TLC

Window cleaning is changing...
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »
I have been window cleaning for about 11 years now. When I first started it seemed quite easy to pick up decent priced work. Nowadays I estimate that there are about 5X the amount of window cleaners in my area. Therefore the prices are driven down and the people looking for window cleaners are much fewer and further between. Although it is still possible to start a business in this trade, it is much harder than it was and if I was starting out now, would have to work alot harder to get a decent round together.

Imagine what the situation will be in another 10 years time in view of the current unemployment/ financial conditions this country is facing.   

Will it be business as usual for us lot?   How can we prepare for the added competition which is sure to come?

TLC

mlscontractcleaner

Re: Window cleaning is changing...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »
Diversify.

Add strings to your bow.

Attend a carpet cleaning course and add that on to your business.

Advertise as contract cleaners and try to get in to night clubs or pubs; early mornings and it gets your day off to a good start as it's guaranteed income what ever the weather.

We did it and it's the best thing we ever did; if the window cleaning is difficult due to the weather you're still working and still earning ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:34:06 pm »
Shut the floodgates and bring back conscription. Well,for a start anyways   ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:45:08 pm »
Yep, that would do it too ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

PAIN IN THE GLASS

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »
Add other strings to your business window clean one week gardening another or whatever else you can do

erithwc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »
i don't find getting work at a very good price to hard to be honest.  in the sort time that i have been doing it i found that people are happy to pay my prices for the job to be done properly plus i have embrioderd jumper and polos so i look quite smart.

There are always people looking to pay extra for a better services  ;) ;D

Danny Guest

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:06 pm »
i don't find getting work at a very good price to hard to be honest.  in the sort time that i have been doing it i found that people are happy to pay my prices for the job to be done properly plus i have embrioderd jumper and polos so i look quite smart.

There are always people looking to pay extra for a better services  ;) ;D

Same here.

I have embroided work wear and i price higher than most cleaners in the town. The window cleaners around here cant compete with me on service and i cant compete with them on price but we all have good businesses.

Im guessing i have a more profitable business because i know that most cleaners on my rounds are pricing at a third of my prices but i never find it hard to get at least 10-15 customers a week.

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

mci services

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:16 pm »
A young lad round my way is charging good prices and in a year has built up around 1000 customers and he now employs can't say he has affected my business and we are working on the same estates

SPE

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »
 ???
so all I have to do is get some polo shirts embroidered and both my level of service and the price I can charge will increase ? thats brilliant, this forum really is a font of knowledge  :D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »
Come on catch up

the polo shirt method is well known

BORBRYCE

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
Polo shirts and embroidery eh. Way to go lads, can't go wrong then. Seriously though, it is a good idea but unfortunately will not bring you in loadsa good work. It takes years of trial and error.
Stu....this young kid on the block, is it possible he is a wee bit of a ranter? Seems a lot of work in a short time, even for a cheap price.

BORBRYCE

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
Im guessing i have a more profitable business because i know that most cleaners on my rounds are pricing at a third of my prices but i never find it hard to get at least 10-15 customers a week

Well that is 40 to 60 new customers a month. Where are all the rest going wrong Danny?
Good going to say the least in these times my friend. Keep up the good work. Defo getting my socks imprinted with a logo soon as.

mci services

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »
Polo shirts and embroidery eh. Way to go lads, can't go wrong then. Seriously though, it is a good idea but unfortunately will not bring you in loadsa good work. It takes years of trial and error.
Stu....this young kid on the block, is it possible he is a wee bit of a ranter? Seems a lot of work in a short time, even for a cheap price.

