alansavvi

Is regulation on the way? Do we need a code of practice?
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:55:42 pm »
This may sound strange but think about this.

Currently there is little to no legislation covering our work. Yes there are health and safety laws, but many of them are new and not been tested in the courts. Anyone can become a window cleaner. There are no rules, no standards. I'm not talking about how well a window is cleaned, but rather specific training given to wc for safety issues. The H&S rules on working at heights could wipe out all wc who use ladders, read it, the potential is there.

So, when wc continue to get injured, insurance premiums rise, it is only a matter of time before the goverment steps in and starts to regulate. It has happened in other industries, plumbers, electricians etc.

What can be done?

gaza

Re: Is regulation on the way? Do we need a code of practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 08:24:03 pm »
now your using your savvi on this posting,predicted this ,will take two /three years watch this space.

not quite corgi system but something like it will be more than welcome by myself and many others on here

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Re: Is regulation on the way? Do we need a code of practice?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 08:30:03 pm »
So, when wc continue to get injured, insurance premiums rise, it is only a matter of time before the goverment steps in and starts to regulate. It has happened in other industries, plumbers, electricians etc.

What can be done?

The above is what is called a 'false premise'.  You're saying two things which both sound logical, but aren't correct:

Firstly, because window cleaners get injured; insurance premiums will rise; therefore government will introduce new legislation regarding window cleaners.

Secondly, because plumbers and electrictians have to be Corgi or NICEIC approved; we're tradesmen, the same as them; therefore we should be 'approved'.

On the first point, I think this is unproven and us window cleaners are 'small cheese' when it comes to the service industry.  The majority of us are self-employed and the risks we take, we choose to do so.  I cannot see the government introducing more legislation than the normal health and safety stuff.

On the second point, plumbers and electricians have the capacity to kill their customers, either by carbon monoxide poisoning or by electrocution, and probably a few other ways I don't know of.

So, for example a cowboy plumber may kill a customer, but a cowboy window cleaner just leaves dirty windows.

I'm not be-littling our trade.  We provide an important service. 

But what I think, reading between the lines of your post, is what can be done for window cleaners to be given a higher status in the pecking order of industries.

I don't know, mate.  But if we were, we'd each have more competition, which means less demand and lower pay!

Look in your local newspaper.  There'll be loads of plumbers and electricians vying for new custom.  In ours it's like that.  But never a window cleaner.

Our low status can hide our (potentially) high incomes and well, dare I say it... stifle competition!