markheaney2

old leaded windows
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:13 pm »
can anyone please tell me the exact procedure for cleaning old leaded windows at the moment i am washing them with the wand then wiping down with a damp microfibre cloth and then finishing off with a scrim any help would be welcome
triple ladders frighten me

Gurdy

Re: old leaded windows
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »
Hi! I clean lots of leaded windows round my way. Most of the time done with reach and wash system. If done by hand i use a damp soapy cloth the buff them up with a clean dry unger micro fibre cloth. . Very very fast and leaves them spotless.

rg1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »
Does reach & wash work ok on leaded windows?
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Gurdy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
Water fed pole is superb on leaded windows.

niceandclean

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »
Hi! I clean lots of leaded windows round my way. Most of the time done with reach and wash system. If done by hand i use a damp soapy cloth the buff them up with a clean dry unger micro fibre cloth. . Very very fast and leaves them spotless.

Same here, those unger micro fibre clothes are brilliant for leads.

markheaney2

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:18:33 pm »
so if you do a big house with leaded windows how many cloths would you go through because the microfibre cloth you finish off with must get wet quickly

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »
If you have a lot, just dab your applicator on the glass in a few places, rub over with a scrim, then buff up with the green unger MF. Can do a large house with both cloths.

markheaney2

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »
thanks for the info ive got 130 large leaded windows to do on monday massive house

markheaney2

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:27 pm »
ok then maybe monday tuesday wednesday some triple ladder work as well ???no im not worried at all           maybe just a bit

niceandclean

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:01 pm »
ok then maybe monday tuesday wednesday some triple ladder work as well ???no im not worried at all           maybe just a bit

Good luck  ;D

markheaney2

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:31 pm »
thanks mate

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:54:34 pm »
thanks for the info ive got 130 large leaded windows to do on monday massive house
jus wfp it
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

paul rulton

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:24:30 pm »
this guy is bang on the button 4 trad ;) lammys quote is also bang on  ;)

tom2009

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 02:31:32 pm »
does it matter what sort of brush you use? I've just got a wcw backpack with a vikan brush and have been asked to quote for a house with lots of leaded windows and am just slightly worried that the lead may get knocked about by the stiffish brush. (WFP novice as you can tell)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »
does it matter what sort of brush you use? I've just got a wcw backpack with a vikan brush and have been asked to quote for a house with lots of leaded windows and am just slightly worried that the lead may get knocked about by the stiffish brush. (WFP novice as you can tell)

Washing it with a brush is nowhere near as rough treatment as rubbing it with scrim/microfibre etc

stucooper

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 05:59:16 pm »
Hi all , as well as wfp window cleaning i am also a traditional leaded light  maker with over 25 years exprience when making new leaded lights i use a floor scrubbing brush with very stiff bristles to cement the glass into the led came however depening  upon the age of the leaded lights the lead can become very thin and tissue like. I first heard of wfp on a leaded light job where the architect spcified cleaning the leaded lights using pure water hence my window cleanng career began
to summerise i would only ever use wfp to clean LL just turn down the water a bit more than usual as they often leak and be gentle with the brush as they can bend and deform it is also worth noting that i have had to repair / replace hundreds of LL where the lead has been badly damaged by window cleaners rubbing too hard with a cloth and lifting /bending and eventually breaking the lead cames
not trying to be bias in any way you use the method that suits you

chers stu

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »
Water fed pole is great on stick-on lead on new windows.
But I used it on an old house with proper leaded ones and it nearly flooded the bedrooms. :-\

Make sure they're not the old individual panes ones.

windolene

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

Hi,

Attention.

Never ever use soapy water with a cloth on glass, I thought that was the first thing learnt for every window cleaner. When the sun shines you will see nothing but smears, guaranteed.

Only ever use just tap water or window cleaning spray from cloth or spray bottle, then buff dry with scrim or microfiber.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

simon knight

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »

Hi,

Attention.

Never ever use soapy water with a cloth on glass, I thought that was the first thing learnt for every window cleaner. When the sun shines you will see nothing but smears, guaranteed.

Only ever use just tap water or window cleaning spray from cloth or spray bottle, then buff dry with scrim or microfiber.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Even window cleaning sprays often leave smears. Spray bottle filled with pure water does the trick for me.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 10:50:23 pm »
i just use a dry scrim to clean leaded windows

mileslake

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:56 pm »
What is wrong with asking the customer, on the first clean, to check for leaks as you go round the house.  I always do with old leaded windows.

Only ever had one customer who went back to a ragger and she was a wierdo anyway.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:56 am »
What is wrong with asking the customer, on the first clean, to check for leaks as you go round the house.  I always do with old leaded windows.

Only ever had one customer who went back to a ragger and she was a wierdo anyway.
scrim quicker

daztheger

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 02:24:01 am »
nothing to do with cleaning

im a Heaney as well until now thought i was only Heaney washin windys    where u based

markheaney2

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:45 am »
hi there mr heaney i am based in chedworth near cirencester

markheaney2

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »
well i did the old leaded windows it has taken me monday tuesday and i will finish the job wednesday big big house 145 windows all uppers are triple ladder work thanks for all the help i did damp microfibre cloth then polished the window with a dry microfibre cloth the owner who is by the way richer than the queen said it is the best job he had ever had done on his windows hopefully this will lead to more recommends thanks once again for the help and information

markheaney2

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:51 pm »
sooo tired yes i charged what i thought was over the top and they accepted but i have to say lovely people sent the butler out with cups of coffee and biscuits

Wizard

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »
I cleans leads with spray and piere` water of the au naturally spring verity, only then do I  buff with hand woven silk clothe imported from the east. Butler only services champagne and  canapés while I am there.

It tough being "Posh Window Appointments" to the rich and famous

Ste M

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »
mark is that a pic of you cleaning it on your profile?

markheaney2

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 10:32:38 pm »
yes that is me on that big job today my wife came down and footed the ladders for a while so she took some photos while she was there

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:09 pm »
...and get a WFP (if you haven't got one) and that job will be brilliant.
Wouldn't be too sure of that Tosh...

It's got "stone frames" if you know what I mean.
They're porous unlike UPVC or painted wood, and they often leak dirty water down the glass.
I've got a nursery like that, and I try not to clean the top of the glass for that reason.

Ask Ian about the Almshouses by the Five Alls...they're a pig to do and they run sandy water like mad, but they're really old folk with net curtains and he gets away with it. ;D