Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

Anyone got a zero hour contract template
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:01:38 pm »
Peeps.
Im after a zero hours contract template if anyone has one or a real one I could numptyise Id be grateful if you could email me it at windows@albrightandshiny.co.uk

8weekly

Re: Anyone got a zero hour contract template
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »
I never understand why a windowcleaner would offer employment on those terms. Not what you asked, but in my opinion they are exploitative.

PoleKing

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:52 pm »
I never understand why a windowcleaner would offer employment on those terms. Not what you asked, but in my opinion they are exploitative.

my sister had one at Thomas Cook. She loved it.
For some it works, for some it doesn't.
Being offered work is never exploitative.
It's down to the individual to take it or leave it.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
Never said I was going to employ on those terms...... I do need to look at All the options before I sit down with my prospective employee and see what works for BOTH of us...

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »

If it is the only job on offer it would be more difficult to turn it down. And do you use the same defence with bad landlords? It's down to the individual to take it or leave it? Employers are simply taking advantage of poor employment opportunities.

Your sister loved the fact that from one week to the next she didn't know if she would be working?

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:52:08 pm »
guys Im after a look at one. not a discussion on the morality of them or not.. Anyone got one I can have a look at?

PoleKing

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:01:42 am »

If it is the only job on offer it would be more difficult to turn it down. And do you use the same defence with bad landlords? It's down to the individual to take it or leave it? Employers are simply taking advantage of poor employment opportunities.

Your sister loved the fact that from one week to the next she didn't know if she would be working?

There's never only one option IME.
Bad landlords? Yeah. If you don't like it-move out.
Bad customers-dump.
Bad window cleaners-chuck 'em.
There are loads if jobs out there.
Not Swedish volley ball masseurs but work nonetheless. All depends how much you want to work.

You've looked at it 'glass half empty' with my sister.
She had the contract, they rang her up if they needed her.
If she wanted some extra $ she went in, if she didn't-she didn't.
Everyone was happy.
Problem is-it's not a blanket, one size fits all.
I see what you mean, that some people could be taken advantage of.
But it's not the case that everyone on a 0 contract doesn't like it.
OP asked for one, he may stick one in the job centre, someone may just like the sound of it. And go for it.

8weekly

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:30 am »
guys Im after a look at one. not a discussion on the morality of them or not.. Anyone got one I can have a look at?
Fair enough mate. I've just had a new design put on my van. Looks just like yours. I'm going to post some pictures of it. I'm not looking for a debate on the morality/legality. I just want people's opinions on the look.  ;)

PoleKing

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 06:34:31 pm »

Sorry Jim

Dean Taberner

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
Its not until you get taken to an employment tribunal that you realise the benefit of a zero hour contract. Decent staff have nothing to fear and their jobs will always be safe, they will always have holiday pay, they will always earn a decent wage. The zero hour contract is there to protect the employer, I personally don't have my staff on one but any new staff who I may take on in the future will be having one.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:54:14 pm »
Jim, if you're in the FSB there'll almost certainly be one on their document site.

Vin

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:54:51 pm »
Its not until you get taken to an employment tribunal that you realise the benefit of a zero hour contract. Decent staff have nothing to fear and their jobs will always be safe, they will always have holiday pay, they will always earn a decent wage. The zero hour contract is there to protect the employer, I personally don't have my staff on one but any new staff who I may take on in the future will be having one.
How does a zero hour contract protect the employer from being taken to an employment tribunal?

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 08:06:57 pm »

So what your saying is its wrong to have anything that's protects the employee but its alright to have something
that protects the employer.
I have a few mates who work for a major supermarket on nights all with one hour contracts.
They go in on the first night knowing that the next night only two thirds of them will be needed.
So they don't take any of the allocated breaks work flat out and kiss the managers backside with the hope of
getting another night and so on. Cap in hand comes to mind.
One guy was let go, he couldn't come in because his kid had went into hospital.
There's not one of them who wouldn't spit in the managers face and walk out if they had the choice.
That's the reality of most zero hour contracts.

SeanK

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »
How does a zero hour contract protect the employer from being taken to an employment tribunal?

Will give you an example. Lets say your employer is treating you unfairly and you make a complaint.
What your employer will then do is back off for a few months, just enough time to not make it obvious and tell you
your services are no longer needed.

Neil Jones

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »
I've got two I can send you if needed.
Let me know your email.
Personally don't see the problem with them. Why shouldn't we be able to protect ourselves, I've been screwed one to many times now and as someone said if you're are a good employee of which I have a few then you will always have work and be treated correctly.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »

So what your saying is its wrong to have anything that's protects the employee but its alright to have something
I have a few mates who work for a major supermarket on nights all with one hour contracts.
They go in on the first night knowing that the next night only two thirds of them will be needed.
So they don't take any of the allocated breaks work flat out and kiss the managers backside with the hope of
There's not one of them who wouldn't spit in the managers face and walk out if they had the choice.

I'm not saying that its wrong mate no,

What I'm saying is that in my experience its best to protect yourself, anybody who works for me I will treat fairly, there's no need for them to kiss my backside to keep their jobs, if they're good I want them to work for me, pay them hol pay, loads of overtime etc.

There is an uncurable illness that effects some people though, mainly window cleaner. Its called feetunderthetableitas. Its terminal, and usually shows after anything between 3 months and 18months of employment. The symptoms are that a guy who once once one of the best lads you've got almost overnight turns into somebody who is taking their job for granted and turns into a complete arse. Those who employ will know what I mean.

I zero hour contract would help to protect against this.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 06:51:06 am »

I'm not saying that its wrong mate no,

What I'm saying is that in my experience its best to protect yourself, anybody who works for me I will treat fairly, there's no need for them to kiss my backside to keep their jobs, if they're good I want them to work for me, pay them hol pay, loads of overtime etc.

There is an uncurable illness that effects some people though, mainly window cleaner. Its called feetunderthetableitas. Its terminal, and usually shows after anything between 3 months and 18months of employment. The symptoms are that a guy who once once one of the best lads you've got almost overnight turns into somebody who is taking their job for granted and turns into a complete arse. Those who employ will know what I mean.

I zero hour contract would help to protect against this.
Stupidity too because those employees have no protection or right to an employment tribunal until they have worked for you two years. A zero hour contract won't change that.

SeanK

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 08:46:54 am »
8weekly, I don't think that's the case anymore I think you have full rights after 26 weeks.
Dean, I understand where your coming from have seen that happen myself and it can be a nightmare
for the employer to get rid.

8weekly

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 08:54:04 am »
8weekly, I don't think that's the case anymore I think you have full rights after 26 weeks.
Dean, I understand where your coming from have seen that happen myself and it can be a nightmare

No, unfair dismissal is two years. That is the key one. Plus the person taking someone to a tribunal has to pay fees of £1,200 or so. That stops the chancers.

SeanK

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:25 am »

No, unfair dismissal is two years. That is the key one. Plus the person taking someone to a tribunal has to pay fees of £1,200 or so. That stops the chancers.

My mistake it used to be one year but I thought they had reduced it to 6months but its went the other way 2 years.
Should have known that the Torries wouldn't do anything that would improve conditions for the worker.
Its still one year in Northern Ireland.