To Expand or not to expand...
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:40 pm »
Have been thinking this over for a while....

Me and my wife do wc together,  have enough work for us at the moment, but i keep thnking about canvessing my rounds up and putting another van on with a lad/lady in it. Big Q - is it worth it?? the hassle i mean...is it as profitable as it seems.

i would appreciate views/advice from people that have done it and currently have more then 1 van on the go. Do you fully employ or use Zero Hour contract etc, what sort of incentives, if any, do you offer? thanks

Crystal-clear

Re: To Expand or not to expand...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »
Go for it mate,

Just get the work for the guy 1st,

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:39 pm »
No, it's not easy.

The simplest way is to send the wife out on her own and have the newb with you.Would the wife stand for that, would she earn on her own?

If you went it alone how would her and the newb get on?

The wife might see this as a way of doing less, and she won't like it if you do less, but with more admin you have to do less.

It can be done, but not easy.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
My wife has been out on her own before when i've been ill and she did fine. we did think about getting her her own van and sharing the work out, then expnading. are ther any couples out there that work like this?

i was thinking more of taking someone elso on as i havent been well this year so if i had another van with a guy/gell in it, i would still hav a small income, plus my wife could cover my work. still thinking it over....

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »
Could you not just get another lad/girl to come out with you mate? Would be alot cheaper than having to pay for another van and insurance ect??

Danny

Window Washers

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »
can be a royal pain in the ass to be frank. Does have its plus sides though.

so only you will know if you can deal with the hassle and if it is worth it, if my wife did window cleaning I would never have employed
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Rogue Trader

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »
Have been thinking this over for a while....

Me and my wife do wc together,  have enough work for us at the moment, but i keep thnking about canvessing my rounds up and putting another van on with a lad/lady in it. Big Q - is it worth it?? the hassle i mean...is it as profitable as it seems.

i would appreciate views/advice from people that have done it and currently have more then 1 van on the go. Do you fully employ or use Zero Hour contract etc, what sort of incentives, if any, do you offer? thanks

What is this?

Rogue Trader

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:46 pm »
Zero hour contract i mean - tell me about it.

ronnie paton

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:27 pm »
like whats been said it can be great but then it has its stressful side.

i,e

my custimer(residential) they dont clean the same/has good
they dont have the same care for detail has you
they dont have the same respect
they will forget things no matter how many times you tell them....post slips/knock for money/get fuel/check tds they will forget everything
they will let you down by not turning up
they will ruin equipment

there are pluses though ;D

George P

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:37 pm »
i think it means work isnt guaranteed, so if its bad wheather you dont pay them,

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »
How are you doing WW? i'm licking my wounds a bit, three helpers all left. First sign of cold weather didn't want to know, all take and no give.Crafty smoke every job, rolling up in van between jobs, texting in drive betweens, finishing first to get back on the texts, otherwise i'm doing the cons at the back but tieing for a finish with them only doing the front.

I was working like mad to earn their wages.Crazy.

The problem seemed to be that they thought i was earning a fortune, and by natural logic they were entitled to half.The times i told them, i can earn X on my own.I need to earn X, your wages, and then a bit more. It didn't seem top sink in.

bobby p

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:21:26 pm »
im on the verge of taking on a lad but what dyou think ? hes 18, works in tesco right now,on a checkout but is very outgoing,a chatty sort, but tells me he is very ambitious . will he just get the skills then leave me in the lurch??? is it better to find a dullard of very low I.Q ( but excellent with a squeegee) ???

A@R WINDOWCLEANING

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:36:43 am »
My wife has been out on her own before when i've been ill and she did fine. we did think about getting her her own van and sharing the work out, then expnading. are ther any couples out there that work like this?

i was thinking more of taking someone elso on as i havent been well this year so if i had another van with a guy/gell in it, i would still hav a small income, plus my wife could cover my work. still thinking it over....
me and the wife have seperate vans she did work with me in one van but had to much work to do from one van ,if i was you i would get your wife a van before you hire someone. you wil not regret it, IT IS  the way forward if the wife is on board and all the money goes in one pot  ,ive done it and we are going great !

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:15 am »
they will forget things no matter how many times you tell them....post slips/knock for money/get fuel/check tds

This is because they aren't paid to think.

To most on here (I would hope anyway, but not so sure when you think about it) as you are self-employed thinking about work reponsibilities should come perfectly naturally, without a second of hesitation.

Some people are cut out to be self-employed, some aren't.

Those that need to remember to think are the ones that aren't and stay employed all their lives.

