Tosh

I had a big female receptionist complain to me this morning, 'cos I was dripping water all over their windows. 

I clean the offices above their establishment, and there's no way I'm going to use a ladder.  Especially since I did offer my services to them (they're new - just moved in - not poaching) and they've found a cheaper window cleaner (I know this as they asked for three quotes) and I know the window cleaner who got the job; he cleaned them on Saturday.

Anyway, this big battle-axe came running out shouting 'stop stop' and I carried on working; I knew what was comming.

She told me that they'd only had their windows cleaned yesturday and that I was making them all wet.

I explained, while still working that there's a lot of 'elf 'n' safety about these days, and this is the way I do it.

She repeated that she'd just had her windows cleaned yesturday.

I then went onto explain that there was very little difference between pure water and rain water; and that it had rained last night; anyway!

She repeated that she'd just had her windows cleaned yesturday; once more; so I decided to 'split a few hairs'; wind her up a bit; and told her that she was lying.  I know her window cleaner and I know when he did them and it wasn't yesturday, and her windows had been rained on at least five times since then.

She turned red; especially when I called her a liar!  I know I shouldn't use such provacative language; but I do like to wind people up; I can't help myself!

I did help her out in the end and told her that I always clean this particular account first thing, on the 1st working day of each month, and to get her window cleaner to come later in the day.

But just to be a proper wind up merchant, I may do it on the 2nd or 3rd working day of next month. ;D

How do you lot deal with situations like this?

simon knight

I would have charged her a tenner for giving her windows the extra rinse ;D

Clear Vision

Nothing at all!!

Tuff  ;D

Mike_G

I would give them a quick wipe afterwards, if the water hitting the bottoms have splashed off the sill or wall it will not dry well.

pure_genius

Sounds like a job for Ionic's new Pro-10...

jeff1

I haven't had this problem yet, but if I do, its going to be tuff on them, or if I don't want any aggro, then a quick blade off at the bottom and no more.

Tosh

I haven't had this problem yet, but if I do, its going to be tuff on them, or if I don't want any aggro, then a quick blade off at the bottom and no more.

There's too many ground floor windows for me to do this; not without it being a pain in the ass.

Each 1st floor window I do is approximately four foot by three foot square; single panes of glass and there's about 23 to 26 of them.  A class job with WFP; easy access; there's no way I'm using ladders.

But there's a similar number on the ground floor, and by blading the ground floor windows, it would seem to me like admitting 'defeat' and that my water is worse than the rain.

jeff1

I see and understand what your saying Tosh but isn't the dripping water contaminated water, that can leave the bottom windows dirty??

If you can, I think Bear had the right answer, if the above is true, Do it before they arrive and do a runner ;D ;D

Tosh

If you can, I think Bear had the right answer, if the above is true, Do it before they arrive and do a runner ;D ;D

I could do it extra early, but that would be a buggerance for me, since I do the insides of this place too, and to gain entrance I need to be finished the exterior by 8.15/8.30 am.  I always plan to finish the outside windows, just as the first office employee arrives into work.

If I did the exterior earlier, I'd have to either hang-about or return later to do the interior of this job; and I'm not prepared to do that.

I think I've just got to be hard-headed about it; and hopefully the ground floor 'mob' can organise their window cleaner to turn up just after I've finished.

This sort of stuff spoils a good job for me; and no doubt winds up the 'ground floor mob' and may even wind up the window cleaner who cleans downstairs; whose a canny enough lad; but often sells himself too cheaply.

jeff1

Aha! I see your problem  :( Then do it nicley Tosh, ;D and tell her to bugger off, if she can't get her cleaner to turn up after you,
But we all know this may be impossible, so she'll just have to grin and bear it. does she put window blinds up when it rains ::) I doubt it.

Paul Coleman

I had a big female receptionist complain to me this morning, 'cos I was dripping water all over their windows. 

I clean the offices above their establishment, and there's no way I'm going to use a ladder.  Especially since I did offer my services to them (they're new - just moved in - not poaching) and they've found a cheaper window cleaner (I know this as they asked for three quotes) and I know the window cleaner who got the job; he cleaned them on Saturday.

Anyway, this big battle-axe came running out shouting 'stop stop' and I carried on working; I knew what was comming.

She told me that they'd only had their windows cleaned yesturday and that I was making them all wet.

