welshwindows

making money on rainy days!
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:05:51 am »
ok so its another poop day, so i guess thats no income today right?
any ideas out there on how to make money on rainy days? ive been thinking more and more about mayby branching out into the pressure washing industry,pavings and so on....
any one at it already? any tips?
thank you

Re: making money on rainy days!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:24 am »
Personally, I clean windows. I guess you could try that.  ::)

welshwindows

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:14:49 am »
my customers are mostly domestic and dont like their windows cleaned while its raining or even if it looks like it might rain. the customer is always right!!

welshwindows

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:20:42 am »
plus your business name is sunshine cleaning!!!

Pj

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:41 am »
When I started wfp lots of guys on here said "just do them in the rain, it won't effect the windows"
They also said, "If the customer don't like it dump them"

Well I tried...My conclusion after nearly 5 years wfp?  It's ok for commercial work in light rain, but not residential.  I have lost residential customers because I tried to argue with them that it's ok in the rain, and I have been told by many of my residential customers not to clean their windows in the rain.

So for me it is a no no, I can't clean residential in the rain, if I dump them I'd be dumping them all.  This is by far the worst winter I've had in 23 years window cleaning!  Snow, freezing and now rain.  If I didn't have commercial work I would be finished.

welshwindows

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:33:12 am »
cant really afford to dump customers as they are all good earners. probably could look for more commercial work, prefer the residential customers though.

colley614

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:37 am »
what I would do if I were you is try getting some gutter and internals done. Maybe get yourself a jet wash and do some of that to. If any customers ask me to do their insides or gutters I ask them to wait until winter so then I have a bit ready for the wet day.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:15 am »
I'm new to this game (nearly done a year) and I clean in the rain. I'm all domestic. The rain doesn't affect window cleans. I tell all my customers that I clean in light to medium rain and that if they are not happy with the result that I will re-clean them for free. I've never had one person call me back because of the rain. I had one customer call to say that her windows were gleaming after it had rained.

My customers like a regular service, so that's what I provide. If it looked like rain they would only get cleaned 4-5 times a year. That's no good for them and no good for me money wise.

I went to a friends house yesterday who has a traditional cleaner. Her windows were a right mess. She said its because he cleaned them, then a couple of days later it peed it down.

Try it on your own windows and see the results for yourself.
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Pj

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:34:48 am »
"I'm new to this game (nearly done a year)"

Hmmm...

Well done!  The rain must be different where you are.  Or maybe you go collecting with that dog!

Maybe I should dump all my customers then!

formb

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
Don't dump your customers. Educate them. Rain water is 99% pure most of the time. If you are using wfp correctly and cleaning all vents and frames then the rain will actually improve the efficiency of your system. We have a starter pack for new customers that explains this and most of them are OK with it. Most of my customers are out when we do them and when they get home from work their windows are clean no matter what the weather has done.

rg1

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:14 am »
So PJ,

Is it because your customers don't like you cleaning their windows in the rain?

Or is it that you have found a problem doing wfp in the rain?
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:07:43 pm »
my customers are mostly domestic and dont like their windows cleaned while its raining or even if it looks like it might rain. the customer is always right!!

We all know that the customer is NEVER right, but it dose help if they think they are.

It is a matter of educating your customers. Now this takes time but can be achieved. Try using Gold's rain guarantee, or like me you could tell your customers that if they are not happy with the clean they don't need to pay until they are. You will get the odd one who tries it on but on the whole it works well for me.
Do you present a professional image or are you the local lad making ends meet? It can make a difference with what you can get away with.
Do you leave the house at the same time each morning or do you 'wait till it's cleared'? Two benefits to leaving the house as if to work, even if it's raining.
1. As soon as you feel brave enough you can start working straight away.
2. Customers get used to seeing your sign written van and will expect that you will call.

I find it is mostly in our own head about working in the rain and it depends on how we present it to customers.

"Hi Mrs Smith, Do you mind if I work while it's raining"
She has the option to say "Yes I do mind"

"Hi Mrs Smith, We offer an 'All Year Round' window cleaning service so you will always have regularly cleaned windows."

If she then asks (which is unlikely) "Do you clean in the rain" Show her the Rain Guarantee.

If the above isn't helpful then I would seriously work out if window cleaning is for you as trying to make a living as a fair weather window cleaner is quite hard.

daz1977

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:12 pm »
 never use to clean in the rain, a bit of lazy and not wanting to up set custys,  but now i go out every mornig till the weather gets to bad and i havent had 1 custy say dont clean in the rain,,  if the rain is ligth just carry on,  but if it is crap dont bother,

i use a simple rule if its raining i sit in my van and put the intrim windscreen wiper on  (the first setting) and see how bad it gets between wipes, usually about 10 seconds,  if its ok go out and clean, if not go home for a bit

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:17:41 pm »
never use to clean in the rain, a bit of lazy and not wanting to up set custys,  but now i go out every mornig till the weather gets to bad and i havent had 1 custy say dont clean in the rain,,  if the rain is ligth just carry on,  but if it is crap dont bother,

i use a simple rule if its raining i sit in my van and put the intrim windscreen wiper on  (the first setting) and see how bad it gets between wipes, usually about 10 seconds,  if its ok go out and clean, if not go home for a bit

That's the spirit!!

mci services

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »
When I started wfp lots of guys on here said "just do them in the rain, it won't effect the windows"
They also said, "If the customer don't like it dump them"

Well I tried...My conclusion after nearly 5 years wfp?  It's ok for commercial work in light rain, but not residential.  I have lost residential customers because I tried to argue with them that it's ok in the rain, and I have been told by many of my residential customers not to clean their windows in the rain.