He seemed a very determined young lad, he could be exaggerating but he seems to have built up a lot of very compact work has a decent van and a very cowboyish looking employee(chelsea shell suit) with a broken trad pole, although he looked the part. he wasn't cheap either but he was a very confident lad and I am sure I have seen him working late into the evening, I was looking to off load some scattered work and he was not interested as he wanted to keep it compact, although he is learning the hard way about bad payers etc, and is chasing his money 5 nights a week, not sure if he was legit or not but he seemed genuine although his lad was a ignorant runt

Dave66

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
having "too much" window work is always a good thing....our work supposed to be monthly but it takes us usally 6 weeks to complete... this way if any drop off there's plenty of fall back  ;D
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:53 am »
As the economy cycles round (hopefully) people will drift away from w/c'ing and back to PAYE - self employment does not suit every1. - this summer may be a challenge if it's long and hot as people will give it a try, but another winter like this last one should put a lot of people off.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:58:08 am »
i have noticed a lot of new window cleaners about.also ive been hearing stories of one of them threatening other window cleaners and dealing drugs.

just what we need to raise the esteem that we re held in with the great british public!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i just plough my own furrow and concentrate on being regular,reliable,good job at a fair price.im well known and tried and trusted in the areas i work.

new work has been slow lately but there are guys offering free first cleans near me.madness if you ask me.clueless. :( :(

dazmond

price higher/work harder!

TLC

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:17:46 am »
Dazmond,   Sounds like you have a good work ethic, esp like your 'price high work harder' motto.

Imagine if the most popular foreign car wash in your area decided to ask all the customers they had if they wanted their windows cleaned for the same price. And then offered that to everyone in town. Tbh they do an awesome job, and I don't think people have the same trust issues they had before about foreigners.

I think that by really looking after your existing customers tho, your business will continue to expand even if there is alot of competition just thru referals and reputation.

I think I might offer a discount on 'insides'  the months before the cold weather in future, book it all in for when it's hard to work outside. That and gutters should boost the cash flo somewhat.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:52 am »
We foreigners can never compete with you guys.

This cartoon explains everthing  ;D

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 04:33:28 pm »
Customers are definitely trying it on more, that is a sign of the times I think. Today we had one who we originally priced at £15, she said too expensive so we agreed on £14. After first clean she timed us and said £13 was enough. Last time she short changed us and just gave us £12. Today she offered £12 and said she wasn't paying a penny more. Stuck to our guns and she said 'I can soon get another window cleaner you know, my last one only charged £10'. They think we are all struggling and have to put up with whatever they hand out.

We suggested that she get him back. It's a big detached house with 22 windows - trad  (she won't entertain wfp) :(

Ian101

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »
Customers are definitely trying it on more, that is a sign of the times I think. Today we had one who we originally priced at £15, she said too expensive so we agreed on £14. After first clean she timed us and said £13 was enough. Last time she short changed us and just gave us £12. Today she offered £12 and said she wasn't paying a penny more. Stuck to our guns and she said 'I can soon get another window cleaner you know, my last one only charged £10'. They think we are all struggling and have to put up with whatever they hand out.

We suggested that she get him back. It's a big detached house with 22 windows - trad  (she won't entertain wfp) :(

had summit simlair ... was out canvassing a few weeks back and spotted a house thats got loads and loads of windows and lots of glass roof panels on bits of the house that juts out from main walls so ideal for wfp .... trad be a nightmare and take for ever ... all glass was minging not been done for well over 18 months or more so gave it a knock and sure they wanted a window cleaner as last one had just stopped calling  ::) ... said £18 every 2 months (meant to say £20 but £18 came out of my mouth  ::) ) "is that your best" she said ... well its not an antiques fair I said but yes £18 DEFO my best ... mmm old windie only charge £10 .... ok she says you can do a clean and we will see where we go from there so smelling a rat (and knowing we wernt going anywhere)I said "great we can fit you in tomorrow but our policy is to charge treble on a first clean when they not been done for ages but u do get the 12th clean free of charge though ... mmmm will let you know she said .... still waiting for call.

Do 5 others on the street ... all big houses ... hers are still minging ... may give her a knock this month  ;D

bobby p

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »
i would walk on by IAN , she will be a wily fox .      tother week a woman rang me up,very friendly,ordinary house and wanted me to start at Easter only (first red flag) , then when i said howsabout £15 she said okay, a Polish guy used to do it for that (2nd red flag) , but i cut in quick and said id drop by to say HELLO first. guess what -----    giant place ALL LEADED, + big conserv out back .

no wonder the Pole stopped going !