Richard iSparkle

Re: Anyone got a zero hour contract template
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:27 am »
Peeps.
Im after a zero hours contract template if anyone has one or a real one I could numptyise Id be grateful if you could email me it at windows@albrightandshiny.co.uk

Hi jim,

nothing wrong with a zero hr contract in my mind.  i would wonder if it would gain you the same loyalty as a contract with set hours, but at the right time and place they are an option.  you could always start people on zero hrs with the view of giving them set hrs when the work is there and they have proved themselves relaible and good.

with the moral issues asisde, isn;t azero hr contract just a contract without set hours.  so where i put on my contracts say 36hrs a week (for example) you would put 0 hrs.  the terms and condtions of a contract are the same.

R
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »
What Im exploring is a 6 month zero hours contract on an hourly rate and a productivity based bonus.. Then once everyone is happy . put them on a 20 or 30 hours contract with productivity bonus.. Should work for everyone at all levels.
My prospect is on minimum wage currently and getting messed around. He knows that I would have to subsidise his wages per the first 6 months and that some days there could be no work.. While It would be a zero hours contract on paper I feel morally obliged to match at least what he is currently on with a view to getting as much work in as fast as possible..

The Zero hours contract is purely a get out of Jail clause if he does not perform as expected or for some reason the work I currently has dries up..

Dean Taberner

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »
Its not until you get taken to an employment tribunal that you realise the benefit of a zero hour contract. Decent staff have nothing to fear and their jobs will always be safe, they will always have holiday pay, they will always earn a decent wage. The zero hour contract is there to protect the employer, I personally don't have my staff on one but any new staff who I may take on in the future will be having one.

So what your saying is its wrong to have anything that's protects the employee but its alright to have something
that protects the employer.
I have a few mates who work for a major supermarket on nights all with one hour contracts.
They go in on the first night knowing that the next night only two thirds of them will be needed.
So they don't take any of the allocated breaks work flat out and kiss the managers backside with the hope of
getting another night and so on. Cap in hand comes to mind.
One guy was let go, he couldn't come in because his kid had went into hospital.
There's not one of them who wouldn't spit in the managers face and walk out if they had the choice.
That's the reality of most zero hour contracts.

I'm not saying that its wrong mate no,

What I'm saying is that in my experience its best to protect yourself, anybody who works for me I will treat fairly, there's no need for them to kiss my backside to keep their jobs, if they're good I want them to work for me, pay them hol pay, loads of overtime etc.

There is an uncurable illness that effects some people though, mainly window cleaner. Its called feetunderthetableitas. Its terminal, and usually shows after anything between 3 months and 18months of employment. The symptoms are that a guy who once once one of the best lads you've got almost overnight turns into somebody who is taking their job for granted and turns into a complete arse. Those who employ will know what I mean.

I zero hour contract would help to protect against this.
Stupidity too because those employees have no protection or right to an employment tribunal until they have worked for you two years. A zero hour contract won't change that.

Are you saying you should keep somebody on for just under 2 years and then get rid of them?
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

g.brookes

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »
The main problem with the zero contract in my opinion is that it's left wide open for abuse. The majority of employers that use it to do to save costs as much as possible at the detriment to their workers.
It's a very difficult situation, in principal I am against zero hour contracts because the large companies like whetherspoons use them to squeeze
Every penny they can out out of their staff avoiding all the supposed benefits of being employed rather than self employed
However, when it comes to small traders I think zero hour contracts can be better. Simply because they protect the employer from being messed around, long term sickness etc. If you only employ one person and they go off sick for 2 months then it could destroy your business. Whereas for someone like whetherspoons it wouldn't make a difference.
The only concern again is that the employer take the p_ss.
If like dene says they are happy to provide holiday and sick pay etc then everyone wins.

8weekly

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »
Its not until you get taken to an employment tribunal that you realise the benefit of a zero hour contract. Decent staff have nothing to fear and their jobs will always be safe, they will always have holiday pay, they will always earn a decent wage. The zero hour contract is there to protect the employer, I personally don't have my staff on one but any new staff who I may take on in the future will be having one.

