mufcglen

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:05 pm »
The biggest issue with phantom clamps for me is the gap between where they close up when you tighten the lever, if the gap was bigger it would allow the whole clamp to close more on the pole and stop any spinning but I e already sorted that on mine now by filing the plastic away making the gap bigger!
As I’ve said many times before black hands is a big issue for me and I don’t get it with phantom over gardiner, I do think the feel of the gardiner with the shims and springs feels better however since I’ve modded the phantom clamps they are absolutely effortless opening and closing.
I know Alex G has said he’s tested all sorts of clamps and says there’s no difference in wear but I beg to differ having used both, 3-4 months now on my xtreme brand new fitted with phantom clamps and the pole still has the new taped ridged feel to it!!
I will still replace the pole anyway after 12-14 months but hopefully I won’t snap a section like I did last pole after 11 months then 13 months.
I just can’t stand the dreaded carbon hand and I’ve used gloves in past and end up catching them on clamps ripping them so for now the phantom is the best choice and even better now I’ve modified them to work properly.
The softer insert idea is for sure an improvement in clamp technology but just needs tweaking to be bang on

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 10:56:45 pm »
The biggest issue with phantom clamps for me is the gap between where they close up when you tighten the lever, if the gap was bigger it would allow the whole clamp to close more on the pole and stop any spinning but I e already sorted that on mine now by filing the plastic away making the gap bigger!
As I’ve said many times before black hands is a big issue for me and I don’t get it with phantom over gardiner, I do think the feel of the gardiner with the shims and springs feels better however since I’ve modded the phantom clamps they are absolutely effortless opening and closing.
I know Alex G has said he’s tested all sorts of clamps and says there’s no difference in wear but I beg to differ having used both, 3-4 months now on my xtreme brand new fitted with phantom clamps and the pole still has the new taped ridged feel to it!!
I will still replace the pole anyway after 12-14 months but hopefully I won’t snap a section like I did last pole after 11 months then 13 months.
I just can’t stand the dreaded carbon hand and I’ve used gloves in past and end up catching them on clamps ripping them so for now the phantom is the best choice and even better now I’ve modified them to work properly.
The softer insert idea is for sure an improvement in clamp technology but just needs tweaking to be bang on

my xtreme 25 is the same age as yours.....i wear black disposable gloves every day so i dont notice the black hands.i have had to nip up the 2 top clamps a bit as its starting to wear a bit but not too much.....ive also made a decision to just buy a new xtreme 25 every year from now on,sod it....... :)...they make every working day so much easier.....

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 11:06:18 pm »
A bit of messing about but I feel I have the perfect pole now that hopefully won’t wear out as quick and I don’t get black hands

I have never had black hands from using an extream pole and I have had them in every version ever made ,the slx yes I agree you do get black hands , phantom clamps from what I have seen from ones friends have arnt very good they ware badly and sections spin , Gardiners poles are probably the best poles on the market , never had a problem with there clamps , I still say who would spend hundreds or over a thousand pounds on a pole and cut off perfectly good clamps shortening the pole voiding the warrantee ?.. absolute madness 😬😬😬😬

mufcglen

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:43 am »
A bit of messing about but I feel I have the perfect pole now that hopefully won’t wear out as quick and I don’t get black hands

I have never had black hands from using an extream pole and I have had them in every version ever made ,the slx yes I agree you do get black hands , phantom clamps from what I have seen from ones friends have arnt very good they ware badly and sections spin , Gardiners poles are probably the best poles on the market , never had a problem with there clamps , I still say who would spend hundreds or over a thousand pounds on a pole and cut off perfectly good clamps shortening the pole voiding the warrantee ?.. absolute madness 😬😬😬😬

Next time I need a pole I’ll pay you to order it pal as you must get some magic ones that don’t give carbon dust off😂
Why do you think slx give carbon dust wear off and xtremes don’t, are the clamps different as I thought they was the same and aren’t both poles carbon?
Like I say i can’t stand black hands but maybe I’m buying the wrong xtreme poles if you say you don’t get it lol, Ive actually used 2 sets of phantom clamps now over a year or 2 on 2 different xtremes so feel I know what I’m talking about rather than listen to mates or look at others, honestly if I didn’t think phantom clamps wore less than xtremes do you think I’d be mad to cut brand new gardiner clamps off the minute the pole got delivered.
As for warranty and gardiner personally I think when you buy an xtreme thst goes out the window, my first xtreme I had 11 months before it wore thin and snapped a section, was told it was due to lack of maintenance basically yet I religiously tape my pole once a month and wash it down every week or two along with dry ptfe spray, luckily Alex sent me a new section as a good Will gesture but then 2 months later another section went.
I’m not too fussed though as for £5-£600 whatever it is for an xtreme22 if I get 12 months I’m happy with the money they earn us.
From my experience of using both though, softer rubber inserts are the future for pole wear as it’s a no brainer having something soft and smooth that your pole slides in and out of rather than a tougher plastic sleeve that gets more course and rough over time, whether that idea is patented by wcw now I don’t know but if there was a gardiner clamp with the same idea I would buy that tomorrow as the actual smart clamps lever are still better with the shims and springs to give nice leverage action!

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:48 am »
I bought the Phantom because my previous SLX wore badly as well  and was driving me crazy with spinning.
It was said  the inserts would wear on phantom not the pole  thus eliminating pole spinning but this seems not to be the case.i wonder if the carbon material  is softer on the newer poles because previous poles didn't wear as fast.
Spit and polish