I explained, while still working that there's a lot of 'elf 'n' safety about these days, and this is the way I do it.

I then went onto explain that there was very little difference between pure water and rain water; and that it had rained last night; anyway!

She repeated that she'd just had her windows cleaned yesturday; once more; so I decided to 'split a few hairs'; wind her up a bit; and told her that she was lying.  I know her window cleaner and I know when he did them and it wasn't yesturday, and her windows had been rained on at least five times since then.

She turned red; especially when I called her a liar!  I know I shouldn't use such provacative language; but I do like to wind people up; I can't help myself!

I did help her out in the end and told her that I always clean this particular account first thing, on the 1st working day of each month, and to get her window cleaner to come later in the day.

But just to be a proper wind up merchant, I may do it on the 2nd or 3rd working day of next month. ;D

I had something like this happen at some flats.  My decision was easier.  I hated the job anyway so I told the customer that I wouldn't be back AND I had his downstairs neighbour as a ready made excuse.  What a coward aren't I?   ;D  .
I just wouldn't take on a job like yours now unless I had a discussion with the lower floor business BEFORE I started it.  It's just too much aggravation any other way.

Paul Coleman

Just to asdd to my other post.  Tosh.  Is there any way you can get a key and alarm code (if necessary) for the upstairs.  That way you can be away before ground floor have a clue you've been.  I've quoted a few commercial jobs before and I always ask about key access.  A few of them will actually go for it.

H h20

Tosh,
why don`t you go to work wearing that sexy gear in you avatar pic  :-*
the last thing on peoples minds will be dripping water  ;D
Gaz

Tosh

Tosh,
why don`t you go to work wearing that sexy gear in you avatar pic  :-*
the last thing on peoples minds will be dripping water  ;D
Gaz

Cheers, Gaz, I may just do that!

But just in case, does anyone else do anything different?

EasyClean

When it comes to cleaning flats, I won't clean any unless I speak to the caretaker of the property first and then he/she informs everyone  that I will be using WFP because of the Work At Height Regulations and that anyone wishing to have their windows cleaned on a regular interval within a set week to contact me and those who use the services of another window cleaner to inform them that I will be cleaning on such & such a week. The choice of window cleaner the occupiers choose is their decision. The choice of method for cleaning the windows for me is WFP and so they are all pre-warned in a polite way that I accept no responsibility for the drips running down any windows as they've made their choices.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

matt

the best way, and ive found this out myself

do them in the rain ;) aslong as the customer your cleaning is happy with it ( mine are ), then its ok, when the bottom flat / business come out and complain ( they wont, as they dont want to get wet ) just say " its raining "

works 100 %

gary evans

Tosh,

We have a similar problem as this on some jobs, but you,ve answered your question. Try to get them to organise there w/c to call after, have is number & call him yourself, (If he,s trad there may be a trade-off for work or jobs he,s unable to do within h&s) or give a quick blade off to clean them.

Gary

ac_cleaning

Tosh
Say you got to the job 15 20 mins early  just blade off the bottoms (not the whole windows)saves any agro,and would not take to long,while your waiting for the office to open
al

Spruce

Tosh
Why don't you approach the other window cleaner yourself and come to some arrangement. You could even buy the downstairs customer from your fellow cleaner or rent the business and WFP them all.
Just a thought.
I have several second floor flats and haven't had a problem yet with the downstairs occupants - but then there is always a first for everything!
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Paul Coleman

Hey Tosh.
You'll have to buy an Ionics Pro-10 just to do this one job  :)

Tosh

Shiner,  the Pro-10 looks pretty big?  Will it fit in my pram?

stevekennedy

Had this exact problem today. Cleaned first floor flat. DOwnstairs flat took a strop. Tried very hard to placate her. Explained about H&S, Dried her garden seat which had gotten wet. Even bladed the bottom of her windows. (Something I never usually do) The more I did for her, the more irate she became. VERY STRANGE  ???

One of her windows wasn't closed properly and so a (tiny) drop of water had gotten into the channel of the frame. She claimed that I was "soaking" her flat. I offered to ring her bell first next time so she could close her windows. She slammed the door on me saying she was going to call my "boss". Since I run the company, I thought this might be a laugh. 10 seconds later the call she had placed to our office was patched through to my mobile. Should have seen her face  ;D

What I would like to know is where we stand legally on this issue? If I were to ring her door and she refused to close her windows (Perhaps even opening them wide). WHat could I do? If I were to go ahead and clean the windows, soaking her flat, would we be liable for the damage? COuld she be forced to close her windows?

