Neil

Motivation
« on: August 15, 2005, 08:15:11 am »
Every now and then I wake up and think "I can’t be bothered today" Although I get up and go to work, it’s a real struggle to get through the day and earn proper money. I find that on days like this I talk to customers more as its a good excuse to have a quick break but by the end of the day I can be as much as 30% down on earnings  :'(
Do any of you guys have times when you really need a kick up the backside to get motivated?
Have you got any tips to help change this negative attitude into a positive one?
This forum is great for advice on how to increase turnover using the right equipment and methods and how to gain more work therefore increase profits, but it occurred to me that there is a lot more involved to running a small business than just the practical stuff.

Neil

Re: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:21:46 am »
Hi Neil

Good one for Monday.  Although I work with others on bigger jobs at times, most of the time i work alone.  Especially since illness stopped me in my tracks couple of years ago - I don't worry about the days i don't feel motivated.  Sometimes turnover is 50% down!!  Enjoy the less-stress day, maybe you need it sometimes.  Didn't really do me any good in the long run, being push, push, push for more.  So now I take my time and on the days I feel good-make the most of them.  I guess that is what works for me. 
Have a good one
Pj

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 08:54:38 am »
Neil,

I know what you mean, mate.  This week is REALLY starting to drag!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:33:09 am »
Every now and then I wake up and think "I can’t be bothered today" Although I get up and go to work, it’s a real struggle to get through the day and earn proper money. I find that on days like this I talk to customers more as its a good excuse to have a quick break but by the end of the day I can be as much as 30% down on earnings  :'(
Do any of you guys have times when you really need a kick up the backside to get motivated?
Have you got any tips to help change this negative attitude into a positive one?
This forum is great for advice on how to increase turnover using the right equipment and methods and how to gain more work therefore increase profits, but it occurred to me that there is a lot more involved to running a small business than just the practical stuff.

Neil

I have had phases like this too.  I feel really quite motivated these days though.  My debt levels are high at the moment so it doesn't take much to motivate me.  I had more problems with motivation when my finances were in better shape.  So, what I suggest is, take out a big loan that you will find very difficult to repay.  That should motivate you  ;D .
My motivation levels have improved since I was shown how to improve my technique and earn more money a while back (cheers Steve - UBA1).  I am only at home at the moment because I'm working under a mile from home and needed the loo  !! .  I have about two hours left today and then no more work till Friday.  I've been so motivated, I've got through the work faster and now have a gap.  So, this afternoon I will be watching the cricket on TV.  Tomorrow I will be visiting a National Trust place with a friend.  Wednesday and Thursday I will be bombing around and dropping at least 1,500 leaflets in good areas.  I badly need the little bit of leisure time coming up.  Yesterday (Sunday) was the first full day I've had off work since July 25th.

Mark Curtis

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 11:33:08 am »
You can't be motivated all the time, especially if you've been doing the job for some time, routine sets in. The first thing you need to do is accept that some days you are not going to do 100% and stop beating yourself up about it otherwise you make the situation worse. This can be a hard thing to do!

Ask yourself is window cleaning what you want to do and what are the things you enjoy about it?

Every job has it's moments, sometimes setting yourself little challenges or goals through the day can spark you up a little.

Do you work with anyone else? Maybe between you you can help each other to motivate.

Failign that Graham G has the right idea!

:o

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 04:11:58 pm »
I'm always rush rush rush, and it does me good to have a slack day here and there. Otherwise I'd never recover.
i motivate myself by rolling up a newspaper and whacking the cat on the bottom as I chase it around the house.
Careful not to dislodge the cork mate!

s.hughes

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 05:04:54 pm »
I found it hard 2day to even get out of bed. I didnt start work until 10.30 and for me on a monday is really bad. I will just make up for it durring the week. I didnt want to go out but I always say that if you get a good monday in then the rest of the week looks after itself.

Steveyboy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 05:32:14 pm »
It's not only motivation, it's self-discipline.  Of course we all have that 'can't be arsed feeling', but you've just got to force yourself out the door and get to work.

Runners often say the hardest part about going for a run is putting your trainers on.

It's the same with window cleaning.  The hardest part of the job is taking the ladders off the car.  Once I've done that, I'm into autopilot and just get stuck in.

Set yourself a good routine and some targets.  Achieve your targets early on in the week/month and slacken off later in the week.

For example; if you plan to earn £2200 per month, divide that up by the number of working days in the month.  Say 22 days.

Therefore you've got to work at least £100 pounds per day.  If you work a couple of days at £150, then you can start slacking off.  If you lose a day to bad weather, then you've got to 'make hay when the sun shines' and work harder.

