Michael D

New staff
« on: August 18, 2005, 08:04:56 pm »
Hi All
        I`ve had a lot of new work come in over the last 2weeks
and at last i`ve relised that it`s to much for myself. So a new guy has been employed part-time . First time as boss for me.  i`m paying £6.00 p/h to start with.
         Any advice on what to watch out for and any problems that i may come across. I would be greatfull for.
            Many Thanks

Moderator David@stives

Re: New staff
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 08:08:50 pm »
keep them to part time in the mornings ,so at least if there is bad weather you do not have to worrry to much as the work can be made up later

dave

alansavvi

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:09:23 pm »
just done the same myself, you will need to register with inland revenue as an employer, also you will need employers liability insurance, that wont be cheap! Also you will need to draw up a contract, contact ACAS they will send you loads of info about emplyer employee relationships.

Dont forget all that health and safety training.

Bet you wish you sub contracted!

dai

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:48:13 pm »
I bet there are loads of guys on this forum that have been there and done that.
The problem I found was I was no longer my own boss.
I don't have to take someone home because it's 5 oclock and I can finish when I want to. Has anyone worked out how much an employee has to earn for you per hour before you turn a profit on him? With statuary and annual hols to pay for, and of course when your rained off. All the extra paper work involved too.
If you are sure he can earn £12 an hour for you, you may break even. Good luck.
DAI

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:54:14 pm »
£12 hour should be quite easy even if they are slow.
dont know where you get£12 from ,cleaning firms contract out at about £12
and pay about £6 and they make it work

dave

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:04:23 pm »
you're spot on Dai.
£12 ph you might break even!

£15 ph things start making sense.
for some unknown reason cleaning is price fixed less than W/cleaning

Pj

S.C.S

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 11:30:22 pm »
I got a guy who works for me he went to tax man as self employed himself and he is contracted to me i pay him £250.00 a week 5 days 9 till 4 and on average he earns £450.00 to £500.00 so i earn over the 250 for doin nothing
hope this helps.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 11:35:18 pm »
i had sub contractors but they  have to have so many weeks off else inland revenue want to know why they arent employed and you dont want to go down that road

poleman

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 12:03:08 am »
subys are a big pain in the ass, WHY! you give them work and they dont care as it is not there work and there work comes first, in the end lost work from subys, we now go in house and they do what you say and when you wont it do and a good job, yes it can be a pain with the paper work but like with any business do what you think is best for your business

S.C.S

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 02:12:57 am »
to be fair the lad who works for me as done it now for just over 12 month and ive only ever had 1 complaint and that was when he first started.
No troubles my end...