PAUL CORRO

DAFT QUESTION??
« on: August 22, 2005, 06:50:09 pm »
HIYA,
IM THINKING OF STARTING A WINDOW CLEANING ROUND AS IT SOUNDS A LOT EASIER THAN MY CURRENT BACK BREAKING JOB!!
MIGHT SOUND LIKE A DAFT QUESTION BUT WHERE DO YOU GET THE CONSTANT SUPPLY OF HOT WATER FROM?? DO YOU ASK EACH CUSTOMER?? DO THEY GET ANNOYED??
ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED...
THANKS PAUL  ??? ??? 

Paul Coleman

Re: DAFT QUESTION??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:56:35 pm »
HIYA,
IM THINKING OF STARTING A WINDOW CLEANING ROUND AS IT SOUNDS A LOT EASIER THAN MY CURRENT BACK BREAKING JOB!!
MIGHT SOUND LIKE A DAFT QUESTION BUT WHERE DO YOU GET THE CONSTANT SUPPLY OF HOT WATER FROM?? DO YOU ASK EACH CUSTOMER?? DO THEY GET ANNOYED??
ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED...
THANKS PAUL  ??? ??? 

The only daft question is the one you DON'T ask.
I work the traditional way.  I find that half a bucket of water or so can last me all day (using the large oblong buckets).  You won't need to keep changing it.  You won't need it to be hot.  Take a look through the archives on this forum.  Plenty of valuable info for you.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 08:32:19 pm »

Hi Paul,

What is your current back-breaking job?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:00:01 pm »
window cleaning easy dont make me laugh .
tell me that in 12 months  :o :o :o :o :o

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:40:47 pm »
"Constant supply of hot water.."?  - ahh so young, so innocent - I like my applicator to marinate for a couple of days in a sealed bucket of cold water with a few drops of gg3
when you lift the lid, take a long deep breath...heaven; only comparable with bringing out a smoked ham for the first time
Welcome to the forum Paul ;)

brett walker

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 10:40:48 pm »

Hi Paul,

i take hot water with me first thing and then use outside taps or ask the occasional customer for hot water.

regasrds

Brett.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 10:52:56 pm »

Hi Paul,

i take hot water with me first thing and then use outside taps or ask the occasional customer for hot water.

regasrds

Brett.

What's the difference between hot and cold?  We'll make one bucket of water (a large unger one) last a full day by  gently squeezing the water from our applicators back into the bucket, just by running our hands down it.

Then we tip the water that's run into our 'bucket in a belt' back into the bucket too.  Okay, we're not on a meter, but it saves re-filling the bucket.

As long as it's wet... who cares whether the water is warm, cold, clean or dirty.

It still cleans the windows!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:54:31 pm »
window cleaning easy dont make me laugh .
tell me that in 12 months  :o :o :o :o :o
12 days even....

As you progress it gets harder too, as you set higher and higher goals.

Not trying to put you off or anything. :-X

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 10:59:36 pm »
What's the difference between hot and cold?  We'll make one bucket of water (a large unger one) last a full day by  gently squeezing the water from our applicators back into the bucket, just by running our hands down it.

Then we tip the water that's run into our 'bucket in a belt' back into the bucket too.  Okay, we're not on a meter, but it saves re-filling the bucket.
Blimey! I'm not that scrimping with my water.
Perhaps you soak windows with more water than me.

They'll be pleased with you in a hosepipe ban. ;D

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:23:07 am »
In the winter I always liked to start out with a bucket of hot water, maybe even a 2nd or third bucket through the day too off customers as well....
The reason? Just something to warm my hands up in on a really cold day.

I wear the gloves that as far as I know, only Omnipole supply, these are great in the winter.
But I'm also WFP now :-\
I still do a lot of trad work, but even in the coldest depths of winter my water is now always cold. Not using it for long enough periods to worry about hot water.

regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

s.hughes

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 08:36:10 am »
No way would I use hot water on a winters day. it dosnt do your hands any good and on them really cold days the windows will just ice up.
I start off in the morning with warm water from home and then durring the day I just fill up if I need to.

