martin hulstone

Re: Which is the best way to baffle a water tank ?
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 11:36:39 pm »
My main worry with an ibc tank (the ones like i have to store water in that you can press your finger in) is that they could rupture and throw there contents out if you had to slam on, its got nothing to do with driving ,as everybody has to be cautious with their driving ,transporting large volumes of water.

CleanClear

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:57 am »
My main worry with an ibc tank (the ones like i have to store water in that you can press your finger in) is that they could rupture and throw there contents out if you had to slam on, its got nothing to do with driving ,as everybody has to be cautious with their driving ,transporting large volumes of water.
There's several problems associated with IBC's, or rather using them for how we intend to use them. But that does not mean we can't use them safely.

All IBC's are not created equal. There are some very nice alloy frames attatched to a nice alloy pallet base available, as opposed to one screwed onto some old wooden pallet. So assuming you've got a decent IBC, how to secure it ? So its safe and legal ?

Well a look at whats required by law and what DVSA (formerly VOSA) will look for might help. The load (in this case the tank or IBC) should be positioned so it is against a bulkhead, where this is not directly possible a dummy bulkead should be utilised or something to connect the load (tank)  physdically to the bulkhead. So in practice that will mean bars, or a frame going across to stop the ibc from coming foreward. It should also be secured down to the load bed, so it cannot move up. A ratchet strap (or two) will legally suffice for this assuming you have got good anchorage points. If you havn't then properley securing it through a bolted bar system through the floor would suffice (aka a frame). Also the tank/load should not be able to move backwards, so more ratchets, or more incorporation of your frame.

In practice an IBC against a bulkhead and secured with ratchets or a simple bar frame system is 100% legal and importantly safe, its going no where. And before anyone tells me any old bumf about the strength of a bulkhead and so many ton of water going through it i'll just remind you that a simple bulkhead on the average artic flat trailer is responsible for restraining 20 tonnes plus. Of course if you don't put your load against the bulk head and have to brake hard and the load moves foreward it would only require a small 1 tonne load to smash your bulkhead. The loading against the bulkhead is important to stop foreward movement.

Baffling a tank is never going to remove the fact you have X amount of weight in the back, all it will do is help the vehicles handling. Of course the weight will not be being displaced this way and that way so quickly. It will remain constant, or thats the hope. And of course an IBC tank won't rupture no matter how thin you think it is.

An IBC ( a decent one) at about 60 or 70 quid and maybe £200 for a nice safe frame retention system to be fitted and you've got something far superior to one of them one size fits all pre manufactured systems for X thousand pounds. And of course if you baffle it (this topic) with some drainage tube its even better.

Next topic................Where's best to mount your RO on your van tank?   Answer = In your shed !!   ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smudger

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:39 am »
Well posted that man!!

The biggest problem is momentum, any solid object placed against the bulkhead in effect becomes part of the van

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 12:48:34 am »
Your strong opinion makes me laugh. This reminds me of when I used to drive buses, sitting in the bothy listening to drivers talking absolute nonsense. Cleanclear being an experienced professional driver is right, you have to drive appropriately taking into consideration the load you are carrying. The drivers hazard perception, acceleration, deceleration, planning ahead, road conditions etc can effect the vehicle and it's load. An IBC 'intermediate bulk container' can be a number of things one of which often reffered to as a tonne bag or bulk bag which builders yards use are "single trip".

Mate im glad your amused as obviously as a bus driver in the past, perhaps listening to a story half way through and getting completely the wrong end of it. Perhaps go bk to the first post on this thread n read all comments and then realise you have just proved my point about ibc tanks And how unapropriate they are.  So you are wrongly sumising that I also use an ibc tank. Oh and thank you for explaining the full name of the tank as we didnt kno that  :o  The comments about sensible driving is obvious and thats why no comments have been made in that reference apart from hoping people do drive sensible esp if not properly secured their water containers!! And more so if they use an unapropriate ibc tank!!
Please, your lack of the full picture makes me laugh as well. So we both walk away amused.

[/quote]Nothing to do with half stories, it's about half-wits making things up as they go along. Strong opinions or strong body odour has absolutely nothing to do with the law or what VOSA deem to be unsafe.

"which is flimsy and unsafe to transport Liquids as it wasnt designed for such purpose. "
[/quote]

"Do i have to spell it out to you chaps.......ibc tanks are for liquid storage not for transporting liquids in a vehicle!!!!"

Your wrong!!!!!!!!!! :) ;) :D ;D

Steven Biggs

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 04:52:46 am »
So do you think a tank pushed up against the bulkhead . And not bolted through the floor .Is safer than a tank bolted through the floor and positioned away from the bulkhead . Barry .

Smudger

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 07:39:58 am »
not safer, but as safe provided it was still secured, and tank size plays a factor 500 litres and smaller against bulkhead I'd be happy with straps 600 up to 1000 I'd go the extra step and bolt it in, even against the bulk head to stop any upward movement.

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Steven Biggs

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 08:42:46 am »
You've got me thinking now . I've got a 650 tank strapped up tight to the bulkhead . But the van never goes above 30 mph and my journeys are never more than 3 miles . Usually in slow moving traffic . Never even use a dual carriageway never mind a motorway . Any thoughts cheers barry .