AuRavelling79

Pole hose instead of microbore?
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:22:00 pm »
A couple on here have said they use pole hose instead of microbore as their main reel hose. (or at least for the first 50 metres of it.)

A few questions if you don't mind ...

Is it because it is lighter? Or cheaper?

Does it catch on or in garden objects as much as or less than microbore?

Does it "kink" more or less?

Do you unreel it in the same way or take off several loops before pulling the rest out?

How do you join it to the remaining microbore (if you do) - permanently or so you can easily disconnect?

That's it for now!
It's a game of three halves!

Micky Barber

Re: Pole hose instead of microbore?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »
I  use it I'm backpack only Sureclean Systems is re-enforced I use about 30 metres but thinking of getting 50 metres of Exceed blue someone I know uses 70 meters on a reel connected to 50 metres of mini bore which in the most part stays in the van although not sure why he's bothered with the mini bore at all.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
Not sure if my input is what your looking for as I use it with a trolley and never use more than 25 meters and hand coil it when not in use.

I use it bacause it is very light. I almost don't know the hose is connected sometimes. For me this is the main benefit as I get RSI in the wrists rather easily. A heavier hose especially with hot water in it which softens it and causes more friction with the floor seems to be the main cause of the RSI as when I'm not using it the problem goes away.

There is a supplier on ebay that supplies an 8mm PU hose with an ID of 5.5mm which gives better flow compared to the usual 5mm ID hose everyone sells. However, it has a memory that you have to get rid of by boiling it for a few minutes then laying it out flat and straight whilst still hot and letting it cool as otherwise it is an absolute nightmare to use as it is impossible to stop it coiling up which makes it a serious trip hazard. Once boiled and straightened it is much more manageable and works very well, especially with hot water as this helps it lay flat.

For me it tends to get caught less than the heavier hoses, but this could be different for others depending on the properties they clean and the kind of obstacles they have to deal with. Thicker hoses get caught on different things in my experience.

I would not want to use PU pole hose in a length where I couldn't see all of it though, as it's main downfall is that it can lift off the floor easily causing a trip hazard to others. If I can't see it then I can't manage the risk. In this respect PVC pole hose lays flat better in my opinion.

I haven't yet tried Gardiners new reenforced pole hose yet. A friend of mine uses it and really likes it
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

robbo333

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:50 pm »
I've used 50m of Aquadapter red pole hose on my reel for about 5 years.
So on my reel is about 30m of minibore (I think) and 50m of pole hose. The pole hose literally fits inside the minibore with a jubilee clip to hold. Mostly, I only ever need the pole hose, but If I need extra then there is the extra 30m of minibore to pull out.
The reason I did this is because I have tennis elbow (ruddy painful) and the pole hose is extremely light to use.
Does it get caught as much as normal hose? Yes
Is it lighter? Much lighter and easier (I can reel in with 2 fingers) there's a joke there somewhere.
Does it tangle? Yes but not as much as you'd think and it's very easy to untangle (pick it up and give it a shake).
I just pull up in the van, open the back doors, (fixed claber hose reel), grab my pole (already attached to the hose via rectus fittings) and off I go. I just walk with the pole round the back of the house. You can pull it round corners no problem.
The only problem with the Aquadapter hose is that it never layed flat so I had to be careful across pavements (warning cones out). Other than that never had a split or leak ever. I love using it but that's just me.
Last week I ordered 100m of Gardiners new reinforced flexible pole hose and it's the dogs nuts. I've used about 50m. At the moment i'm loving it, especially as it lays flat. It's a bit new (and needs to be broken in a bit), but I am hoping it's as durable as the old Aquadapter hose. Also you can shut the van doors on it and it still works fine. If you're unsure then just get 30m and add it to your existing hose and give it a try. I've also fitted a new univalve and some lumark fan jets. (Had a bit of a spend up).  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:11:18 pm »
Currently using 70 meters on microbore and 50 meters Gardiner new pole hose. Reinforced type.

Only issue I have at the moment is it likes to kink by Wednesday/Thursday of each week. Like Alex said its being wound onto a reel all the time.

I just untwist it.

I have mine connected with normal rectus fittings.

I decided to try this idea as my roller system is almost worn out. The blue rollers have lasted almost two years now. Pole hose has made it easier on the rollers.

What I have done now is approached a local welding company and I am having two rollers made to my specification now. There is several flaws with every roller you buy. So thought meh. Why not get em made to how I want ;D

darryn

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
just bought 100 metres of gardiners new pole hose and connected it to my pure freedom hose reel. kept5 metres of 8mm micro bore on
and connected it to gardiners new 5mm strong pole hose.Been using for 3 weeks and works a treat.flow is coming out just as good as 8mm did,its 3 times lighter than other hoses which knocks a 1hr a day off usual shift and saves on water also :) :) :) :)

windowswashed

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:10:10 pm »
Used 30ft of pole hose today extended onto 100m of thermobore as parked on the beach where van hose not quite long enough to reach 3rd house as unable to move van any closer because of the pier being in the way, always keep it in the van for emergency use but wouldn't like to use it all the time.

Micky Barber

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:48:37 am »
just bought 100 metres of gardiners new pole hose and connected it to my pure freedom hose reel. kept5 metres of 8mm micro bore on
and connected it to gardiners new 5mm strong pole hose.Been using for 3 weeks and works a treat.flow is coming out just as good as 8mm did,its 3 times lighter than other hoses which knocks a 1hr a day off usual shift and saves on water also :) :) :) :)

I'd like to try it only trouble is it's 9mm o/d I've done a homemade tubeless conversion so needs to go into a jg.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:39:48 am »
Just use 6mm barbs ? Converts it to 8mm push fit.

lee_dewing

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
Robbo.

I have some of those lemurk fan jets I found on an old brush.

What size drill bit is it to fit to new brush 10mm 12mm?

Thanks lee.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »
Robbo.

I have some of those lemurk fan jets I found on an old brush.

What size drill bit is it to fit to new brush 10mm 12mm?

Thanks lee.

12mm and you may just need to glue them also.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »
Knew it 😁

Was in b&q today, rained off guessed and bought 10mm drill bit picked up the 12mm put back down.

Should have waited and took old brush.

Thanks Robbo will sort that out and get the univalve like yourself, have you got the tubeless kit also?

I'm gonna go for that also.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

robbo333

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 07:52:01 am »
The Univalve seems good so far, I got mine from Sureclean Systems, quick delivery too.  I havent looked at the tubeless system but I just got some Gardiners new reinforced pole hose and it seems pretty good.