Shrek

Is sun cream an allowable expense?
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:03:19 am »
So I only buy one of the best sun creams -
Soltan 50+ 5 star UVA ultra , very high UVB , water resistant.
The only one worth it really for our job, my question is , is it an allowable expense?
I sure wouldn’t be buying/ using so much suncream if I wasn’t a window cleaner!

Cheers

dazmond

Re: Is sun cream an allowable expense?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:12:54 am »
i never put sun cream down as an expense,we dont get that many days where you have to use sun cream in this country.....even if you use a full bottle during the spring/summer months....whats that?a fiver? ::)roll

i use factor 30 for work and put it on just before i head out the door on sunny,warm days,thats it,i never re apply during the day....

...i have bought some factor 50 for my upcoming trip to mexico.....the sun will defo be stronger over there! 8)
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:41 am »
It depends on your skin type I suppose, I burn easy so wear it from March/ April until autumn. So go through a bit more than one bottle . The sun doesn’t have to be out for you to get skin cancer daz

Slacky

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:19:38 am »
...i hve bought some factor 50 for my upcoming trip to mexico.....the sun will defo be stronger over there! 8)

You're going to Mexico?

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:56 am »
...i hve bought some factor 50 for my upcoming trip to mexico.....the sun will defo be stronger over there! 8)

You're going to Mexico?

cant wait matt....only a few weeks to go! :D

G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:12 am »
It depends on your skin type I suppose, I burn easy so wear it from March/ April until autumn. So go through a bit more than one bottle . The sun doesn’t have to be out for you to get skin cancer daz
Wise words, Shrek.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:34 am »

it still wont be an allowable expense just because you have fair skin thats for sure......

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:34 am »
Yes it is it would come under the heading of Ppe  not that we claim for it

Scrimble

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:44 am »
your best off asking your accountant, I put it down as PPE, same as sunglasses

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:58 am »
Cheers 👍

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:51:36 am »
Maybe but I bet HRMC would want a break down of how much was for business use and how much personal.

Not sure how you would measure it

Jonny 87

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 12:05:14 pm »
Is it worth it?

Seems a lot of hassle and risk to save a few quid on tax. Hmrc could argue that you didn’t just use it for work.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

RPCCS

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:53 pm »
It won't be allowable, you would need to use it even if you weren't.self employed
Cheers Rich

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:21 pm »
your best off asking your accountant, I put it down as PPE, same as sunglasses
Correct.
And I get mine to do my back for me while I'm there. His hands are softer than his secretary's.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:09 pm »
Yes it is - same as physio's which help you get back to work

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:24 pm »
It won't be allowable, you would need to use it even if you weren't.self employed

It is allowable all big building firms give it to there employees as part of there ppe package the same as hard hats and steel toe cap boots , my accountant asked  me why I hadn’t put it down as an expense I personally don’t use sun screen in this country so I don’t claim for it , but as an employer it’s your duty of care to supply it for employees if they work outside in the sun , but my guys are happy to supply there own , but technically I should give it to them .

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 03:14:07 pm »
If models can claim for makeup products for their job we can claim suncream to assist in our safety protection costs.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Shrek

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 03:39:11 pm »
Is it worth it?

Seems a lot of hassle and risk to save a few quid on tax. Hmrc could argue that you didn’t just use it for work.

What do you mean risk? I’m not doing anything illegal, just wondering whether to bin the receipts or give them to my accountant.
Save a few quid on tax ? Is that not what we all do , put our expenses in to save a few quid on tax? I take it you don’t claim for any gloves you wear because it’s only a few quid?

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 03:40:49 pm »

If I wasn’t a window cleaner , I’d be a full time trader on the stock market. I doubt very much I would wear suncream to sit in my living room or office on my computer

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 05:09:17 pm »
Is it a genuine expense required for you to undertake your work safely?
Ofcourse it is- thus it is an expense the same as any other.👍
Comfortably Numb!