cleewindows

should i stay or should i go?
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:40 am »
getting very busy at the moment but due to working night,im not getting much time to do all my work,my diary is getting very full,im not sure what to do about my full time job,i like the security of it and pays fairly well at 25k a year.Not sure whether to have a career break or go down to a 3 or 4 day week.Dilema is if i leave i get my shares paid out at about £3k which would be nice but then no job to fall back on.
 Business is busy but worried about winter.
 I could perhaps take a 3 month career break or longer if needed upto a year which means i can go back to my job.If my business is doing well i dont need to go back.

daz1977

Re: should i stay or should i go?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:09:23 am »
go on sick for month and battery the wc and see what happens

cleewindows

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:13:06 am »
that was the option cheers  ;D

R W C™

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:37 am »

You must be joking, do you honestly think his employement wouldnt find out  ???

Id personally go part time and hit the canvassing hard, shouldnt take you much longer to build up what you need or leave take the 3k and use this towards paying a canvasser or buy work....

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:52 am »
My advice is if you have a job at the present time keep it. The next couple of years are going to be a bumpy ride and it hasn't even started yet.

cleewindows

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:31:08 am »
been offered a compact round £500 every 3 weeks for 1k but prices are low! ???
not sure what to do,i was thinking knock on and try and put prices up by saying i will do them every 4 weeks 13cleans a year compared to 17 cleans a year on 3 weeklys!
13 x £8 = £104
17 x £7= £119

cleewindows

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:32:22 am »
to be fair i live 40 miles away from where i work so they wouldnt!

Id personally go part time and hit the canvassing hard, shouldnt take you much longer to build up what you need or leave take the 3k and use this towards paying a canvasser or buy work....

williamx

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:04:07 am »
You need to make your mind, you are either going to run a window cleaning business or carry on with your employment.

With any business it is the first 3 years that are the hardest, so if you leave your job and security it offers, you will have to tighten the belt and cancel the yearly holidays abroad.

But this is only for a short time, soon you will be surpassing what you used to earn and the quality of your life will improve.

Do not worry too much about the winter, you can still work, try to get some inside work likes hotels - pubs and resturants etc, these you can do in any weather conditions.

I would never take on any work unless its minimum charge was £10 and double for a 1st clean, you might feel this is to high for your area, but it is achievable, you need to sell your services to prospective clients to justify the high price you are charging.

The way I do this is I point out that I clean all the frames - vents - sills and glass on every clean, I always telephone or text the night before, and if the client is busy I will work my round around their diary, so if tommorow is impossible maybe another day in the week will be good for them.

Make you customer feel special, they love it and are willing to pay for it as well.

You will still have some who say my last cleaner only charged me £5, when they say that to me I point out that they are no longing cleaning windows and would they be prepared to work for so little.

daz1977

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
clee,  if you got the cash, buy the round and it will get u started,  i know a few wc who are busy and when u find out how they started they bought the round didnt go knocking or any thing

just leave them at 3 weeks goes,  leave it six months then just tell them you are moving them to 4 weeks due to the round workign out that way then leave 3 months and put price

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:15 am »
to be fair i live 40 miles away from where i work so they wouldnt!

So a £3k payout with the option of returning eventually if it doesn't work out.  Plus an initial saving of travel to work petrol of about £80 a week.  I use my van most days for work including drive betweens and my fuel bill is cheaper than your 400 miles per week round trip.
You may need to borrow some to top up your share payout (depending on what kit you want).
I think the ideal would be to go pert time and work hard to build the business.
I didn't have your dilemma when I started.  I got made redundant (again) in 1991 and there wasn't a sniff of a job back then.  All I had was a bit of dole money (about £45 p w for a single person).  I had an old car.  So it was borrow a ladder, get cards printed (had to use one of those machines in shops back then as I was skint), knock on doors.  Buy a few scrims and a squeegee etc.  At first, whenever I got a bit of cash, it all went straight into the fuel tank oo the larder until I had a bit of surplus.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:20:31 pm »
You will have to bite the bullet and jump ship sooner or later. I did the same and used all my holidays up working the round. Eventually you just have to go for it and expect a dip in earnings before your books are full. If you are doing two jobs anyway you should have a nest egg by now to fall back on..................... unless you have forgotten to tell the tax man what you are up to  ;)

