AuRavelling79

Happy to say no
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:13:11 pm »
It was blistering down here in North Somerset this afternoon!

I've got one house which is the boss of one of my commercials and his next door neighbour in a bungalow - lovely folk. (But a bit out of the way of my other stuff.)

The boss insists on paying the going rate and his elderly neighbour is a model railway enthusiast who is still knocking out exhibition standard model locomotives at age 83, drives a cabriolet and is a pleasure to work for. (Brings out ice-cold drinks in the summer and a tot of brandy in the winter.)

Old dear from across the way (you know the type - W.I./indomitable headmistress type) with wrist in a sling asks me to give her a price.

"I haven't seen my window cleaner for months" she says. (First alarm bell ignored by yours truly.)

"Perhaps you could just do the upstairs" (Second alarm bell falls on my deaf ears.)

I toddle off down the road with trolley and pole, knock on door and cheerily say "Can I have a look around and give you a figure?"

Mentally note that two windows above garage can only be got to by ladder and one on the side will need brush-head angle adjustment of the pole.

Think.... Detached.... modern... no bays....bit manky  £20 first time/one off and £15 thereafter. Think of poor dear with bandaged wrist and hear myself saying "£15 for the whole house if I do it now." (I'm so Weak! So Weak! I don't need the job anyway. Have I run mad in the summer heat?)

It's hot just standing there and she has the temerity to say "Oh.. I think that's rather steep! My last cleaner didn't charge that much!"

Supressing the desire welling up inside me to retort with "Is it beginning to crystalise in your mind why you haven't seen him for months on end?" I simply say "OK that's fine! Bye now!" Give a cheerful wave and with trolley in tow leave her speechless as I go home for an early finish and see if my new pole has arrived from Peter Fogwill. It has! Hooray!

Who needs 'em eh? Tosh.

It's a game of three halves!

Re: Happy to say no
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:49:38 pm »
Freefallin' ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:13:06 pm »
We had another today.  I cleaned a house last month and it was utterly filthy.  We did a good job.

So we turned up to do it this month and there's a note saying:

'Attention Window Cleaner

Please do me every other month'.

Now this lady had been given my card and we agreed a monthly price.  So I was fuming.  I knocked the door and her husband appeared.

He was a big bloke, and my missis had started cleaning the house next door; but watching us.  I must admit I was cross and not very tactful. 

He said he hadn't had a window cleaner for 12 years and his wife shouldn't have got one without him saying first, then he aggresively told me to 'stop giving him attitude' .

I saw red and I'm ashamed to say I nearly did a 'Gazza' (Sorry Gazza).  I slung my ladders with a loud crash onto his lawn, stepped closer to him and gave him a peice of my mind, along the lines of, 'Isn't your missis allowed to think for herself?  Did you not have the decency to phone me?  I know you didn't have a window cleaner for 12 years - I flipping cleaned them last month. 

He obviously saw I was raging mad Geordie, so apologised in the end, saying 'Sorry you feel that way' and blamed his wife.

It really spoilt my day.  Wor Lass gave me a telling off too for acting like a yob and throwing the ladders down.  But in my defence, he was a lot bigger than me, so I had to act a little 'crazy' to give me the edge.

But, what makes me cross is, I lay out my stall and they ask to purchase.  Then when they agree; the blighters try and change the terms and conditions on you.

AAAArrrrggggg - The next one had better watch out!!!!!

baldeagle

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:26:59 pm »
Just turn up next month as if nothing had happened.
Set up you ladders and soap the first window.
Then the second.
Then the third, and so on.
When you have them all soaped, and ready for the squeegee..........go home!!

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:09 pm »
We always like to read stories from nice calm moderators setting a fine example to others. ;D

A common thing, the husband taking over (except in my house).

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:36:22 pm »
Just turn up next month as if nothing had happened.
Set up you ladders and soap the first window.
Then the second.
Then the third, and so on.
When you have them all soaped, and ready for the squeegee..........go home!!

Baldeagle in Staffordshire

I'd be frightened the husband would kick me off them; though I have been daydreaming of worse revenge tactics!

I'm thinking of putting out a 'newsletter' (the carpet cleaning lot do this) telling exsisting customers what my terms and conditions are, amongst other things; and doing what Roy Harding gives to new customers.  He (Roy) gives each customer a letter stating out his terms and conditions of contract which covers everything from frequency, to access issues to kids playing when he's cleaning.

'Briefing' (a term used in the army that normally means a one-way conversation) a new customer on your terms and conditions may sound a little over-the-top.  But getting them to read your 'well thought out and well written' terms may sound more professional, less harsh, but is good, clear communication.

There should be no doubt that leaving a 'yellow stickie' for the window cleaner saying 'not this month, mate' is bang out of order.

dai

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:10:59 pm »
Tosh it really gets to me too, but if they change the aggreement so can I.
I had this done to me a few weeks ago by a client [a financial advisor] " Don't bother this month my daughters having a lay in"
I thought OK, I had half a day's work on this estate and it was all under priced. I told every customer that it was no longer financially viable for me to continue at the present price. I said I was only prepared to continue if the price went up 50%. I said I was prepared to do the windows on a bi monthly basis which would result in a 25% reduction in their annual window cleaning bill. To my surprise they all went for it. I was happy with that and have since done it on another estate.
If they want them done every other month let them pay 50% more. Dai

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 09:16:20 pm »
i normally go 50% and still keep them monthly
dave