So for me it is a no no, I can't clean residential in the rain, if I dump them I'd be dumping them all.  This is by far the worst winter I've had in 23 years window cleaning!  Snow, freezing and now rain.  If I didn't have commercial work I would be finished.

your problems starts in the statement above, you tried to argue with them.

just turn up and start cleaning as if its the most normal thing in the world. if one says not in this weather, just say fine i will get you next time, smile and move on. they will then either panick and demand you come back on a nice day, this is where you explain your busy schedule and rain guarentee. if that doesnt work just smile and do them next time. very few will even ask.

you dont need to dump them either just keep them on the books till you can afford not to have them.

mci services

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:03:09 pm »
can i just add  that the reason i can post on here at 2pm is i am up to date with all my work and finished for the day. the reason for this is i clean windows in the rain unless i deem it unsafe to do so

ivesonswc

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »
If you wanted to make money on rainy days you could pimp yourself out to all those house wifes you meet on the round . ;D :-*

you could make up a exras list  :o

basiljohn

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:12 pm »
I save all gutter cleans and conservatory roof cleans up to do on rainy days

welshwindows

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:56 pm »
ive decided to save other work for wet days. any tips on facias,gutters, patio pressure washing out there? ive only ever done winows!
any tips on pricing would be great as i dont want to go in too cheap or expensive.

welshwindows

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »
I save all gutter cleans and conservatory roof cleans up to do on rainy days

i struggle giving it away mate!!!!!!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »

NO they are not!!!!
Try educating them?
I clean in the rain!
The only time I stop is when I make the call not the customer, ususally when I am soaked through.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

welshwindows

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »
If you wanted to make money on rainy days you could pimp yourself out to all those house wifes you meet on the round . ;D :-*

you could make up a exras list  :o

i struggle giving ia away mate!! i also struggle on computers....see above!

welshwindows

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »

NO they are not!!!!
Try educating them?
I clean in the rain!
The only time I stop is when I make the call not the customer, ususally when I am soaked through.

Matt

what i ment by the customer is always right is if they tell you not to do them because its raining even after trying to educate them on the matter, thats final! its their house so their decesion. are you wfp?

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 02:37:19 pm »
Yes I am WFP.
When I take on a new customer I tell them from the start that I clean in the rain.
its upto them if they take me on as their window cleaner.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

rg1

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »
I was cleaning the other day in rain and the customer said 'I didn't expect to see you today'

My reply was: This system (wfp) can work all day in the rain, unfortunately the operator is the weak link. When I am completely soaked through, I will have to go home.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Mo

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:04 pm »
I'm new to this game (nearly done a year) and I clean in the rain. I'm all domestic. The rain doesn't affect window cleans. I tell all my customers that I clean in light to medium rain and that if they are not happy with the result that I will re-clean them for free. I've never had one person call me back because of the rain. I had one customer call to say that her windows were gleaming after it had rained.

My customers like a regular service, so that's what I provide. If it looked like rain they would only get cleaned 4-5 times a year. That's no good for them and no good for me money wise.

I went to a friends house yesterday who has a traditional cleaner. Her windows were a right mess. She said its because he cleaned them, then a couple of days later it peed it down.

Try it on your own windows and see the results for yourself.

Well said I'm new to this game to 6 years now
I tell all my customers that I clean in light to medium rain and that if they are not happy with the result that I will re-clean them 4 free

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
I still do a few trad. Today did them in the rain, no problems. As a previous poster said, do it like it is the most normal thing in the world.

The problem with 'saving' pressure washing/insides/gutters is that you often have to make appointments anyway. 

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 03:56:28 pm »
We got around the bad weather by branching out into contract cleaning and carpet cleaning. We clean night clubs, a school and various office blocks very early in the morning and then get out cleaning windows. We clean a lot of carpets, which is nice until I'm in a customers house looking out of the window at a lovely sunny day and thinking to myself, " I should be catching up with some window cleaning " :-\

At least this way we have guarenteed income whatever the weather throws at us :)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

daz1977

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 04:56:39 pm »
u seem to have a lot of people in during the day, if its raining, go do the area where u know they are all working, and no one is home  and just do them

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »
ive been out cleaning in the rain trad today.it was coming down heavy at times!not one custy said anything!didnt hit anywhere near what i would earn in a good full dry day but ok.better than nowt!!

i explain to the custy that sometimes i will have to clean in the rain sometimes as its my only income and ive got a busy schedule to work through!bills to pay etc.occasionally ill get a not today in which case i just move on to the next house! ;D ;D ;D

turned down 3 gutter clearing jobs today as im not doing them anymore!outsides only now!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!