Try and get ahead of yourself and have a day (or two) off at the end of the month.

wash & go window cleaners

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 06:24:57 pm »
Hi
I know what you mean about motivation. I used to feel like that now and again but then i took a long hard look at the situation.
After spending 14 years in a factory being spoken to like dog pooh, slaving away 60hrs a week. Ok the salary was there at the end of the month.

I bought a window cleaning business which was a going concern in 2003 and haven't looked back since. I just put loads of hours in working hard in the day and paperwork at night, Borrowed money for the van,wfp etc... and just took a risk.

So when i have one of those days when i cant' be bothered i think back to how it used to be i'm no longer lining someone elses pockets so that they can drive round in bmw's I leap out of bed and know that whatever i earn whether a good or bad day at least it's for me and my family. (sorry to go on a bit) :)

gaza

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 06:38:37 pm »
NOT ENOUGH WEEKENDS IN A WEEK ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

The Bear

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 07:36:38 pm »
It's not only motivation, it's self-discipline.  Of course we all have that 'can't be arsed feeling', but you've just got to force yourself out the door and get to work.

Runners often say the hardest part about going for a run is putting your trainers on.

It's the same with window cleaning.  The hardest part of the job is taking the ladders off the car.  Once I've done that, I'm into autopilot and just get stuck in.

Set yourself a good routine and some targets.  Achieve your targets early on in the week/month and slacken off later in the week.

For example; if you plan to earn £2200 per month, divide that up by the number of working days in the month.  Say 22 days.

Therefore you've got to work at least £100 pounds per day.  If you work a couple of days at £150, then you can start slacking off.  If you lose a day to bad weather, then you've got to 'make hay when the sun shines' and work harder.

Try and get ahead of yourself and have a day (or two) off at the end of the month.

Tosh has it right, get up and get started, discipline yourself.

It's about self-control, do you control yourself or what?

Dont wait till 10 am, if you don't feel up to it at 8.30am it's not going to change by 10.30am.

If you let lethergy set in, it will take over.

dai

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 07:43:38 pm »
When I feel I need to crack on but can't be bothered I sometimes use my stopwatch to time each job. I find when I'm timing myself I can really get stuck in. It focuses your thinking. It's when I'm on autopilot that I slow down, I wish I had a quid for every window I'v cleaned twice. You know when you'v done it by the way your applicator slides on the glass, TOO late then though isn't it?Dai

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 10:13:31 pm »
I wish I had a quid for every window I'v cleaned twice. You know when you'v done it by the way your applicator slides on the glass, TOO late then though isn't it?Dai
Yeah, but it doesn't half squeegee nicely second time! :)

I often time jobs too Dai.
Like you say, if you're just autopiloting you do slow down.
I set myself a time on each job before I start, and if I can't do it in time it's too cheap!

Roger.

matt

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 10:46:31 pm »
a good topic this un

Im really finding it hard to get into it, i dont know if i am bored with the work and crave something else or what

i started today at 9 and finished at 2.30, just couldnt be bothered again

matt

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 11:11:41 pm »
i was thinking more along the lines of my last job

carpenter :)

brett walker

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 11:29:56 pm »

GAZA

Gaza do you still take every monday off thinking its a bank holiday?  ;D  ;D
lets all take the day off tomorrow and start back the next day  hopefully that day it will rain and we'll start back the day after i can't get motivated either

Brett  ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 08:07:12 am »

GAZA

Gaza do you still take every monday off thinking its a bank holiday?  ;D  ;D
lets all take the day off tomorrow and start back the next day  hopefully that day it will rain and we'll start back the day after i can't get motivated either

Brett  ::)

Haha.  I've got the day off anyway (ran out of work till Friday).

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 08:13:02 am »
My car's sorted.  Bucket filled.  My work list is printed off and I'm in an area I like. 

I slept brilliantly and feel full of beans.

I can't wait to drop the Little Un off at playscheme and get stuck in to those windows with Wor Lass.

Next week will be a different matter, and the week after that.  No playscheme, so I'm on my own till school starts up.

I always find it difficult to work by myself.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 08:10:19 pm »
I work out how much I have to earn per day to pay my bills (too much) then set myself a start time (8am -8.30am) and get stuck in try to as much as poss before midday sometimes even achieve my target..
then after lunch normaly its a breaze, then when targets hit I'm in spending money realm, do this for four days and I can normally decide how long I want to work on friday ( being gready it tends to be a full day)( the missus love's it when I have a good week she become's the negative cash flow part of my bussiness)

The secret to success is not the least bit new
it's not doing what you like
But liking what you do...
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 08:52:38 am »
Motivation?  No probs...

Oh well, s'pose, I better get dressed, go and do a bit...Naa, think I'll have another cup of tea first....It's all go go go!
 :P