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:22 am »
Ronnie patton said it all , i got through 4 people in as many months , one of them i took on twice and he still let me down , i only paid min wage but i gave good bonuses when they worked well.
The guy i took on twice still txts at least once a week begging for another chance !

I now have a fully equipped second van sitting doing nothing , every time i walk past it i think .......
Shall i give it another go ......i'm not sure.

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

G Griffin

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:43 am »
is it better to find a dullard of very low I.Q ( but excellent with a squeegee) ???

I`d love to see you advertise the job or hear the sort of questions you`d ask when someone showed interest  ;D.
I`d apply myself, but I`m not very good with a squeegee.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:44 am »
Im sorry to inform you Mr Griffin that on this occasion you have been unsucsesful in you application ......
By your own admission your no good with hand tools ....and we have seen evidence that you win quizzes !
Therefore you cannot be a dullard .... ;D ;D

Rich 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

G Griffin

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:06 am »
Im sorry to inform you Mr Griffin that on this occasion you have been unsucsesful in you application ......
By your own admission your no good with hand tools ....and we have seen evidence that you win quizzes !
Therefore you cannot be a dullard .... ;D ;D

Rich 

Oh, I don`t know Rich. Me winning that quiz, only shows that I`m a sad,boring dullard that would sit watching cctv  :-[.
But, I could always learn to use a squeegee but I can never be more interesting or more cleverer :P  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

gordonswindows

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »
S-wcs

I think from reading your posts that you have already made up your mind what you want to do. The question is " are you able to employ"

Most and I am no different find employing to be all the things the others said about skiving canae be bothered etc but and this is the difference between succesful employers annd the rest, if you hire bad staff the fault is yours not theirs. You get to choose who works for you not them.

Lets turn this around and look at it from another angle. A good well priced house with a regular paying customer who is always delighted to see you gets excellent service from you, you may even go that extra mile for them as it is a pleasure to have them as a customer. Or the customer who moans about the ledges, complains about the price ( even if it is well under priced ) always wants to pay "next time" doesn't unlock the gate even though you phone before hand, let's their dog mess all over the lawn etc etc etc .

Now which one do you care about and which one can go and take a flying jump?

Now back to the employer, who attracts the well presented hard working loyal honest employee? Is it the one that describes them as "stupid or lazy or a moron" or the employer that supports encourages and treats their new employee with respect, allowing them time to catch up and understand the standards you expect, the standards that you have spent years to achieve, getting better each time you foul up or let someone down?

You see yes there are poor employees but there are also many many many poor employers. Just because you can attract customers and clean windows and add up your takings does that now mean you are good at sourcing interviewing and selecting people? Do you know what motivates different people? is it just the money and if so why do you offer low wages?

Try to see it from their point of view. What is it that makes you such a good employer that good staff would want to work for you? Why would they commit to working in all weather when they can sit at Asda"s checkout and make the same money with much less hassle and be dry and warm and have the support of a professional HR department.

You want hard work loyalty standards and to make a profit of off someone you give a zero hour contract to? Where is your commitment to them? How do they build a life or raise a family on a zero hour contract? You want all the benefits and yet expect them to just suck it up if the weather is bad or if you don't have enough work?

Make yourself an attractive well respected and fair employer and you will attract better standards of staff.

Would I employ if I had my time over?  Some days yes some days no but there is nothing better than lying in the bath and realising that you just made more money while you were lying there.

Gordon
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Sean Dyer

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »
good post!

does that mean yours dont work in inclement weather?
 or that you make it worth it to them too work in bad weather?

im thinking about giving up on expanding outside of myself, and just going it alone with as good a custy base as i can refine, and working hard alone!

But there is only soo much you can earn alone, but to take on means picking up so much more work to make it pay....

bobby p

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:34 pm »
so how do you lot find the workers? job centre? word of mouth ?

my prospective new employee,the Tesco lad , has been ignoring my phone calls so looks as though ive been rejected before the very start ! (he first approached me,by email)

im now thinking the very best employee types,the dense, fly under the normal radar ,   i know exactly the sort,they look a bit shifty,round shouldered .

but known on the streets as "-good-as -gold " ,(very reliable) this is what im aiming to find .

somebody humble ,who doesnt know the meaning of the phrase "im very ambitious "

RO-Sheen

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31:56 pm »
S-wcs

I think from reading your posts that you have already made up your mind what you want to do. The question is " are you able to employ"

Most and I am no different find employing to be all the things the others said about skiving canae be bothered etc but and this is the difference between succesful employers annd the rest, if you hire bad staff the fault is yours not theirs. You get to choose who works for you not them.

