paul alan

Winning new work
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:11 am »
Whats everyone using as they're "usp's" when selling they're services to potential new customers?

Especialy in commercial, nursing homes and the likes.

Have picked a couple up recently and would like some more, l have one in mind lm going to "chat" with.

I'm trying look past the usual we turn up on time and do a great job type stuff, there must be more to it?

paul alan

Re: Winning new work
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:15 am »
My curent plan is just to do the best job possible. look, talk , and act professional (wingint it slightly) be likeable.

And it seems to be working well.

But what words and phrases and terms do you use to get the "yes".

I understand its horses for courses with different types of customer but lm looking at the more "affluent" market as they seem to appreciate the work we put in more.

Dave Anderson

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:53 pm »
Paul...just keep on doing what you are doing.... The best way to get new good work is by word of mouth... ok yes that takes time but it will come.... "Do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it and if you cannot, inform the customer without delay" this I find works....USP..... ok for a beer commercials but we are window cleaners....People, business's just want what everyone wants... A good honest service at a mutually agreed price and the service they are paying for.

No need to get an advertising guru in  ;) keep doing what you are doing and all will be well (unless of course you are a scouser then you're in deep doodoo).
The more I know the less I know I know ...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »
Paul, if that picture in your profile is indeed your lovely wife then get her to canvass for you.

;D

Seriously - Mrs. Gold is rather older than your wife but she still scrubs up well and can string a sentence or two together. She canvassed an area of "nice" houses in between existing work for me and has got me some of my best work.

You know ... "Hello, my husband's the local window cleaner and is working just down the lane/street, have you got a window cleaner at the moment? ... " and off she goes. Gets the name, addy, can call me over to give a price or in half an hours time etc..

It builds trust to see you working and as a "team".
It's a game of three halves!

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:38:45 pm »
Paul, if that picture in your profile is indeed your lovely wife then get her to canvass for you.

;D

Seriously - Mrs. Gold is rather older than your wife but she still scrubs up well and can string a sentence or two together. She canvassed an area of "nice" houses in between existing work for me and has got me some of my best work.

You know ... "Hello, my husband's the local window cleaner and is working just down the lane/street, have you got a window cleaner at the moment? ... " and off she goes. Gets the name, addy, can call me over to give a price or in half an hours time etc..

That's what my mrs does (avatar) - it's amazing what her baps do for our business

sunshine windows

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:52:41 pm »

;D

Best advice on here for a while this!

It's amazing the doors a female can open, where a man can't
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

paul alan

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:00 pm »
Yes it is my wife, but she wouldnt entertain the idea of canvassing. Ive already tried.

The works coming in well, but l have a taste for some certain type of work and would like more of it.

We go to every first clean with the intention of realy impressing the customer, some types though its just a waste of time.

But the better off folk seem to notice the attention to detail more and appreciate it, lm starting to think thats our place in the market so would like to target it.

And dave your right, l only ever miss if the weather stops me which isnt often. Then the txt/calls all go out.
One thing l hear from customers is that the old window cleaner used to turn when he wants, or l could never catch him for?!
Some people like to be in the know.

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:38:24 pm »
I find the wife is a double edged sword as men like to see her but their wives dont like to see them men liking to see her.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »
Paul...just keep on doing what you are doing.... The best way to get new good work is by word of mouth... ok yes that takes time but it will come.... "Do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it and if you cannot, inform the customer without delay" this I find works....USP..... ok for a beer commercials but we are window cleaners....People, business's just want what everyone wants... A good honest service at a mutually agreed price and the service they are paying for.

No need to get an advertising guru in  ;) keep doing what you are doing and all will be well (unless of course you are a scouser then you're in deep doodoo).

i agree.work finds me.i never have to canvass or leaflet.i dont even have a website.word of mouth and recommendation are usually the best jobs to get from my experience.

regular,reliable and do a good job and dont let customers down.always have business cards on you for walk ups etc.

having a clean tidy sign written van and smart logo d uniform also helps but not essential but i find it helps with confidence and pricing higher for jobs.
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »
If you are targeting work with care homes for example, and you do one, then ask the management if they are happy for you to use their name as a reference when looking for new customers.

If so then that helps you as it gives you an 'in.' The best is to ask them if they know of any local carehomes that could do with your services. They maybe in competition with each other but they will always be in touch with each other, probably have a drink together, etc.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »
I find the wife is a double edged sword as men like to see her but their wives dont like to see them men liking to see her.

Yebbut - your target is well off (which means usually older) couples with disposable income and often "the wife" (prospective customer) feels "safer" knowing that the bloke cleaning her windows has a wife and family to support and seems decent and trustworthy. After all, he must be to have an attractive wife who supports his business mustn't he? Imagine how much business Tosh would not have gained if he hadn't had Worlass in tow!  ;D

And ... the wives know that it isn't Mrs. Alan that will be turning up because she will have already said "My husband's the local window cleaner ... "

But if your wife won't do it then it's a moot point anyway.

It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »

Yebbut - your target is well off (which means usually older) couples with disposable income and often "the wife" (prospective customer) feels "safer" knowing that the bloke cleaning her windows has a wife and family to support and seems decent and trustworthy. After all, he must be to have an attractive wife who supports his business mustn't he? Imagine how much business Tosh would not have gained if he hadn't had Worlass in tow!  ;D

And ... the wives know that it isn't Mrs. Alan that will be turning up because she will have already said "My husband's the local window cleaner ... "

When the wife worked with me we got quite a number of walk ups from women who felt more comfortable with a husband and wife team.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:44 pm »
I dont target commercial only residential.

What works there is constant advertising and high turnover of customers to find the good ones.

With commercial i would guess a good job done at a fair price is what really counts. Be pleasant by all means, but its business at the end of the day so it will come down to service  and price.

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 09:49:09 pm »

And that is often the case, some old and somewhat vulnerable customers feel safer when there is a lady around.

Im sure there are jobs l wouldnt have now if she wasnt with me. Customers of either sex seem to warm to her and l suppose it makes us seem more personal, people always ask about the kids etc.

But l have seen friction between couples occasionaly when the hubby is overly happy to se her.

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »
I dont target commercial only residential.

What works there is constant advertising and high turnover of customers to find the good ones.

With commercial i would guess a good job done at a fair price is what really counts. Be pleasant by all means, but its business at the end of the day so it will come down to service  and price.
In a way they are"residential" homes!

But l agree great job done is always a winner, it seems so basic you would think everyone would be doing it.

Not always the case where l live..

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »

When the wife worked with me we got quite a number of walk ups from women who felt more comfortable with a husband and wife team.

Definatly, but funnily enough once they get accustomed to us l usualy find its me that collects form the females and stacy from the males as we get the feeling thats how most like it. Just natural l suppose.