colin bird

Covid 19 effect on work
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:10:27 am »
Just wondering  your thoughts on the effect covid - 19 will have on your business  long term starting when furlough comes to an end
Personally I was ok when it first started,furloughed customers were at home and wanting extras done ie con roofs,facias etc
But I'm now noticing a mood change in customers as I feel the reality of the end of furlough and the possibility of not having a job to go back to is starting to play on there mind

I'm now losing the odd customer and not had any walk ups for a couple of weeks,and I'm starting to worry about the amount of business I may lose.
I'm in West Sussex and work is all domestic.what are your thought and views ?

Smudger

Re: Covid 19 effect on work
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:34:19 am »
I think it will be like any other recession - some will be hit harder than others depending on the industry in the area - depending on working at home or everyone back to the office will have an influence more working from home more likely to have windows cleaned

For 11 years the biz has just grown year on year - yes I've added services but with no active effort reg window cleaning has still increased - I may see it Plato or decrease slightly over the next 8 months but not to any great degree

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

colin bird

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:36:28 am »
I think it will be like any other recession - some will be hit harder than others depending on the industry in the area - depending on working at home or everyone back to the office will have an influence more working from home more likely to have windows cleaned

For 11 years the biz has just grown year on year - yes I've added services but with no active effort reg window cleaning has still increased - I may see it Plato or decrease slightly over the next 8 months but not to any great degree

Darran

Thanks for the positive feedback darran

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 10:26:29 am »
👍

We can only take it one day at a time
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 10:47:19 am »
Just wondering  your thoughts on the effect covid - 19 will have on your business  long term starting when furlough comes to an end
Personally I was ok when it first started,furloughed customers were at home and wanting extras done ie con roofs,facias etc
But I'm now noticing a mood change in customers as I feel the reality of the end of furlough and the possibility of not having a job to go back to is starting to play on there mind

I'm now losing the odd customer and not had any walk ups for a couple of weeks,and I'm starting to worry about the amount of business I may lose.
I'm in West Sussex and work is all domestic.what are your thought and views ?

like smudger says...take it one day at a time...if your mind is racing away into the future(projecting)all your doing is creating anxiety for yourself(manufacturing and enlarging your own fears).......

keep turning up and doing a good job,reliable,etc......maybe accommodate customers wishes a bit more when it comes to frequency,etc if they cancel then so be it.....

im sure being all domestic theyll be other new jobs just around the corner......

my round is always changing........losing a job here and there and picking up new jobs here and there for various reasons...its been like that for 27 years.....

another tip is to keep your news watching to a minimum....maybe once a day for half an hour........
price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 12:13:34 pm »
Most of my customers are retired wealthy people so I'm not expecting to lose a great deal, I tend to stay away from the young families who I think will be worst hit.

Also being on my own and offering various services is a big bonus, if I had employees I would be worrying.

jk999

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 06:06:45 pm »
Theres a lot of Window cleaners in my area that are overpriced with their work i hear it all the time where people say they are being charged to much or get charged full price for just doing fronts these are the guys i think will suffer from losing customers when cut backs are being made ,i have only had 1 customer put me on hold till he finds a new job but im not saying i wont lose any but as one guy said on here alot of my customers are retired so no excuse for them to cancel

SB Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 06:13:08 pm »
Theres a lot of Window cleaners in my area that are overpriced with their work i hear it all the time where people say they are being charged to much or get charged full price for just doing fronts these are the guys i think will suffer from losing customers when cut backs are being made ,i have only had 1 customer put me on hold till he finds a new job but im not saying i wont lose any but as one guy said on here alot of my customers are retired so no excuse for them to cancel
Theres a couple on here I suspect will lose a few, you know the ones bragging what they earn.

jk999

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 06:38:42 pm »
Probably 😇👍

windowswashed

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:35:17 pm »
Lost 1 guest house as he's changing business. Been stopped from cleaning inside a factory by the owners temporarily until they feel safe to allow me back inside working but still cleaning the outside. One house  reduced service as owners holiday business has been on hold up until now, 1 gym been on hold until now. Holiday homes all back to normal service again and picked up a huge  warehouse/shop/factory and half a dozen houses. 
I think those in risky jobs will lose them after furlough is over.  One of mine lost his job working in a hotel so he's changing career. Trouble is a lot of people will be applying for them jobs which will become more appealing when people have bills to pay. Depending on age of customers and careers or job types will affect job opportunities.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 10:03:50 am »
Where abouts in West Sussex Colin?

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 10:20:04 am »
My experience is pretty much the same, at the start of lockdown everyone at home, the weather was great for a month or so and I have never had as many walk ups and add in jobs come in. It was my busiest period ever in terms of work flooding in whilst doing no advertising.

But now a few are back at work, the novelty of furlough is probably wearing off and coupled with the bad few weeks weather things slowed down. I too haven't had a walk up for a while.

But the thing is in this day and age you cant stand still and hope to move forward, there's too much competition and more and more new start ups all the time. If you want more work and are worried about losing work you have to be proactive in seeking more.

I'm not particularly worried because firstly I haven't lost much at all to covid and secondly if I do I will have to just go get more.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 11:30:45 am »
Theres a couple on here I suspect will lose a few, you know the ones bragging what they earn.

i find this type of attitude makes me feel quite sad.

correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like you are almost hoping that people who you consider are charging 'too much' will get their comeuppence. or they will get what they deserve?

seems a shame that you would wish this on people. i dont know why you ever would.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 11:35:16 am »

Darran
The champagne runs out, So crates of ale will have to suffice?
I might have a few Aristotles, tonight.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

deeege

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 12:40:31 pm »
I had a right panic at the end of March, pretty much all of my commercial on hold, only enough work to do a few hours each day, phone stopped ringing and no walk ups for the best part of a month, things looking terrible.

Fast forward to now, I’ve got all my commercial work back (apart from 1 monthly office), my domestic round has grown a couple hundred quid a month with no advertising at all, I’ve taken on a decent sized commercial contract offices and apartment blocks to the value of around £6k-£8k per year, and my diary is full of well paying gutter/fascias cleans to drop into on bad weather days.

Very happy with how it’s planned out in the short term, but long term who really knows.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Ooooooog

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 08:20:02 pm »

Darran

;D

There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.

Plato

jk999

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 08:29:35 pm »
Richard what makes you think that about me i don't care what happens i have to much work of my own ,i don't wish anyone to lose there jobs at all the thing is no one know who i am im one of the nicest guys you will ever meet so i would prefer it if you didn't judge me im not looking for an argument so just leave it as it is

colin bird

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 08:43:59 pm »
Where abouts in West Sussex Colin?

Hi rob I work around Horsham,crawley

NWH

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
🤣🤣 Crawley and Horsham eh that’s within Pi**ing distance of Gatwick and those areas are full of airport workers as is Brighton.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:41 pm »
I say plateau the iPad say Plato - let's call the whole thing off  ;D

Darran