Lets turn this around and look at it from another angle. A good well priced house with a regular paying customer who is always delighted to see you gets excellent service from you, you may even go that extra mile for them as it is a pleasure to have them as a customer. Or the customer who moans about the ledges, complains about the price ( even if it is well under priced ) always wants to pay "next time" doesn't unlock the gate even though you phone before hand, let's their dog mess all over the lawn etc etc etc .

Now back to the employer, who attracts the well presented hard working loyal honest employee? Is it the one that describes them as "stupid or lazy or a moron" or the employer that supports encourages and treats their new employee with respect, allowing them time to catch up and understand the standards you expect, the standards that you have spent years to achieve, getting better each time you foul up or let someone down?

You see yes there are poor employees but there are also many many many poor employers. Just because you can attract customers and clean windows and add up your takings does that now mean you are good at sourcing interviewing and selecting people? Do you know what motivates different people? is it just the money and if so why do you offer low wages?

Try to see it from their point of view. What is it that makes you such a good employer that good staff would want to work for you? Why would they commit to working in all weather when they can sit at Asda"s checkout and make the same money with much less hassle and be dry and warm and have the support of a professional HR department.

You want hard work loyalty standards and to make a profit of off someone you give a zero hour contract to? Where is your commitment to them? How do they build a life or raise a family on a zero hour contract? You want all the benefits and yet expect them to just suck it up if the weather is bad or if you don't have enough work?

Make yourself an attractive well respected and fair employer and you will attract better standards of staff.

Would I employ if I had my time over?  Some days yes some days no but there is nothing better than lying in the bath and realising that you just made more money while you were lying there.

Gordon

Well said Gordon and very true words. I have just finished reading the book 'How to win friends and influence people' Its a great book and i totally recommend it. Gordon has either read the book and took it onboard or is on the same wave lenght.
I am on the verge of employing someone and have been considering everything that Gordon has suggested as I want to get the most of my employees.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Sean Dyer

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
S-wcs

Gordon

Well said Gordon and very true words. I have just finished reading the book 'How to win friends and influence people' Its a great book and i totally recommend it. Gordon has either read the book and took it onboard or is on the same wave lenght.
I am on the verge of employing someone and have been considering everything that Gordon has suggested as I want to get the most of my employees.

Ive got that book :) was reading from it today

i reckon it applies more for employees ans managers than anyone else, but it really is the way everyone should be with one another

easier said than done though

lot of good stuff in there, takes a long time to take it all in though i tend to read it in bits as often as i can

ronnie paton

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
wel said gordon and i take alot  of this on the chin, i know im not always a good boss i get frustated and stressed when they come back with issues and complaints.

iv tried the softley softley approach but they just think they canget away with it.

is it better to employ in experieced and learn them your way or experienced and deal with there bad habits??

young or old??

the problem is there are not many good employees out there wanting to clean windows, its not seen has a long term job.

and if they cant do much else there usually useless dont take no pride in there work dont care about your standards, doesnt matter if you write a step by step guide of everything they need to do they will  do what ever they want!!

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
What a good well informed post Gordon.And i can see why they might not want to work for you or ronnie However....

How does it get any better than working for me?I use hot water with a high flow which leads to near zero complaints even when done by the aforesaid numpties on their first day.They get to use state of the art kit such as the electric reels so the poor dears don't even have to wind in, and carbon poles, so they don't exert themselves.They get free doughnuts, sausages rolls,cans of coke, and brilliant and inspirational conversation from myself. If they start as dullards, they leave very educated.

They should pay me!

Do they thank me for this? No.They look at my daily take and something in their small heads pops.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:33 pm »
Thanks guys for the really good advice....its given me a lot to think over  :)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:48 pm »
you well always go though between 5-10 people before you find a good one.

think how you would want to be treated,

basic and simple,always be prepared to give  anyone a chance in life,the rewards can be greater. ;)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 11:04:16 pm »
What a good well informed post Gordon.And i can see why they might not want to work for you or ronnie However....

How does it get any better than working for me?I use hot water with a high flow which leads to near zero complaints even when done by the aforesaid numpties on their first day.They get to use state of the art kit such as the electric reels so the poor dears don't even have to wind in, and carbon poles, so they don't exert themselves.They get free doughnuts, sausages rolls,cans of coke, and brilliant and inspirational conversation from myself. If they start as dullards, they leave very educated.

They should pay me!

Do they thank me for this? No.They look at my daily take and something in their small heads pops.

Maybe working for you isnt as good in reality as it is in your head!

boshravie

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:32 pm »
S-wcs

Gordon

I salute you Gordon :-)