Stoots

How did you start window cleaning? taking the plunge
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:38:30 pm »
Hi, after 10 years of working dead end jobs approx 18mnths ago i had the idea to be self employed, i setup as a car valeter just doing 1 job a week on a saturday, then i had a setback with personal problems and it went on the back burner, anyway as of april this year i quit my full time job and too a part time job hoping to build up slowly.

Anyway although i ws getting 1-2 jobs a week from phone calls/website i was struggling to build up regular work, so around september i had the idea of window cleaning, low on funds i picked up a few jobs from fb and practiced. I now have a few custies and looking to build up over the winter into spring , when hopefully i will be able to go full time self employed at last...

Just wondered how you guys started, did you build steady? just quit your job or dive in? im excited yet scared to take the leap what with the guaranteed bills paid each month etc that you get being employed, but the money is crap i can never live the life i want on minimum wage!

Fin Clearview

Re: How did you start window cleaning? taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:37:30 am »
Why didn't the valeting take off?

paulben

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:24 am »
Made redundant didn't want to work for any one else also was scared of heights so thought it would sort out my fear and it did . almost gave up with lack of work until 6 months when things started to take off . best thing I did work wise.
Do not steal the government hates competition

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:22:25 am »

Didnt put the effort in. Cannot wor in any sort of drizzle. Plus harder to get regular work people dont want a monthly car valet. It will take off eventually I just need to target commercial.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:34:57 am »
Last resort job for me. Print trade was collapsing so had to find something that required no skills, no training and no qualifications. Which meant cleaning windows  ;D
Built my own system with help from here, started canvassing and away I went, got too much work for two careers so jumped ship.

Not a bad way to earn a living - hate it some days - quite enjoy it others but would never say I love it.

colin bird

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:36:08 am »
Hi, after 10 years of working dead end jobs approx 18mnths ago i had the idea to be self employed, i setup as a car valeter just doing 1 job a week on a saturday, then i had a setback with personal problems and it went on the back burner, anyway as of april this year i quit my full time job and too a part time job hoping to build up slowly.

Anyway although i ws getting 1-2 jobs a week from phone calls/website i was struggling to build up regular work, so around september i had the idea of window cleaning, low on funds i picked up a few jobs from fb and practiced. I now have a few custies and looking to build up over the winter into spring , when hopefully i will be able to go full time self employed at last...

Just wondered how you guys started, did you build steady? just quit your job or dive in? im excited yet scared to take the leap what with the guaranteed bills paid each month etc that you get being employed, but the money is crap i can never live the life i want on minimum wage!

hi mate I started window cleaning six and a half years ago,at the time I was also doing a bit of carpet cleaning.
Personally what I did was invested in a decent van and system,I was in a position where I had the money to invest in my new business,the fear of failure didn't cross my mind,as I was confident that if I  kept knocking on doors I would gain work,in my opinion canvassing is the quickest and best way to gain work,maybe this is due to I am confident enough tot knock on someone's door and talk to them,if your not happy to canvass you will have to put out thousands of leaflets to gain a few customers,in my opinion this way will take o long time to build a round.
Basically there's no easy route,I just kept canvassing,and still do now to replace messers and customers that drop me.

Good luck

SeanK

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:19:18 am »
I was working in a very unhealthy environment so when the chance of voluntary redundancy came up
it took it.
Put my redundancy money into buying a van, WFP equipment and a gutter vac without having ever cleaned
a window or a single customer to my name.
Took a small business course on the back to work program which was a real eye opener.
Dropped about 20000 leaflets never got a single call and then started to worry.
Bit the bullet and done the one thing I hate more than anything else in life I door knocked, got about 60 customers
in two weeks.
That was it, I done a decent job charged a fair price and the work just started pouring in through recommendations.
I'm now going just over seven years and next year I will be employing which is another first for me.
That's what I love about this job, I can do what suits me, and work the hours that suit me.
Don't get me wrong there have been a few ups and downs along the way and a few near call it a day moments
but nothing worth doing or having in life is easy.
I was also at the stage in my life when I was debt and mortgage free and had a few quid as back up so I wouldn't recommend the way I did things to everybody.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:08 am »
After many years (25+) in engineering making everything from washers to F1 components redundancy loomed large again (4th time) decided that I'd give something a go on my own so armed with the family vitara, vileda squeegee, sponge and bucket I canvassed the village I was living in...   Never looked back, that was 5 years ago

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:15 am »

Didnt put the effort in. Cannot wor in any sort of drizzle. Plus harder to get regular work people dont want a monthly car valet. It will take off eventually I just need to target commercial.
If you didn't put the effort in with the valeting then why should it be any different window cleaning...building a window cleaning business isn't easy the job itself is but getting loyal customers isn't easy you have to go through all the timewasters it's demoralising and it takes someone with a hard nose and grit and determination to succeed.

I don't want to sound harsh but that's how it is.

SeanK

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:55 am »
After many years (25+) in engineering making everything from washers to F1 components redundancy loomed large again (4th time) decided that I'd give something a go on my own so armed with the family vitara, vileda squeegee, sponge and bucket I canvassed the village I was living in...   Never looked back, that was 5 years ago

Darran

30+ years doing the same Darran, but I do miss manufacturing at times you don't get a finished product with cleaning.
I'm sure you know what I mean.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:57:36 am »
Worked for NASA and decided I wanted to earn more. So I quit my lifestyle and started window cleaning. Best thing I ever did. £800 by lunch time most days.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:29:58 am »
Got asked by a customer whilst cleaning their carpets if I knew any window cleaners as they hadn't had one in their estate for over a year.  I leafletted the estate and picked up 6 of them initially, now got 47 in that estate out of 81 houses.... and another 3,500 in other estates  ;D 3 vans and 6 window cleaners fully employed.  8 vans and 18 staff in total now in all our cleaning operations.

andyM

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:38 am »
Worked for NASA and decided I wanted to earn more. So I quit my lifestyle and started window cleaning. Best thing I ever did. £800 by lunch time most days.

You must of been over the moon with how it finally worked out.
One of the Plebs

Window Lickers

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:40 am »
I fell off a ladder and landed on my feet.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Tom-01

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 10:57:42 am »
I fell off a ladder and landed on my feet.

Don't you mean your head?

:-*

Window Lickers

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
It was my head at first but I bounced and came to rest on my feet.

I've been resting there ever since.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:00 pm »
I lost my job as a banker and needed something that would pay at least £150k a year.  So I started cleaning windows.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 01:29:56 pm »
Yes I know what you mean Sean, next door still manufacture stuff for the oil industry, I can say I dont miss the smell of the coolant  :-X

I mainly do the first off cleans, SFG and pressure washing so you get some satisfaction of leaving stuff clean and shiny

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

LWC

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 01:41:34 pm »
My dad did it...and my grandad...would be wrong of me not to do it...not sure how my daughter feels about taking it over when shes old enough  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »