Sir Squeaky

TDS gone up already.
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
Problems already... ::)

Just checked my TDS direct from the system (not the tank) and it's producing 005.
Was 000 last week. What's happened there then? ???
All filters are new.

Is it maybe because my DI bottle isn't full up?
When it gets wet it settles down and is an inch from the top. Will topping it up help?

Xline Systems

Re: TDS gone up already.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »
check the tds reading before the di vessel, to make sure the ro's are performing

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:23:28 pm »
check the tds reading before the di vessel, to make sure the ro's are performing
ok.

029.  That doesn't sound good. But then the DI should make it 000 (roughly) whatever goes in...?

Flush it?

Xline Systems

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »
give your system a good flush every time you fill! how long have you had the system? what system do you have? what size di vessel do you have? what is your tap tds before any filtration? and if you have a pressure gauge on your system what does it read

Xline Systems

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »
give your system a good flush every time you fill! how long have you had the system? what system do you have? what size di vessel do you have? what is your tap tds before any filtration? and if you have a pressure gauge on your system what does it read

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
So many questions... ;D Some of which I might be able to answer...

what system do you have? I don't know. It's a white one with RO-Man written on it.

what size di vessel do you have? Think I was told it's about 2 litres or so.

what is your tap tds before any filtration? Around 290

and if you have a pressure gauge on your system what does it read  Yes, depends how much I turn the tap on... 50 usually.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »

what system do you have? I don't know. It's a white one with RO-Man written on it.

and if you have a pressure gauge on your system what does it read  Yes, depends how much I turn the tap on... 50 usually.

Well done for getting something sorted out in the end Roger.  It sounds like it's a very basic and cheap system but as long as it produces enough water, that sounds fine.
How did you overcome the hurdle of transferring from tank to van in the end?
29 after the RO sounds a bit high (it's about the same as mine though  :)  ).  That obviously will eat up the resin a bit quicker than a better performing RO.  If my calculations are right, a TDS of 29 should give you (very roughly), about 17,000 litres of pure per 25kg bag.  So a 2 litre resin vessel if filled would give roughly 1,500 litres.  Lot of variables of course so can only have a stab at it.
Maybe your next bit of investment could be a second resin vessel to avoid throwing away resin while it's still doing something?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:48:09 pm »
Another thing.  Delay checking TDS until it's been running a little while.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »

Well done for getting something sorted out in the end Roger.  It sounds like it's a very basic and cheap system but as long as it produces enough water, that sounds fine.
29 after the RO sounds a bit high (it's about the same as mine though  :)  ).  That obviously will eat up the resin a bit quicker than a better performing RO.  If my calculations are right, a TDS of 29 should give you (very roughly), about 17,000 litres of pure per 25kg bag.  So a 2 litre resin vessel if filled would give roughly 1,500 litres.  Lot of variables of course so can only have a stab at it.
Maybe your next bit of investment could be a second resin vessel to avoid throwing away resin while it's still doing something?
Cheers Paul.
I just have to drag a hose through the house. Annoying if it's wet or muddy. >:(
So I'd have to put new resin in nearly every week then? That's going to be a right headache as well as too expensive.
Wish I hadn't done this now. I knew it would be a pain.

Xline Systems

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
allways turn the tap on full as ro units perform better with greater back pressure.

does it have more than one horizontal filter across the top? ( these are you membranes.)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »
allways turn the tap on full as ro units perform better with greater back pressure.

does it have more than one horizontal filter across the top? ( these are you membranes.)

Yes there's two tubes across the top.
Don't want the tap on blasting as it'll pop off it in the end. Also my tap's very high pressure and don't want to damage the system. I thought 50-60psi was fine?

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »
How much water have you produced in the last week. If its over 1000L then your readings can start to rise.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Xline Systems

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »
one the end of your ro's there will be 2 little o rings, one of these may have peeled back when pushing the ro's into place, this will breake the seel and therefor only one membrane will be working. i would take the membranes out and replace again greasing the o rings. at that tds and tap pressure you should be getting a lower reading.

steven ainger

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 04:29:11 pm »
what gease would you advice to put on the o rings, x-line.
 just thought that would contaminate the ro ???

andyM

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »
Use a light film of vaseline not grease!  :)
One of the Plebs

AJ

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »
Use a light film of vaseline not grease!  :)

i always assumed that anything oil based would make the rubber o rings deteriorate. I use a silcone spray.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:19 pm »
roger....Answer my question before going any further. YOu dont wanna be replacing things after one week.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:55 pm »
Pressure is better at 70/80 psi. 50 is a minimum.
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
roger....Answer my question before going any further. YOu dont wanna be replacing things after one week.
Sorry, I was out.
Err... over a thousand because it's full now and I've taken from it 3 times, so I'd guess about 1600-1700L maybe.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »

Cheers Paul.
I just have to drag a hose through the house. Annoying if it's wet or muddy. >:(
So I'd have to put new resin in nearly every week then? That's going to be a right headache as well as too expensive.
Wish I hadn't done this now. I knew it would be a pain.

As it gradually becomes affordable, I think a larger resin vessel may be a good idea.  Two fair sized ones would be better IMO.
I see you have made no mention of pre-filters.  I take it you have them installed too in order to protect the membranes?  Usually one for sediment and one for carbon/chlorine - though I have heard of other variations.
Yes that must be a pain pulling hose through the house when muddy.  I suppose a couple of dust sheets help.  Are you using ordinary hose or do you have some fatter stuff for a faster transfer?

It only seems like a pain at the moment because it's new to you and you're using makeshift equipment.  When the time comes when you can afford to upgrade and possibly find somewhere away from home to set up, it will seem much better.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
Yeah there's 3 new filters underneath it.
It's ordinary hose. Didn't cost much and yes it takes half hour to fill, but doesn't matter. I just turn it on and carry on with whatever I'm doing.

mark dew

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:00 am »
What ro unit do you have? I have a tds in the high 400s. My 300gpd ro will bring it doen to 27 on tap pressure. It says approx 50psi on my ro.
i was automatically going to say get a booster pump, but you sound ok for water pressure. With a higher pressure the tds should be lower than that. 2 di vessels saves loads on resin.
Also, i think it's better to not fill the vessels to the top, cos a good shake will extend the life of it. With 2 vessels, they should be good for awhile.
But bringing it down from 29, it sounds about right.
Give the vessel a shake and that should come down further.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 08:29:41 am »
Unfortunately this is normal rog. A bigger DI chamber or 2 chambers is a good idea.
Bob

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 08:46:56 am »
Unfortunately this is normal rog. A bigger DI chamber or 2 chambers is a good idea.
Bob
Alright, thanks.
Bit disappointed though. Everyone said I wouldn't have to change anything for months. Not a week and spending out already. :(

Xline Systems

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
increase your pressure and check your membranes. you should be getting a better reading. what size flow restricter do you have on your waste?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »
you should be getting a better reading. what size flow restricter do you have on your waste?
I don't even know what that is, sorry!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »
An RO man system is usually pretty much plug and play, I doubt he needs to take his membranes apart, he has most probably put it all together correctly and turns on the tap to produce water.

As we all know there is a fair bit more to it than that.

Roger, I hope you are not just sticking the hose for the RO straight onto your kitchen sink tap?
Fingers crossed you have followed one of the bits of advice you were given and fitted an outside tap under your sink and drilled though the wall so you could at least have everything permanently connected.

Absolutely EVERY TIME you use the RO you should flush for a good 10 or 15 minutes before letting the membranes get down to business, and pop off the tube leading from the RO membranes into the DI vessel as it can take several minutes before the RO is working to maximum efficiency.

The RO man systems usually have a one litre DI vessel, the same dimensions as the two pre-filters, as you know, I coped fine with the same system for a few years and only ever had one DI vessel, once the resin starts to become exhausted, you can wring a little more use out of it by passing it through a second vessel, but if the first one is totally spent it can have the REVERSE effect  and the water coming out of it can have a higher TDS coming out than going in!!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:52 pm »
Bob
Alright, thanks.
Bit disappointed though. Everyone said I wouldn't have to change anything for months. Not a week and spending out already. :(

Most DI vessels are much larger than the one you are using though Roger.  If you were using a much bigger one, the resin would have lasted much longer.  If you buy a 25kg bag of resin, it ought to last you about 3 months - a bit longer if you run the resin through two vessels.  The second vessel could even be in your van at a push if there is insufficient room at home.

EZclean

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »
the problem is not with di. its with the ro. at 290 from the tap it should be coming out less than 29, less than 10. so its either not getting enough pressure or the membranes aren't seated correctly.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

geefree

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »
it sounds like a 200 gpd ro man,

my water at the tap is now 270.... i have the same ro man , only its 300 gpd,

and it brings my tds down to 00.02

without a 10" resin vessel.

I think you should increase the pressure at the tap squeaky, and get some better connectors so they dont blow off.