KS Cleaning

Re: Advice on which Van to buy
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 01:06:13 am »
The only transit custom with a wet belt will be the hybrid, and it’s a crap setup.

The diesel customs are great, and by far the best and most reliable engine is the older 2.2, the one I’ve got. No Add Blue nonsense, and absolutely bullet proof.

All in all they are good vans, just not the stupid hybrid. It has the eco boost 3 cylinder engine (wet belt) which is there only to charge the battery’s . It’s an awful system, a stupid design and only there to please the tree huggers.
The 2.2 is a Euro 5.5 though so not ULEZ compliant. The 2.0 Euro 6 diesel has a wet belt.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 01:11:35 am »
No genuine he was talking about all the vans that have a wet belt etc all being 💩 the Custom apparently is one of em,he said it was an organisation that review vans bit like “Which”.
Do yourself a favour Nigel, look across a large spectrum of reviews and you will see that the Custom comes out favourably in terms of reliability.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 01:18:52 am »
Yeah not for nearly 15 years though lol apart from re gassin it’s been working like new all that time,I had a Custom for a week on insurance I hated the thing it was like driving a boat the doors and interior  etc felt as cheap as chips.
When I was waiting on my Custom Sport being delivered I had to hire vans for a few weeks, I was unfortunate enough to have a VW transporter for one of those weeks. Overpriced junk, very underwhelming,  it was like having a cardboard box sitting on the drive😉

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 07:33:16 am »
I like my van, citroen relay L2 H2

1575 payload is pretty huge

although having said that its a bit of a pain to park sometimes if you dont need the space i would go for a slightly older L1 H1 version if you can find one they are still 1400 payload but they dont make them anymore.

jay moley

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 09:16:28 am »
What payload would I need for an 800 litre tank?

Thanks

Soupy

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2023, 09:38:31 am »

Thanks

Minimum 1000kg probably more.

I use 1000kg for 650

simon w

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2023, 10:31:17 am »
I bought myself a brand new Custom 340 Limited LWB Limited 2.0 170ps in Chrome Blue with an automatic gearbox , pulls like a train and has been faultless since I've owned it.

NWH

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2023, 10:36:23 am »
Picked it up this morning 🤣🤣

dd

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2023, 03:19:32 pm »

Thanks
Minimum 1200kg

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2023, 03:28:45 pm »
Depends doesn't it 800l water plus a tank n frame could be 900kg loaded.

2 average blokes and some leccy reels and you are knocking on 1100kg. Then fuel and whatever else you carry.

As above minimum 1200kg i say but ideally more depending.

Always better to have too much payload

NWH

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2023, 03:33:00 pm »
It’s how it drives with the weight as I’ve said before the payload doesn’t always tell the story,I had a Custom with a 400ltr tank you would have thought I was an arms dealer the way it handled so badly.

DJW

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2023, 04:40:44 pm »

KS Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2023, 05:16:33 pm »
It’s how it drives with the weight as I’ve said before the payload doesn’t always tell the story,I had a Custom with a 400ltr tank you would have thought I was an arms dealer the way it handled so badly.
You do talk some rubbish, my first custom had a 650ltr tank, I now have a 500 litre tank in my latest custom and the handling was/is spot on.
Maybe you should have put air in the tyres instead of blowing it out your a***

dd

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2023, 06:04:23 pm »
Citroen dispatch 2.0hdi could be worth a look think it has 1400kg payload.

H2GoKent

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2023, 06:24:59 pm »
I've had 2015 Custom for the last 5 years or so, very good van, no issues at all.

A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

zesty

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2023, 06:42:47 pm »
The only transit custom with a wet belt will be the hybrid, and it’s a crap setup.

The diesel customs are great, and by far the best and most reliable engine is the older 2.2, the one I’ve got. No Add Blue nonsense, and absolutely bullet proof.

All in all they are good vans, just not the stupid hybrid. It has the eco boost 3 cylinder engine (wet belt) which is there only to charge the battery’s . It’s an awful system, a stupid design and only there to please the tree huggers.

All the new transits and rangers have wet belts, 2.0 engine. They suffer from prematurely breaking, or the belts wear over time and the oil coolers get blocked up and cause oil starvation. A friend of mine has had the belt snap on his custom twice.

That’s a pile of crap then , avoid.

We had the belt go on our family car , Peugeot 3008 gt line. Wet belt crap.

Peugeot paid full cost of repairs though. Had an outstanding recall.

It’s a big issue and most manufacturers are now coming away from it back to chains.

I had no idea the Ford diesel engines were wet belts, I was only aware of the eco boost engines.

We had the belt swell and then chafe which destroyed the brake booster pump whislt the wife was driving it! Rubber floats round the whole engine in the oil.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2023, 06:54:09 pm »
Nothings changed with ford vans always been either rust buckets or unreliable,I’ll stick with the Germans with vans and my car

Jonny 87

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2023, 07:00:09 pm »

I’ve got a renault traffic, and a transit custom.

The custom has a 500 litre tank in the back, and you wouldn’t know it’s there.

I love the custom to be fair.

It’s the “trail” spec, so pretty nice inside too. Heated leather seats, heated front windscreen, Apple car play, sat nav. mechanical slip dif so off-road or in snow it’s great.

Only reason I haven’t upgraded to renault to the custom is the price tag. £40k easily for a new custom trail. It’s madness, but sadly I don’t think it’s going to change much.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2023, 07:01:57 pm »
Get the customs with wet belts serviced regularly with the official oil and they are fine. There is a reason why they are the most popular van on the road.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2023, 07:48:46 pm »
Nothings changed with ford vans always been either rust buckets or unreliable,I’ll stick with the Germans with vans and my car

Absolute rubbish.ford make great vans...

I've had mine for 6 years now.only changed the 2 front tyres and had it serviced every year.
price higher/work harder!