Any thoughts?

Adam Boss

Tosh, Spuce got it right, you said you know the window cleaner so why don't you come to an agreement that you clean the tops  and then he can clean the bottom windows a day later. That way everyone is happy.

Adam ;D ;D
EST: 1988

Tosh

The more I did for her, the more irate she became. VERY STRANGE  ???

Any thoughts?

I think she just sounds like a 'not very nice person'; you're only a pooey window cleaner after all - how dare you; and you should make every effort to wind her up as much as you can.

Anyway, for my problem, I've relented and now turn up 15 minutes earlier and then blade off the bottom windows.

They can 'swivel' if they want me to do anymore than that; which includes liaising with the other window cleaner over dates and stuff.

stevekennedy

I'll see what I can do to antagonise her as much as possible  ;)

craig jwc

I clean some flats where the bottom one doesn't want a w/c.
She asked me to do them a couple of times and each time i went back the following month i got told "Not Today thank you".
So i didn't bother after that.
I still do the flats above and she used to moan about the water running down her windows.
She told me i had to clean hers for nothing or she would phone my boss and tell him how rude i was and refused to clean the windows.
She told me to stand next to her whilst she phoned.
My mobile started to ring so i told her to excuse me for a minute whilst i go outside and answer the phone whist she speaks to the boss.
Well i had a bit of fun on the phone with her and came back a few minutes after the call.
She told me my boss had said that if she thought about it she was getting a free clean with the water washing the dirt from her windows when ther flat above was cleaned.
She finally told me i could go but had complained to my boss about me and he was going to watch me infuture.
She told me that it was understandable how it was my boss that was running this business and not me as he was very polite and explained everything to her whilst i was out talking on the phone.
I could barly keep a straight face.

This week i have had to go look at pricing 10 flats above a pub. I'm going to have a similar problem as the pub uses another wc.
End of the day i am going to clean the flats and not worry about the pub below.
The pub gets cleaned every week and the flats only want doing every 4.

Craig

marc

i was cleaning a 2nd floor flat and the women on the first floor was waving at me i thought another customer so stopped turned my radio and water off and all she wanted was to say i was making her windows dirty if she had a window cleaner or they were clean i would understand but her windows and frames were ROTTEN she was trying to get her windows done for free i was shooked cheaky cow i just said it was clean water and carried on working

JohnL

Craig jwc -

;D       ;D       ;D       ;D
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

trevor perry

why not just rinse the drips of with the water from the pole at the end of the job then they should dry ok. be polite and say to her to have a look at them when they are dry if they are not good next time you will squeege the water of or if she wants next time her window cleaner comes tell him the problem and that you are willing to buy the job of him so tops and bottoms can be done at same time. i know that sometimes it is really hard to be polite with people that are being unreasonable but i always try to give it a go before resorting to being as nasty as they are.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

* mike RH

She told me i had to clean hers for nothing or she would phone my boss and tell him how rude i was and refused to clean the windows.
She told me to stand next to her whilst she phoned.
My mobile started to ring so i told her to excuse me for a minute whilst i go outside and answer the phone whist she speaks to the boss.
Well i had a bit of fun on the phone with her and came back a few minutes after the call.
She told me my boss had said that if she thought about it she was getting a free clean with the water washing the dirt from her windows when ther flat above was cleaned.
She finally told me i could go but had complained to my boss about me and he was going to watch me infuture.
She told me that it was understandable how it was my boss that was running this business and not me as he was very polite and explained everything to her whilst i was out talking on the phone.
I could barly keep a straight face.

Top class  ;D

Helen

As yours is a commercial job, why not ask the person you have the contract with to have a word and perhaps hand them a written explanation(with your help) of why you use your system and explain that they would be going against H & S to use another method. The idea of buying the donwstairs job is a good one if possible, so what, even if it is less than what you would charge, you would already be there on the spot anyway. so would be making that extra ££ in one hit. Otherwise I would wait for the other cleaner to clean and then go round out of social hours so that no-one sees you, do your clean and then go back and haev a look at the outcome when everything has dried. You then have peace of mind for yourself how the downstairs would turn out even with your dripping water...one way or another ;D

cherubs cleaning

do the bottoms for free ,u will soon get it all.

jerry