Ralphie

All The Gear, all idea/no idea
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:12:47 pm »
So I’m on another windies  patch doing a different job for someone and walk passed their open van and you just have to look as he is busy with his slx22, hose across the main road with an old but tidy van, sign written, logo t shirt and just a tank (maybe 300litre so not huge for a transit van) but absolutely nothing else in the back of the van.

Tank was delivery only and I know where he lives whilst not knowing him so is either buying in pure or just using tap as he has no purification system.

He has been doing the job at least three years as I have been in this area for three years and so was just wondering:

How naked are some of the windies vans out their?

My missus is constantly moaning at me for all of the parcels I get delivered because I seem to need everything.  A total overkill from having delivery system, trolley and backpack - two of which I never use (guess which ones🤔).  I have every brush that you more seasoned chaps mention as I feel have I can’t help myself buying, if it’s new I get it and never seem to use it so will one day will sell.  If van got robbed I would be bolloxed because the 35 poles never leave the van except the one I use😂.

The point I’m trying to get at is are their windows out their with a more basic van as this fellas and it works, I’m sure their is loads of us with tons of kit we probably don’t use but just got to have.

jk999

Re: All The Gear, all idea/no idea
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:27:47 pm »
My filtering system is in my shed then i transfer water to van ,if i need other items for jobs i put it in van but having stuff clogging up my van does my head in no need for loads of brushes and other gear you dont need

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:29:25 pm »
So I’m on another windies  patch doing a different job for someone and walk passed their open van and you just have to look as he is busy with his slx22, hose across the main road with an old but tidy van, sign written, logo t shirt and just a tank (maybe 300litre so not huge for a transit van) but absolutely nothing else in the back of the van.

Tank was delivery only and I know where he lives whilst not knowing him so is either buying in pure or just using tap as he has no purification system.

He has been doing the job at least three years as I have been in this area for three years and so was just wondering:

My missus is constantly moaning at me for all of the parcels I get delivered because I seem to need everything.  A total overkill from having delivery system, trolley and backpack - two of which I never use (guess which ones🤔).  I have every brush that you more seasoned chaps mention as I feel have I can’t help myself buying, if it’s new I get it and never seem to use it so will one day will sell.  If van got robbed I would be bolloxed because the 35 poles never leave the van except the one I use😂.

The point I’m trying to get at is are their windows out their with a more basic van as this fellas and it works, I’m sure their is loads of us with tons of kit we probably don’t use but just got to have.

I have never had a sign written van even when I was still building my round. I have never bothered with a sign written uniform and I don't have a website.

Maybe it took me a little longer to build my round, I don't know. But one thing is for sure; there are people I have never met who know who I am in the areas we work.

The only thing visible on my van is ladders on the roof and a hose port next to my towbar with two outlets. When I'm out cleaning my hose reel is a give away to what I do, but the rear van doors are closed. The front cabin area is always locked. I did cause confusion among my customers when I arrived in a white van. They had got used to the blue one I ran for 10 years until it failed MOT on under body rust.

I do have an assortment of brushes but have resolved to use them before trying new ones on offer. My SLX22 is just on 9 years old even although its my everyday pole. My SLX40 is 11 years old, but that gets used around half a dozen times a month.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:54:14 pm »

did you enjoy being nosey ?  ;D   

ask yourself this - you have spent 100's on equipment, you have loads of brushes you never use, a van full of clutter!
sounds like he has got his working life down to fine art - basic kit that works and he can repair easily  - not everyone wants a bright new shining van that cost 10k + or payments every month - his priority could be keeping his cash for the family

our vans look pretty basic - tank, reels, pumps ladder - everything else is kept at the unit unless required on the day - gutter vac - special equipment - longer poles

sometimes we all get wrapped up with getting more a more equipment and then looking down on others with a sense of smugness

hopefully your not one of these types

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:17 pm »
I love trying new stuff if it’s good it gives me enthusiasm.

Ralphie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:57 pm »
Smudge you’re getting me all wrong, this guy does not have a filtration system in his shed, so therefore must be buying. 

I’m not trying to be smug because I am lucky enough to be able to get the gadgets, I was just wondering how far windies can actually get on the basics?

We have had the bloke with the bucket and a chammy, the cheap pole the expensive pole I was offering an opportunity for conversation on the success or other of having the basics and how far you can take it or the lucky ones like myself who has all the gear but a small round.

The totally newbies (I have promoted myself to newbie) may get a little lift knowing that you can run a good round with the basics and it’s more about the quality of your work (which my little round gets) as opposed to the guys with all the gear that still gives great service but has lots of unused gear (me again😤😂).

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:33 pm »
Over the years I've purified water and begged and bought it from friends. I've had big and small tanks and vans. Tinkered with DIY gadgets and carried several poles at a time, ladders and all sorts of gizmos, some great and others a complete waste of money.