Steveyboy

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 12:51:18 pm »
No way would I use hot water on a winters day. it dosnt do your hands any good and on them really cold days the windows will just ice up.

Steveyboy

You must live in a place where the laws of physiscs are very strange ???
On really cold days hot water ice's up ???

The only time I get ice on glass is usually on single glazed windows with little heating in. Here its a case of Very hot water and get it off again as quick as possible.

I also find a good pair of neoprene gloves useful also. I was always against them because i felt you lost some of the touch for detailing. I much prefer warmer hands now though ;D

Lee

telboy

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 02:33:16 pm »
PAUL

YOUR AVING A LARF >:( >:( >:(

TELBOY ;)

ANGEL C/S

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 04:36:11 pm »
Yes, that's perfectly right actually.
Hot water freezes quicker than cold water. Don't ask me why.

Your laws of physics are strange if it doesn't.

baldeagle

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 05:56:34 pm »
When water is heated, its density is lowered; ergo, it freezes sooner.

Conversely, when you mix water with something, salt, for instance, because it's now denser, its freezing point is raised.

Baldeagle in Staffordshire,
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 06:00:39 pm »
and if you freeze salted water you get ultra pure crystals forming which when picked and thawed will be 100% deionized.
 ;)

brett walker

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 06:31:24 pm »

Hi Paul,

regasrds

Brett.

As long as it's wet... who cares whether the water is warm, cold, clean or dirty.

Hot cold , dirty clean !  whos cares as long as the moneys there

The difference is when i start at 8am most people are going out to work if potential customers see you using clean hot water it looks professional

I think the water needs changing throughout the day because of washing your scrims, microfibre cloths out etc.

I could not get away with using one dirty bucket a day, neither would i want to !

My customers like to see me changing it now and again

I find the big unger buckets awkward and heavy to carry about but on the other hand they have their uses

Over the years i have picked up more work because new customers say their previous window cleaner never changed his water, having said that some people expect you to use hot water all day or even ask where do you get your water from?

At the end of the day i always make sure ive done a professional job

brett

S Page

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 09:54:55 pm »
I thought you were joking about only using one bucket of water a day. The windows you are cleaning must already be pretty clean to make one bucket last that long.

I usually manage to get one bucket (approx 5 litres) of water to last me around an hour's worth of cleaning and then I change it. Sometimes more often if the windows are more dirty.

I have an insulated box in the back of the car containing nine 5 litre bottles that I fill with hot water at the start of the day. Don't usually use them all but occaisionally it's handy to have a few spares just in case.

New customers seem suprised and pleased if they ask 'do I need water?' and I tell them that I carry everything I need, water included.

baldeagle

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 10:03:11 pm »
Hot water?

Never use the stuff, I use cold water with SYR liquid.

I tell a small lie there, I do carry a small amount of hot water, in a flask, the flask lives in a cardboard box in the front of the van, along with the Nescafe, sugar, milk, cups and spoons.

Baldeagle

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 10:05:44 pm »

brett

So do we, mate.  As long as we leave clean windows, who cares what's in our bucket?  I could do 10 star-jumps, burpees and press-ups in-between each window; and change my water every other window.

But at the end of the day, a clean window is a clean window and we do it in the most ergonomically possible manner.  If there's no need to change your water, why do it for bull-poo purposes?

I will admit that after doing an extremely filthy 'new clean', changing your water makes sense, but not for my normal monthly round; no.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 10:06:54 pm »
Hey, not bad for a 'daft question'.  Over 20 replies and 215 views.

baldeagle

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 10:16:06 pm »
S p o o n s?

I wrote s-p-o-o-n-s, what's going on?

Baldeagle

Rick

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:52 pm »
well i must admit the replys here suprised me, on a normal day 8:30 - 3:00 doing my usual monthly rounds i will get through about 4 buckets of hot water, ad that up over the month and it adds up to quite a lot of watter stops, and i would say 60% of the customers who regularly give me clean water demand it!, mostly the oldens but i would have my arms chopped off if i didnt knock for hot water first..

not saying mine is the right way just the way the round ended up working....
"excuse me..... are you a window cleaner?"
"no love im a airline pilot"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
dont you just love this job?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 10:39:33 pm »

Hi Paul,

regasrds

Brett.

