PoleKing

Re: Cleaning inside windows
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »

I am genuinely interested to see any damage it does.
I'm only interested in UPVC and glass though tbh.
Obviously it's fine on cars, that's why it was designed.
Can't think of anywhere else I'd use it...

Just for clarity, I know TFR is acid but is it caustic? Is there a difference?

Darren, i've no idea about the do's or don'ts of TFR's on UPVC or windows, but i can tell you 100% they DO NOT work on vehicles, even though thats what they are designed for. If they where i would not be (an neither would anyone else) using brushes and sponges on them if the TFR worked !!! We just use soap to make everything glide easier !!! I clean a good few vehicles.

Brake dust on alloys though CC? I've not found anything better...
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:32 pm »
Sorry Tadgh but a cloth will never leave a 'superior finish' to a squeegee. Never.

I'd disagree with this . Jewlers cases, crystal glasses, picture frames, mirrors are NOT cleaned with a squeegee. Aside from which your comment, roughly, the same was said about WFP when it first came out, and to an extent still seems to cause debate even today.
  I'm very profficient with a mop and blade and yet i have reverted to cloths on some interiors. For the sole reason they are quicker and do the same job. Also to add some of the shop fronts i do i am having to go round and spot remove finger prints because a mop and squeegee has not removed them. Thats how good a mop and squeegee is as a 100% cure all, its just not. Aside from which, most of us indeed using cloths to detail edges, remove the odd blade mark etc. Apparently if we all dog eared our channels so we didn't need to detail we wouldn't even need a cloth ?
  A basic fact of using a squeegee is that it needs lubrication to move, and that ends up running down everywhere, no matter how much you try to catch it. Yes i'm aware you can do that and i do it, i'm also aware there are situations where you just cannot do it, so use a cloth !!

Hi Mike, I am glad you mentioned detailing as there is huge potential for offering this service to high street retailers, we promote detailing to retailers for their shop front windows (both interior and exterior) plus for their glass display cases,mirrors,lighting,crystal,etc. this service is very well received and they are happy to pay well as the results are so impressive, many of the high end retailers have told us one of their pet hates is when their merchandise is on display at night there is nothing worse than seeing squeegee marks on the windows as when the window lights are on at night these streak marks can look awful, for this reason alone they are happy to pay as a window which is sparkling clear makes their merchandise stand out more, this service generates plenty of referral business as most good retailers will tell their colleagues about the improved results, when we detail large shop windows we always clean with microfiber cloths then use a blade to wipe down excess moisture but always polish the whole window with a dry microfiber to achieve a streak free finish, its worth pointing out never use any wash up liquid or traditional type glass and mirror cleaner as they expect perfect results when they are paying the extra for this window detailing service, again this is a market that is wide open with willing clients as they will stay with you because of the results. its just a matter of explaining the benefits to the owner or manager and when you can guarantee them the no streak finish they will def give it a try.

CleanClear

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »

Darren, i've no idea about the do's or don'ts of TFR's on UPVC or windows, but i can tell you 100% they DO NOT work on vehicles, even though thats what they are designed for. If they where i would not be (an neither would anyone else) using brushes and sponges on them if the TFR worked !!! We just use soap to make everything glide easier !!! I clean a good few vehicles.

To be honest i've never had a problem getting it off with just soap and water, or even with my wfp System and brush. But there is an acid we use for alloy occasionally, its probably about as environmentally unfriendly as you can get !!! But if you spray it on an alloy (truck ) tank, or a wheel then guaranteed they come up like you've been scrubbing them with brasso. This won't apply to modern alloy wheels which are painted silver and have a layer of laquer on, but all the other stuff, yeah its great. I've no idea what harm it does, but it stands to reason that it at least "takes a layer off".
  Going back to UPVC, in my opinion if a solvent is not removing ingrained dirt, then it needs a layer taking off, whether thats an abrasive cream, fine wire wool whatever.......i've yet to find anything else to truly whiten up or rejuvenate UPVC.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 01:02:02 am »

Hi again PoleKing just to let you know TFRs do not contain acid they are high alkaline based  usually with a pH value of between 12 to 13.5 which makes them very corrosive , its the continuous use of these harsh chemicals that cause the detrimental damage to surfaces, when it comes to alloy wheels TFRS will really cause detrimental damage from continuous use again because they are very corrosive and will end up etching the alloys, if you want a solution to this problem i can offer you a product which you can apply to clean alloy wheels, once you start using this product every 3 months on your alloys thereafter you only have to use a microfiber cloth and water to keep them clean, if this solution would be of benefit to you send me an email and i will share some info with you.

Regards

Tadgh

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:11 am »
So I think you have decided a cloth is the best way to go. Now what is the best chemical to use

Hi Duncan, one of the benefits of using microfiber technology is that you can use them without any chemicals so we just use them damp with water unless we are detailing glass and mirrors then we would  use them with a special cleaning solution that wont leave behind any streaks,smears, or residues.

Keiron Bradley

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 01:42:18 am »
Hi Tadgh, just wanted to thank you for your genuinely knowledgeable,informative and constructive comments.As you rightly say that's the whole point of a forum,but of course,some ignorant idiots always think they know best.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 02:17:07 am »
Hi Tadgh, just wanted to thank you for your genuinely knowledgeable,informative and constructive comments.As you rightly say that's the whole point of a forum,but of course,some ignorant idiots always think they know best.

Hi Keiron, thank you for your kind comments, i have to admit there was a time when i was ignorant myself to this industry but now after being involved for more than 30 years i have copped on to the large chemical manufacturers who are producing all the harsh chemicals which cause all the detrimental damage, when i started there was no one really to give you proper advice and the manufacturers reps did not know any better as they were being spun the same BS as they were spinning to us.now thankfully today technology has moved on and there are plenty of companies producing safer and more effective cleaning solutions, its just a matter of keeping an open mind use the internet as your source to find these safer solutions ask for or pay for samples and test them out, having a forum like CIU is a great resource for sharing experiences and ideas which can be of benefit to all members and especially to the newer guys joining our industry.