mci services

Re: should i stay or should i go?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 03:57:49 pm »
i gave up a 30k a year job as well and almost 3 years on i am not on that but i am happy with my work and enjoy what i do and can pay all my bills and have the odd holiday.
stu i am the same,i am more happy now,less stress a lot less hour and a better quailty life.time spent with the family.

thing is franky when i was on 30k a year i was worse of as it was easy to get nice car loans, credit cards, other loans so i was actually left with very little. i got rid of all my debts before i stared back on the windows so i didnt need as much. i simplified my life big time and now i am earning less but have more spare income.

what i would suggest to clee is sit down and work out your survival budget ie what you need to earn to cover bills and mortgage and when you can or very close to that budget then take the gamble. however if you are nowhere near that survival budget think very long and hard before leaving

paul rulton

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 04:01:34 pm »
thing is franky when i was on 30k a year i was worse of as it was easy to get nice car loans, credit cards, other loans so i was actually left with very little. i got rid of all my debts before i stared back on the windows so i didnt need as much. i simplified my life big time and now i am earning less but have more spare income

ur playing my tune m8  ;) all i try n do is make my life simples  ;D simples = less stress  ;)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »
i gave up a 30k a year job as well and almost 3 years on i am not on that but i am happy with my work and enjoy what i do and can pay all my bills and have the odd holiday.
stu i am the same,i am more happy now,less stress a lot less hour and a better quailty life.time spent with the family.

thing is franky when i was on 30k a year i was worse of as it was easy to get nice car loans, credit cards, other loans so i was actually left with very little. i got rid of all my debts before i stared back on the windows so i didnt need as much. i simplified my life big time and now i am earning less but have more spare income.

what i would suggest to clee is sit down and work out your survival budget ie what you need to earn to cover bills and mortgage and when you can or very close to that budget then take the gamble. however if you are nowhere near that survival budget think very long and hard before leaving
i are sure right stu,done the same,the simple thing is the more you got the more you spent,you be surpise what you can survie on.

tws

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »
would benefits make up any shortfall in income ?

cleewindows

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »
im english mate,how do you get benefits?
Im sure i can make it work,im working tonight so im going to speak to someone tonight about going 4 days a week then i will go on a career break when im too busy!
 Im also going to apply for the caretakers job on tuesday.
 With the guttering and driveway jobs i can make £300 a week at the minute doing it and have about £400 worth of window cleaning jobs every 4 weeks.
 With more time to canvass im sure i can get between 5 and 10 window cleaning jobs evening between 5 and 7.
 I have the option to buy the work off this guy too on top!
 I have all my kit and dont really need to buy much more so i should be ok once running.
would benefits make up any shortfall in income ?

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 05:17:39 pm »
mate jack the job buy the round and get canvassing the only way is up mate its your bussiness now i did this when i started you will never look back as the winter have a break and do what you always wanted because you work like a dog in the spring and summer to get the cash in do the gutter cleans ibn the winter

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 05:50:34 pm »
You either buy the work or get someone to canvass for you. No-one is saying building a business is easy. i was lucky 20 years ago, I was living with my parents so building up was easier. You do what you have to. The problem is that if you leave your job and end up desperate for income you can end up pricing too low just to keep busy.

I recommend you think long and hard about leaving the security of paid income. I have no investment in your future I am simply saying it as it is.

What work do you have on your books per month and what would you have if you bought this work? Or how much have you turned over each month since you started. This will give us an idea about how to answer your questions.

As you have other family members to consider, you would do well to time it right.  I would certainly suggest that mabe March/April is a good time to make the break.  I think the only question is whether that is this year or next (yes I know it's May tomorrow)  :) .
You currently have gross pay of about £25k??  To achieve that with WFP window cleaning you will possibly need a £30k to £32k turnover whilst managing the money well.  Bear in mind that when you are paid in bits and oieces, it is easier for it to be spent that way too.  Self discipline with money in your pocket is essential.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 06:28:13 pm »

I think this is good advice!

Plus your plan for 4 days to start with would work. It will be hard work but if you can swing it it would really help push the windows.

williamx

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »
Here is a simple maths solution.

To achieve a round that generates £30k of business witha minimum charge of £10, you need 230 customers on your books.

But of course all of them will not have their windows cleaned every 4 weeks all the year round, there will be times when they cannot for various reasons, you also will have some who will cancel for various reason from moving home- one offs - death and those who are not satisfied in your workmanship or tools used.

So taking that into account you will need 35% more customers which equals a total figure of 310 customers you need to get in the 1st year of trading.

If you are really hard working and you can door knock then this is acheivable in a very small of time.

If you door knock 5 nights a week from 3pm til 7pm on average you should pick up a minimum of 15 new customers.

So within 20 weeks you have the target number of customers you need to earn £30k per year.

Of course you can speed this up by asking and kept on asking your customers to recommend you to their neighbours, work mates, friends and family.

Also placing adverts in local magazines will also bring some your way.

So if you put your head down and really graft, you shold have reached this target by week 14.

Your business growth depend on what you are willing to put into it.

cleewindows

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 07:11:33 pm »
thanks m8
great advice im aiming for 250,and also need to take into account my gutter and driveway jobs.this weekend i have £300 worth of work for day on sundayt and about 2 hours tommorow!
Here is a simple maths solution.

To achieve a round that generates £30k of business witha minimum charge of £10, you need 230 customers on your books.

But of course all of them will not have their windows cleaned every 4 weeks all the year round, there will be times when they cannot for various reasons, you also will have some who will cancel for various reason from moving home- one offs - death and those who are not satisfied in your workmanship or tools used.

So taking that into account you will need 35% more customers which equals a total figure of 310 customers you need to get in the 1st year of trading.

If you are really hard working and you can door knock then this is acheivable in a very small of time.

If you door knock 5 nights a week from 3pm til 7pm on average you should pick up a minimum of 15 new customers.

So within 20 weeks you have the target number of customers you need to earn £30k per year.

Of course you can speed this up by asking and kept on asking your customers to recommend you to their neighbours, work mates, friends and family.

Also placing adverts in local magazines will also bring some your way.

So if you put your head down and really graft, you shold have reached this target by week 14.

Your business growth depend on what you are willing to put into it.