Hot cold , dirty clean !  whos cares as long as the moneys there

The difference is when i start at 8am most people are going out to work if potential customers see you using clean hot water it looks professional

I think the water needs changing throughout the day because of washing your scrims, microfibre cloths out etc.

I could not get away with using one dirty bucket a day, neither would i want to !

My customers like to see me changing it now and again

I find the big unger buckets awkward and heavy to carry about but on the other hand they have their uses

Over the years i have picked up more work because new customers say their previous window cleaner never changed his water, having said that some people expect you to use hot water all day or even ask where do you get your water from?

brett

I guess it depends on the way you work .  If I need to do leaded or georgian work then the scrim is making contact with the glass a lot so changing the water is a good idea occasionally.  However, if I'm doing plain glass work all day long (i.e. applicator and squeegee only) then the water lasts all day no problem.  I don't even soak the applicator.  Just a dab into the water is fine and maybe mix the soap and water together on the sleeve with the fingers.  On the very cold days, I just dab the applicator in (after an occasional squirt of detergent onto the sleeve) and agitate it a bit so that I don't need to spread the detergent with my fingers.  I can work all day like that and the water stays pretty much OK.  If I need a damp scrim, I just dab it onto the applicator (which I keep in a BOAB).  The scrim doesn't need to go anywhere near the water in the main bucket.  Even if the water does become dirty, if you are taking it off with a squeegee, it still cleans the windows just fine.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 10:40:37 pm »
Yes, that's perfectly right actually.
Hot water freezes quicker than cold water. Don't ask me why.

Your laws of physics are strange if it doesn't.

On the VERY cold days, I put screenwash in the water to stop it freezing on the glass.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 10:47:47 pm »
well i must admit the replys here suprised me, on a normal day 8:30 - 3:00 doing my usual monthly rounds i will get through about 4 buckets of hot water, ad that up over the month and it adds up to quite a lot of watter stops, and i would say 60% of the customers who regularly give me clean water demand it!, mostly the oldens but i would have my arms chopped off if i didnt knock for hot water first..

You are referring to 5 litres in a bucket though.  I tend to put more in.  Also, I don't soak the applicator - merely dab it.  I find that by putting it on as dry as I can reasonably get away with, there's less chance of needing to do detailing.  I've been cleaning since '91 and I only started working this way about 2-3 months ago thanks to someone on this forum showing me.  It works a treat and is much more efficient than the way I used to work.  Need to dab the applicator in more on hot days of course.

Rick

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 11:02:00 pm »

You are referring to 5 litres in a bucket though.  I tend to put more in.  Also, I don't soak the applicator - merely dab it.  I find that by putting it on as dry as I can reasonably get away with, there's less chance of needing to do detailing.  I've been cleaning since '91 and I only started working this way about 2-3 months ago thanks to someone on this forum showing me.  It works a treat and is much more efficient than the way I used to work.  Need to dab the applicator in more on hot days of course.

hhhhmmm ill give that a go im up for anything that decreases the work load :D tnx
"excuse me..... are you a window cleaner?"
"no love im a airline pilot"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
dont you just love this job?

brett walker

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 11:03:45 pm »

brett

So do we, mate.  As long as we leave clean windows, who cares what's in our bucket?  I could do 10 star-jumps, burpees and press-ups in-between each window; and change my water every other window.

But at the end of the day, a clean window is a clean window and we do it in the most ergonomically possible manner.  If there's no need to change your water, why do it for bull-poo purposes?

I will admit that after doing an extremely filthy 'new clean', changing your water makes sense, but not for my normal monthly round; no.

Was not implying you were'nt doing a good job

After 14yrs ive got my own way and so has everone else

You are correct as long as we leave clean windows customers are happy -  10 star jumps, burpees and press-ups no wonder you dont get time to change your water !  ;D

Please could you explain do you think my way is bull-poo purposes  ???

I suppose its what your customer is used to, ive got some very fussy customers get set in their ways but im going to give your way a go i'll see how i get on

Normally its a debate about pure water, we are having a debate about dirty water

I dont think this subject is a daft question after 20 0dd replies.