Sir Squeaky

Dusty Scrims
« on: August 19, 2005, 05:42:35 pm »
Anyone got any good ways of washing scrims so that when they're dried they aren't dusty?
I've got a brand new washing machine, so it's not that.

Do you use softener or not?
Dry in tumbler or not?

It's driving me up the wall, especially in the sun. >:(

Moderator David@stives

Re: Dusty Scrims
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 06:02:04 pm »
i wash mine in the washer ,do not add any soap as there will already be enough soap already in the scrim .if they are not rinsed enough there will be dried soap residue in the cloth which is dusty also wash them on a cool wash (you will see what i mean if you select a hot wash ,as fairy and hot water =a kiitchen full of bubbles.
as the scrim ages it becomes more stable ,i wrote on another thread about certain conditions in the weather and angles of the sun etc. i hope this helps, it happens to us all ,so dont worry to much

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10103.0

smears and dry blade lines post

dave

S.C.S

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 06:21:23 pm »
I normally wash mine with no power as theres enough soap in them and just let them dry in the sun or on the heater in winter dont put in dryer as thats where the dust comes from

HOPE this helps

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 06:50:34 pm »
well where does the dust come from in the first place. is there a little man in there chucking the dust at the scrim ??? ??? ???.they still get agood airing in the dryer they just shrink down faster and get thinner

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 06:52:14 pm »
I normally wash mine with no power as theres enough soap in them and just let them dry in the sun or on the heater in winter dont put in dryer as thats where the dust comes from
Cheers guys, I think it may be the dryer causing the problem.

If anyone else knows any different please tell!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 06:57:25 pm »
NO the dryer is not causing the problem .The quality of scrim is not as good as it used to be .there are a few threads on here about scrim at the moment .just take time out to read through them .
Is no scrim experts going to back me up here.

dave

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 10:36:32 pm »
I always get prewashed scrim save's having to boil them.
Then at the end of the week just chuck in the washer machine with a persil tablet no softner.
Then put on the washing line to dry.
No problem with dust must be dodgy scrim.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 10:42:29 pm »
Yeah lot of rubbish scrim these days.
get top quality.  no substitute.
don't wash with anything else.
If mine get 'dusty' I hand wash them in warm water with nothing on!!! ;D
keep rinsing until no suds left.  Iron them, great.
I'd wear them to a wedding.....
Even a funeral........
maybe my own ;D ;D >:(

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 03:30:22 pm »
I have noticed the same thing with my scrims...I stood there with finger on chin for a while then the bulb flashed above my head...
When I let them dry naturally they seem to get dustier than when I chuck them in the tumble dryer...Dryers seem to get dust hairs etc off the clothes thats why the filters have to be changed each time.
Any way thats what I do...

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 03:33:30 pm »
i personally prefer them on the line .they feel so much more crisp and fresh

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 03:35:14 pm »

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 04:20:30 pm »
Yet another advantage that a good microfibre has over scrim...less dusty!!

Don't be so tight Roger, by a large Unger microfibre and give it a try...it may surprise you!
And if you don't like, well, it's only a tenner at most!!

regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 04:41:31 pm »
microfibre are good but still have there faults especially when dry on dry windows they can still leave fibre marks given certain conditions .
micro-fibre  v  scrim .not much in it .i personally am happy with scrim and would not change.i bought 5 microfibre cloths a few years back .so i have tried them ,i just find scrim more durable and are good for every thing and stay drier longer in intensive use.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 04:43:22 pm »
when buying scrim make sure it is grade `a` and is hemmed

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 04:49:41 pm »
talking about scrim .can anyone remember best white scrim.i have not seen it for about 6 years .and what advantage if any did it have over ordinary scrim

dai

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 09:24:05 pm »
I have never seen white scrim for sale. In olden days when chamoise and scrim was all we had you would be washing your scrim several times a day in clean water, no soap. Mind you in those days soap powder wasn't what it is today either. The only time that scrim was washed in detergent was for the first wash, my bosses mrs used to hand wash them in Dreft after they had been boiled. The scrim never saw soap again. With the constant washing the srim became whiter, an old one would be nearly white.
Now to get back to dusty scrims, A new scim will allways fluff up as we used to call it when it became dry. We never used dry scrim, it was always damp.
I don't know if it's because we have very low TDS tap water, but, after we chamoised the glass we used the damp scrim, this would leave a thin film of water on the glass but it dried perfectly clean.
I use dry scim now for detailing, but when polishing leads or other handwork, DAMP EVERY TIME. use one of those plastic spray guns with unsoaped water to dampen them. Make a pad out of your scrim and keep changing  the part that is in contact with the glass. this keeps it clean longer. Dai

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 09:31:02 pm »
quite well put .
yes the best white was a lot more expensive and was a lot harier at first use .it was pure brilliant white when bought ,it must have been for posh window cleaners ,i hope some one else comes forward here to help me out .as i may look stupid otherwise.other people must of used it as there was rolls and rolls of it in moxam,s shop in farnworth ,bolton