giftedk

3 story little squares
« on: August 27, 2005, 02:54:07 pm »
Wanted to know if anyone has got any of these 3 story, little sq, townhouses?
I have several and can not stand them they take ages to do are under priced, and have about 165 little squares all for £15. ive not cleaned them for 3 and a half months and am thinking of dropping them completly. just wanted to know if any of you clean these, what price, and would i be able to use my wfp on them as all the plastic cross struts fall off.

Moderator David@stives

Re: 3 story little squares
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 02:58:06 pm »
put the prices up by at least a fiver.if they wont accept drop em

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 06:16:39 pm »
GiftedK , i have the same prob as you , with the little squares , but mine are only normal houses , since gettin wfp i too am a little reluctant to do them , mine are also underpriced , i dont know what to do either !
The trouble is i have 14 out of the 18 in the street , on ladders it took all day to do the lot , it wasnt a bad little take for the day , thats why i dont want to drop mine , as im sure with the pole they can be done faster , my only concern is what is the finish like after wfp ? , i have visions of dirty runs all over the place , does anybody else do this type , if so what are the results like  ?

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

matt

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:37:28 pm »
ive been doing mine with WFP since DEC last year

i do a fair few houses and only 1 of the bars have fallen off

try it, you got nothing to lose

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 08:34:51 pm »
Real Georgian (little squares) windows, painted properly, no loose putty - wfp is brilliant and just as fast as a normal upvc window to clean.

Tatty, faded paint, loose putty, loose fitting - traditional way only. (The pure water can draw small amounts of paint and cause light coloured runs and the brush will loosen the putty further.)

Plastic georgian that is stuck on the outside - usually ok, BUT.... sometimes the water seeps behind, through the glue and dribbles down - on balance don't risk it cuz if the bars start falling off after 3/4 cleans you'll get the blame!

Of the dozen or so georgian windowed houses I do, I use the pole on ten and the other two are real 200 yr old Georgian which I do traditionally because they are fragile and loose fitting.

Hope that helps.
It's a game of three halves!

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 08:47:25 pm »
Hi giftedk,

Dont know if it helps but I have a newish housing estate which all have georgian, wooden windows to the front of the properties.  I was worried too but did them by hand for 2 cleans prior to using my wfp.  These 2 cleans were done with pure water and no detergent.  It seems to me that this helped break down the film prior to using the wfp properly.  I used a spray bottle to put the water on and just bladed it off.

Just done the 3rd wfp clean (no blading) and have had only one complaint and that was a drip from upstairs to downstairs.

Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:58:41 pm »
This the way to do them ,notice the crazy guy at the back

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 12:16:57 am »
That's the spirit!

Concrete's only hard if you land on it.

daniel b

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 10:45:08 am »
Looks like he is gonna need to get on near the last run to reach the top how lovely,or take a small pole up with him even better,i wonder what a H&S officer would say these days.
Daniel
DSB Cleaning Services,Wrexham,N.Wales.
NFMWGC NO.9442,
Safe contractor approved.
www.dsbcleaningservices.co.uk

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 01:26:58 am »
nothing if he is working for himself

daniel b

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 04:10:37 pm »
David @ st ives
You can get stoped by any H&S officer,we got stopped a couple of months back for not footing ladders,he was from our local council.
NFMWGC NO.9442,

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 04:29:45 pm »
daniel

from the way i see it .i dont disbelieve you .if you work on your own and are not a threat to the safety of the public your ok . i think if the area was cordened off it would be ok,?
that is how i think it is anyway i could be wrong .

i think we need a definitive answer from the health and safety.
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

daniel b

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 04:36:30 pm »
David
I was thinkin for his own safety,at that height you should defo be footed, these days he would be told to get down immediatly,without bein footed that is.

Daniel
NFMWGC NO.9442,

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 04:51:37 pm »
i would not go past the 1st floor ,too scared .i cant deal with heights too well.   ;D

giftedk

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 04:55:43 pm »
I was using the wfp the other day and two window cleaners pulled up,  and asked if they could watch saying they need to get one.  They told me that they have been pulled up twice lately by health and safety about the ladder ban.  They was told that anything above 10 feet is not allowed and soon health and safety will be going round giving out fines.

daniel b

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 05:02:44 pm »
we do a lot of work for councils etc a lot of 3 story winders,if they caught us up there on a ladder im certain we would be in for a good talkin too prob might even loose the contract, so poles every time for us except for ground floor that is im not wasting my water
NFMWGC NO.9442,

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 05:04:18 pm »
i dont think ladders are actually banned and will not be in the near future at least read the ladders and health and safety thread

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10007.0

it makes good reading  ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 05:08:36 pm »
i do some work for the council and have never been questioned about ladders or insurance or health and safety,method statements etc.

shocking really ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 07:42:04 pm »
Bl!!dy WFP get every where...
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 07:45:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
excellent love it
that wfp has been around a long time then.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 07:50:43 pm »
Ya came complete with a built in Tardis..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

steve k

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 08:42:20 pm »
The place in photo is Amsterdam. I was there about 2 months ago and one morning watched a cleaner pitching his ladder on a sloping road to about 30 feet. He then whipped up there and started cleaning these big restaurant windows. I wish I had taken a photo for you all...he was stretching out to reach the corners with a cloth on the corner of his squeegee. The ladder had wheels at the head and was rattling about all over the wall he was pitched onto. He was on his own with no safety device at all.
They all have the same wooden ladders out there...open top with splayed feet.
Sometimes when I have been up a ladder and up at top, it seems really high but when I have got down and looked up, the height doesn`t seem so great, but this fella in Amsterdam WAS high...frightening!!