So what your saying is its wrong to have anything that's protects the employee but its alright to have something
that protects the employer.
I have a few mates who work for a major supermarket on nights all with one hour contracts.
They go in on the first night knowing that the next night only two thirds of them will be needed.
So they don't take any of the allocated breaks work flat out and kiss the managers backside with the hope of
getting another night and so on. Cap in hand comes to mind.
One guy was let go, he couldn't come in because his kid had went into hospital.
There's not one of them who wouldn't spit in the managers face and walk out if they had the choice.
That's the reality of most zero hour contracts.

I'm not saying that its wrong mate no,

What I'm saying is that in my experience its best to protect yourself, anybody who works for me I will treat fairly, there's no need for them to kiss my backside to keep their jobs, if they're good I want them to work for me, pay them hol pay, loads of overtime etc.

There is an uncurable illness that effects some people though, mainly window cleaner. Its called feetunderthetableitas. Its terminal, and usually shows after anything between 3 months and 18months of employment. The symptoms are that a guy who once once one of the best lads you've got almost overnight turns into somebody who is taking their job for granted and turns into a complete arse. Those who employ will know what I mean.

I zero hour contract would help to protect against this.
Stupidity too because those employees have no protection or right to an employment tribunal until they have worked for you two years. A zero hour contract won't change that.

Are you saying you should keep somebody on for just under 2 years and then get rid of them?
No. I was asking you how a zero hour contract protects you from being taken to a tribunal.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:06 pm »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

PoleKing

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »
If anyone has got that 0 hour contract, can i have a copy too please?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

8weekly

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 06:36:46 am »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean
Not currently, but I was a founding director of a software company and employed 5 staff.

Why do you ask? Would that excuse me being muddled over zero hour contracts and other employment rights?

andyM

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:30 am »
Im just wondering how a zero hours contract affects an employee?
Difficulty when applying for a mortgage or loan or private rental contract?
Worry and stress due to not knowing what their given income will be weekly/monthly?
Not being able to plan for holidays etc. due to uncertainty?
Loss of morale and self worth due to not feeling valued by their employer?
One of the Plebs

*Hector*

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:42 am »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean
Not currently, but I was a founding director of a software company and employed 5 staff.

Why do you ask? Would that excuse me being muddled over zero hour contracts and other employment rights?

Wasn't based in Hungerford was it? with a fellow director called Clive??
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

8weekly

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 08:30:33 am »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

Wasn't based in Hungerford was it? with a fellow director called Clive??
No, Maidenhead... well Bray to be totally accurate.

SeanK

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:30 am »
Im just wondering how a zero hours contract affects an employee?
Difficulty when applying for a mortgage or loan or private rental contract?
Worry and stress due to not knowing what their given income will be weekly/monthly?
Not being able to plan for holidays etc. due to uncertainty?
Loss of morale and self worth due to not feeling valued by their employer?

Exactly and how would it effect us as a service provider, if you don't know how much money you've got
coming in from one week to the next your not going to take the chance and spend it on having your
windows cleaned.
The same goes for other businesses that provide goods and services if they aren't getting custom then they
also have no spare cash for things like window cleaning.
The problem is that if one greedy company does it to cut costs then others have no choice they have to do the same
to compete.
That's why we have to be careful when supporting things like zero hour contracts it might look good for are business
in the short term but not so good long term.

windowswashed

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 09:26:05 am »
better off on benefits than zero hour contracts, that's how people on income support see it and as it is. Zero hour contracts are an exploitation by employers who pray on the very vulnerable.....should be banned imo.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

So the answer is no. Thought so. Lol.

8weekly

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:58 pm »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

Edited. Some people aren't worth arguing with.

alfie11

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »
There is little justification for employing people on zero hours contracts in instances where they are, to all intents and purposes, regular full time employees

Dean Taberner

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 05:19:51 pm »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

Lol Pmsl rofl lmao!

Neil Jones

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
So I asked all my staff today whether it bothered them that they were on a zero hour contract.
Not one was bothered. Ill stick to my zero hour contract and you can all sit on your soap box, I'm quite happy down here.

8weekly

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 05:42:46 pm »
8weekly? Do you employ?

Cheers,

Dean

Lol Pmsl rofl lmao!
I bet I pay my leafleters more an hour than you pay your workers. I suspect that is why you have problems with them. Getting ped with them won't help either.  ;)

8weekly

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »
So I asked all my staff today whether it bothered them that they were on a zero hour contract.
Not one was bothered. Ill stick to my zero hour contract and you can all sit on your soap box, I'm quite happy down here.
Would you expect them to say anything else to you?  ::)roll