paul rulton

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
clee, the way ur goin..... & it sounds like ur goin well  :) just think wot it will be like if u hit it full time  ;)
u sound like a sound bloke & quite driven. i would buy the small round & just look at it as a bit of bread & butter work  :) while u carry on doin wot u do  ;D ur gettin a few grand use it wisely & u wont fail m8.
plus at the end of the day u can always sell the bit of work off u bourght 2get a bit of money back. or build on it & rent it out  ;) thats just my thinkin on it clee  ;D the choice is urs  ;)
its a win win in my eyes  ;)  8)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:18:57 pm »
i was on 30k ayear plus bonus,trust me go for it.you wont look back.

cleewindows

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:56:18 pm »
cheers m8
great advice,im going to speak to he bloke about the round on sunday!
thanks
clee, the way ur goin..... & it sounds like ur goin well  :) just think wot it will be like if u hit it full time  ;)
u sound like a sound bloke & quite driven. i would buy the small round & just look at it as a bit of bread & butter work  :) while u carry on doin wot u do  ;D ur gettin a few grand use it wisely & u wont fail m8.
plus at the end of the day u can always sell the bit of work off u bourght 2get a bit of money back. or build on it & rent it out  ;) thats just my thinkin on it clee  ;D the choice is urs  ;)
its a win win in my eyes  ;)  8)

mci services

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:04 pm »
i gave up a 30k a year job as well and almost 3 years on i am not on that but i am happy with my work and enjoy what i do and can pay all my bills and have the odd holiday.

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »
I would keep the regular job for now, at least untill we see what government we will get and the problems sorting out the economy will bring.
Belts will have to be tightened further in the next 18 month, is it really the time to leave a secure job?

As for buying work, ask why he is selling. Prob because it is poorly paid as you say. Poorly priced work will be hard to increase, otherwise he would have done so before selling.

As I have tried to point out in other posts, £25k is hard to achieve as takehome initially as self employed. Dont act too swiftly.

How much monthly work do you have on your books as of today and how much would you have if you bought this round? I would say you will need £2500-£3000 initially before you jump ship.

cleewindows

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:14 pm »
its ok saying you need 2500 to 3000 a month to jump ship,how do i do that when i work every night?
its impossible,im picking up lots of work at the moment,every time i go out i pick a few jobs up knocking.
also i am getting lots of driveway and gutter clean jobs.
i do a full time what i really hate!
im hard working and determind to succeed in my business,i enjoy doing and am very self driven,although i felt daunted about door knocking initially,i enjoy it now!
I would keep the regular job for now, at least untill we see what government we will get and the problems sorting out the economy will bring.
Belts will have to be tightened further in the next 18 month, is it really the time to leave a secure job?

As for buying work, ask why he is selling. Prob because it is poorly paid as you say. Poorly priced work will be hard to increase, otherwise he would have done so before selling.

As I have tried to point out in other posts, £25k is hard to achieve as takehome initially as self employed. Dont act too swiftly.

How much monthly work do you have on your books as of today and how much would you have if you bought this round? I would say you will need £2500-£3000 initially before you jump ship.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 03:28:04 pm »
You either buy the work or get someone to canvass for you. No-one is saying building a business is easy. i was lucky 20 years ago, I was living with my parents so building up was easier. You do what you have to. The problem is that if you leave your job and end up desperate for income you can end up pricing too low just to keep busy.

I recommend you think long and hard about leaving the security of paid income. I have no investment in your future I am simply saying it as it is.

What work do you have on your books per month and what would you have if you bought this work? Or how much have you turned over each month since you started. This will give us an idea about how to answer your questions.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »
i gave up a 30k a year job as well and almost 3 years on i am not on that but i am happy with my work and enjoy what i do and can pay all my bills and have the odd holiday.
stu i am the same,i am more happy now,less stress a lot less hour and a better quailty life.time spent with the family.

paul rulton

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 03:46:54 pm »
nice 1  ;) good luck 4sunday m8  ;) i'll ave me fingers crossed 4ya  ;)   8)