ronnie paton

what would you do?
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »
basicaly iv had an enquiry from someone that has held a managemant job at a large national company and there intrested to see if i have a vacancy.

Now i didnt really but it gets me thinking that this persons knowledge and experience could well be good for the business and considering ive become extremly lazy it could give me the drive i need to continue to grow my business.

this would be a gamble has i would be creating a job for someone i dont need but im hoping what he will bring to the company will increase turnover 4 times is salary, would you take the gamble and try to grow and put some trust into a stranger?
or would you
keep plodding along haveing an easy life and still doing well from it, without involving outsiders?

formb

Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »
No harm in an interview.........

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »
do a trial period,  but it all depends on how much he wants

mikecam

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:26:05 pm »
basicaly iv had an enquiry from someone that has held a managemant job at a large national company and there intrested to see if i have a vacancy.

Now i didnt really but it gets me thinking that this persons knowledge and experience could well be good for the business and considering ive become extremly lazy it could give me the drive i need to continue to grow my business.

this would be a gamble has i would be creating a job for someone i dont need but im hoping what he will bring to the company will increase turnover 4 times is salary, would you take the gamble and try to grow and put some trust into a stranger?
or would you
keep plodding along haveing an easy life and still doing well from it, without involving outsiders?

Let me guess...he's from over Leeds way and can get all the Royal Mail contract, etc...

landy2

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »
the window cleaning buissness can only go so far as you put trust in too many people so this limits your exspansoin you always have to be there
a  they rip you off
b  they dont clean the windows
c  they just dont turn up for work leaving you a man down and that days work does not get done

been there done it gone back to two man set up bliss

dai

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:27 pm »
Ask him if he would be interested on a commission only basis.

trevor perry

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:46 pm »
i would definately give him an interview and if you do decide to give him a job then try and keep details such as price and time taken on existing jobs private from him, also any new work he does bring in make sure you are the main contact they discuss matters with when the work is awarded the reason i say this is if he is coming from another post and promising work then he may be going to bring jobs in from contacts he has already made if he ever leaves your employment and goes to work for another firm the likelyhood is he will try to take the jobs he has aquired for you with him, as already said offer him a trial on a commision only basis and dont tell him to much untill your sure you can trust him
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Archer

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
Ronnie,

i have had a few emails also, one of which was from a top guy from Mitie.

I gave it a quick thought once, but commiting was too big a step especially as the wage would have taken a fair chunck of my money.

Good luck whatever you decide, but id rather plod along

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »
any one think it might be a spy, just after peoples contracts

ronnie paton

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:00 pm »
No harm in an interview.........
Gave interview and things went well and he showed me a portfolio of work, iv asked him to ome to me with what he can do for my business.
the window cleaning buissness can only go so far as you put trust in too many people so this limits your exspansoin you always have to be there
a they rip you off
b they dont clean the windows
c they just dont turn up for work leaving you a man down and that days work does not get done

been there done it gone back to two man set up bliss
i have two hands on staff which do all my work and that is bliss but all though it comes with problems my life is so easy now.

or would you

Let me guess...he's from over Leeds way and can get all the Royal Mail contract, etc...
no not from leeds way
Ronnie,

i have had a few emails also, one of which was from a top guy from Mitie.

I gave it a quick thought once, but commiting was too big a step especially as the wage would have taken a fair chunck of my money.

Good luck whatever you decide, but id rather plod along
archer we may well have the same guy

I had interview today and asked him to put in writing what he an do for my company and how he an help it grow also what he would do in is 40 hours a week to make it worth paying a salary, i in turn will tell him what i expect and were we would have to go with it.

it would be done on a trial basic so i would expet to see it paying for it self and the person would be giving up a good jopb with company car so we would both be taking a gamble.

gewindows

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:11:04 pm »
so i would expet to see it paying for it self

Exactly Ronnie, he would have to bring a load of work over with him to justify his salary.

ronnie paton

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »
i wouldnt say bring a load of work over with him all though are a couple of contrats that may well be up for grabs, the work i want would be different than what the national omapnies go for and after talking to him and findong out the prie around £14 per hour per man i wouldnt want to compete.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:05 am »
trouble i would have ronnie is that once you give them a job and then they dont bring work in fast they are taking alot of your current profit and you might not find it so easy to fire him once he has left a good job

on the other hand it could work out and you have a great right hand man

why is he leaving such a good job though?

its a gamble like all things in business but has to be calculated so that the risks arent really harmful to you like going through a tribunal etc

good luck though mate if it works it sounds like just what you need

although i would say dont depend on someone else to drive your business forward always keep the decision making to yourself just use them to make life easier

let us know how it goes

Archer

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

It IS a gamble, without a doubt

but the biggest problem is NOT getting the work = ITS GETTING THE STAFF TO DO IT PROPERLY

THAT IS A MASSIVE HEADACHE

and as soon as you pick the work up , you can lose it.

My mate has some very good paying contracts, and told me hes not bothered if he NEVER picks anymore work up, as long as he doesnt lose what he already has,,,,,,,,, VERY GOOD ADVICE

ronnie paton

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14:20 pm »
Archer your right staff are a problem but i can live with that and they know if its not done right ther wage will not either ;)

its a gamble but business is a gamble so i would minimise the risk it would be a tempory three month thing if it worked it could make me but if i didnt work it would cost bout £5k i would know after a month though were i think it would go.

i really like the idea but i dont know how bringing some one in with a high position like that will work?

i said to my self after my first year i would like to semi retire by 40 but i achieved better than that by 30 i believe this is why iv lost my motivation and drive.........i believe its time for a new challange and that would be to take the business to the next level.

i will not rush into any thing but we have decided to both put something together and work from there......

thanks for your input guys but i would love to see more people views amybe ones that have been in this situation.

mci services

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »
Ronnie my old man was a regional manager for a national back in the early eighty's, because of who he knew and he was trusted in the old art of window cleaning that when he went self employed it was in a matter of months and he was picking up contracts left right and centre. I know it is different to what you are suggesting but what I am trying to say if he is good he will get the work in for you and may help you take that next step.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:26:22 pm »
its who you know, not what u know

do u think UK commercial cleaners picked up 28 m of work becasue they where on the tv or because of duncan wanting to get his money back

tom2009

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:39 pm »
an interesting thread ronnie, you've obviously got an inkling that it may be a good thing to give this chap a go. I like the way you're going about it, getting him to write down what he can bring to your company.Let us know how you get on, what you decide.

deeege

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »
its who you know, not what u know

do u think UK commercial cleaners picked up 28 m of work becasue they where on the tv or because of duncan wanting to get his money back

the way I understand it is uk commercial have TENDERED for £28m worth of work.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

ronnie paton

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
darren some times this is true but i would say 85% of my work was because of me not who i know

you cant compare UK commercial the are totally different, they have the backing of someone with contacts which surpas any one and they get a massive publicity and continue to do so cause of there time on dragons den