I now have a small van and 350 tank, one pole (25) + extensions ( to make 45) on a tubeless set up with univalve and 2 brushes, one soft flocked with fans and the other mono with jets. Backpack and trad gear + a spray bottle and no nonsense degreaser. Chuck a combi ladder in only when needed. Filter water at home. Cold system and a home made pump and battery box with spring controller. And well, that's about it 😁

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 12:26:28 am »
First thing to consider is how hard is the water in your area - if it's soft then a di vessel is all that's needed - lucky so'n'so's - this could be left at home

If you have the skills then you can easily clean windows to the very best standard wether your one man outfit or have staff with the most basic items - in fact I would always suggest people start this way as you learn what the problems are and then address them by getting not only better equipment but the right equipment for you

My philosophy has always been only buy what you NEED not what you would LIKE to have

There are some that need big fancy vans and equipment to feel justified /superior - mentioning it at every opportunity like a badge of honor  ;D

It's great to buy stuff even better if you then do an in depth honest review  for others and if if makes life easier so much the better - but if your cr@p at cleaning windows then no amount of gizmo's will alter that

I made my comments based on things like "old van" and "no kit" personally, if I had had time to look in the back I would have made the effort to say hi, and chat, find out why he works the way he does - you will learn one of 2 things - a different of working or the guy is an ar$€ 0le and you stay well clear  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 07:26:00 am »
You may find that his business is far more profitable than Yours because he keeps costs low.

It may of only cost him 50p to clean that house, whereas all your gadgets and gear mean your making far less profit.

It’s not all about having the latest gadgets, it’s a bout being good at your job.

I’ve spent thousands on my set up, but I don’t know if I’m any more profitable than a small business with a basic set up.

I do enjoy my work more though I think, and it makes my working day easier.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:36:09 am »
Yes I could get by with a cheap,secondhand van,backpack/trolley,barrels,cold water,etc...been there done that but I wouldnt want to go back to that now.......

I think most of us have been guilty of buying too much gear in the past but you find your sweet spot after a few years and stop buying as many brushes,etc!👍😁
price higher/work harder!

Ralphie

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 07:47:45 am »
Yes I could get by with a cheap,secondhand van,backpack/trolley,barrels,cold water,etc...been there done that but I wouldnt want to go back to that now.......

I think most of us have been guilty of buying too much gear in the past but you find your sweet spot after a few years and stop buying as many brushes,etc!👍😁

My problem as a fairly newbie is that I monitor what people are using advising on and go and buy the bloody thing only for it to sit in the van 'til i get the chance to use it.

Don Kee

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 07:55:41 am »

My problem as a fairly newbie is that I monitor what people are using advising on and go and buy the bloody thing only for it to sit in the van 'til i get the chance to use it.

So you buy stuff for the sake of it and the other bloke only buys what he uses...

Who’s the dippy one?

jk999

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 08:03:39 am »
a couple of experiences i have had 1 was a guy i knew asked if he could look at my set up 20 years ago he couldn't believe everything i had only cost around 5 grand his set up was 25 grand he nearly fainted, secondly i used to have my van sign written a woman asked me for a price when i gave her a price she said i have been wanting a Window cleaner for a long time but didn't want to ask you as i thought you might be to expensive with having the sign written van ,so having all your van sign written up and with all the expensive gear doesn't always mean your gonna get all the customers most always go for the guys that dont look as though they are gonna be expensive, or guys that are well established like me 😇👍

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 08:07:35 am »
Having a nice,clean sign written van does pay off in the long run esp if you work in posher areas......without a doubt....
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 08:14:12 am »
Saving time should be the influencing factor in any additional purchase beyond the basics you need to to the job. If it's going to save you time over the course of a day that means  more earning potential or shorter hours and a better hourly rate.

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 08:21:20 am »
Saving time should be the influencing factor in any additional purchase beyond the basics you need to to the job. If it's going to save you time over the course of a day that means  more earning potential or shorter hours and a better hourly rate.

+1

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 09:18:47 am »
Smudge you’re getting me all wrong, this guy does not have a filtration system in his shed, so therefore must be buying. 

I’m not trying to be smug because I am lucky enough to be able to get the gadgets, I was just wondering how far windies can actually get on the basics?

We have had the bloke with the bucket and a chammy, the cheap pole the expensive pole I was offering an opportunity for conversation on the success or other of having the basics and how far you can take it or the lucky ones like myself who has all the gear but a small round.

The totally newbies (I have promoted myself to newbie) may get a little lift knowing that you can run a good round with the basics and it’s more about the quality of your work (which my little round gets) as opposed to the guys with all the gear that still gives great service but has lots of unused gear (me again😤😂).
What does he have in his shed then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ralphie

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 10:32:12 am »

What does he have in his shed then?

Me :P :D :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ooooooog

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »
Over the years I've purified water and begged and bought it from friends. I've had big and small tanks and vans. Tinkered with DIY gadgets and carried several poles at a time, ladders and all sorts of gizmos, some great and others a complete waste of money.

I now have a small van and 350 tank, one pole (25) + extensions ( to make 45) on a tubeless set up with univalve and 2 brushes, one soft flocked with fans and the other mono with jets. Backpack and trad gear + a spray bottle and no nonsense degreaser. Chuck a combi ladder in only when needed. Filter water at home. Cold system and a home made pump and battery box with spring controller. And well, that's about it 😁

That really is all you need.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 04:02:15 pm »
Electric reel extreme poles extreme brushes  and hot water buy those 3 things and you can save all the rest you’ll waste,3 things essential to the serious operator like me m8 🤣🤣🤣👍