Dane

Re: Taking a stance
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 05:16:02 pm »
Ah well ive booked it in for next week so time will tell if I’ve got it right, I was thinking of binning it off from some of the comments but I’m intrigued to test my pricing and then learn from it either way - that’s what it’s about after all isnt it?

Cheers guys 👍🏿

dazmond

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 05:51:10 pm »
I wouldn’t say a newbie dazmond but I know what you’re saying when it comes to reading posts on here about what people charge / earn. Happy with £25 an hour?  guess we’d all like to earn more - I work out my prices on what I feel I could live off, expenses blah blah, what others are charging. Does make me wonder how people get work in the area (if they actually do) by charging more, I also wouldn’t budge and charge a penny less. It works for me mate

the £25 job in question could probably be cleaned in 30 mins(not an hour)which is more like it.(after the initial clean is done)

today i was cleaning 4 weekly/8 weekly estate work(NOT MY BEST WORK) with prices ranging from £8-£15(mainly small semis).i only worked 930am-2pm(30 mins for lunch)so 4 hours actually cleaning and still earned £170.i finished early because im not well at the moment(stinking cold!).the work is very compact though....

high flow/hot water/xtreme brush and i just flew through the jobs.splash and dash including frames,sills and doors... ;D

Hi dazmond, plenty of Lemsip tonight, what number flow do you work with, when using Hot, do you use Hot all the time now.
Larry

flow on 40 on the liquid logic controller and yes i use hot all the time now Larry (heater on full whack)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:45 pm »
Ah well ive booked it in for next week so time will tell if I’ve got it right, I was thinking of binning it off from some of the comments but I’m intrigued to test my pricing and then learn from it either way - that’s what it’s about after all isnt it?

Cheers guys 👍🏿

most of my larger houses are on an 8 weekly frequency mate.you might just surprise yourself(after the first clean).it doesnt sound like its  60 min job... ;).more like 30 mins.....

Spruce

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:23 am »

Cheers guys 👍🏿

Even when we've been around a whilst we all don't get pricing right sometimes. When you are quoting you don't know all the issues you might encounter. You also don't know what the customers perception of what they value the clean at when quoting.
To begin with we played the supermarket game. When supermarkets advertise specials they usually increase the price fractionally on other items to compensate.

So some jobs you may not do so well from where others pay better than expected. When we first started the small round we were given were mainly council house tenants. They were underpriced but we got paid on the day and neighbours paid for those who were out.  We later put the prices up and a lot cancelled because their perceived price was less than the new price we were asking.

If we had done the price increase earlier then we would have lost out. Leaving it until after we got our round established meant losing those customers didn't impact on our turnover as much.

The old expression taking the rough with the smooth applies to us cleaners as well, although we need to keep the rough as small as possible.

As Daz says, some jobs take ages to do to start with but become quicker over time. If they don't, then you can always go cap in hand and ask for an increase because the job is taking longer than you estimated it would. If they don't accept that then you choose. But if you continue to clean, you will loose.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:43 am »
some jobs im earning £50-£60 an hour.there is even one domestic job where i earn £80 for an hours work(2 x£40 jobs next door to each other)but that doesnt mean im earning loads of money....

my average is around the £40-£45 an hour mark (consistently over the course of a week,month,year)

like spruce has already said some work is cheaper but the better work evens the hourly rate up higher....BUT i also work very efficiently..(high flow and hot water usually.)i also have everything organised the night before in regards to invoices/chits etc.....

my expenses are high though for a sole trader......£7k-£8k a year(van lease and heating my water is around £3,600 per year now)

Plankton

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 09:48:24 am »
I took a job on last summer, newish sash windows but the square pane type. Last windys had stopped going and he accepted the £34 price which was £16 more! So no wonder the trad guys sacked it. It takes me an hour including chit chat and me enjoying the view and looking around the garden so could do a bit quicker.
It's a common problem around Glasgow where folks are spoiled with an abundance of cheap windys, there are obviously people charging the correct amount but there's too many too cheap.

dazmond

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 04:21:55 pm »
I took a job on last summer, newish sash windows but the square pane type. Last windys had stopped going and he accepted the £34 price which was £16 more! So no wonder the trad guys sacked it. It takes me an hour including chit chat and me enjoying the view and looking around the garden so could do a bit quicker.
It's a common problem around Glasgow where folks are spoiled with an abundance of cheap windys, there are obviously people charging the correct amount but there's too many too cheap.

this is what its been like for quite a few years where i work mate.i picked one up a while ago and the last (trad) windy(who i know!) was charging her £25!!i charge her £65 and it takes me just over an hour on maintenance cleans.these people with large houses can easily afford it....happy days..... 8)