dazmond

Re: what business decisions are you making around Coronavirus?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 04:20:18 pm »
all my work is outside work so ill carry on as normal....most customers pay online so no issues with coming into contact with customers,any that i do that pay by cash ill be wearing disposable gloves and i have hand gel and liquid soap in the van....i also have a card machine if they want to pay by card instead of cash.....

im also persevering with my price rises...only 2 weeks to go then ill be round all my work notifying of the new prices from their next clean in april/may....

i am expecting some skipped cleans esp the childrens nurseries i clean and the childrens homes if they are forced to close in a few weeks.....i have a few domestics that might want to skip a clean or two which will be fine in this current climate....

the extra money coming in from my price rises will easily cover any lost earnings from the expected skipped cleans i reckon.....

also i think my holiday company will cancel my holiday to greece in may and give me a full refund which will be an extra couple of grand back that i wasnt expecting......

........ the best thing to do is to carry on as normal as possible and dont panic......yes its awful for those involved in retail,aviation and tourism and no doubt many other sectors but all we can do is look after number 1 and keep going.......

price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 04:24:51 pm »
Hey everyone.

I'm wondering what business decisions you chaps are making regarding corona?

I have 4 staff and some overheads so loosing a months income if our Gov't go down the route of italy (and dont let us out of our homes to go to work) is a genuine concern for me.

beyond keeping hands clean and minimising (stopping) contact with customers what steps are you taking strategically ?

I am playing with the idea of moving some cleans forward so we get them in before any shut down, so we come 4 weekly normally but could move some of those a week forward..

we ask for 1 months notice on cancelling so hopefully that should mean we get that month even if they decide to miss it.

im also going to get in touch with HMRC and my van lease and ask to defer payment of taxes or fees to help cushion any blow.

what are you doing?

trust me the government cant make you stay in and not go to work.......dont panic!just go to work as normal....the economy cant be allowed to come to a grinding halt....

crack on as usual........ :)

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 04:32:59 pm »
My girlfriends sister lives in Italy...

Apparently the last I heard is ALL shops are shut apart form food stores and pharmacy's.

People are allowed out only to go to work, medical reasons or food shopping.

ill go out when i want...NO ONE is going to stop me unless the government shoot me!still gotta take the dog for a walk! ;D

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »
I think the people making light of the situation are foolish, this  all could prove a disaster for society, when people start dying in numbers the scaremainering will really take off, we "may" be able to carry on but would you want to? 
All of us window cleaners have a higher percentage of "older" customers, who will be terrified of contacting a deadly virus, those that are comercial could see half the jobs go bankrupt, (as there is a huge number of business's not solvent and relying on bank borrowing to survive, when they start folding this whole house of cards starts crashing down,
Coranavirus is a proven killer and there is no vaccination at present!!!  Keep calm and carry on is ok for the moment but if you disregard the worst case scenario you are failing in your responsibilities to yourself,family,business and staff,
It should be prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

Dave Willis

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 05:36:57 pm »
Dazmond, have you even considered you might catch it and be too ill to work anyway?
You, your five star girlfriend and her family?

jo5hm4n

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 05:48:10 pm »
Question.

Assuming we are allowed to carry on working in our line of work (domestic windows) when things get worse in the coming weeks.

For those of you that send text reminders to customers, how do you plan on wording your texts to shall we say minimise the amount of people that may reply with "oh can you leave it because of this virus thing"???.

I am wondering if i should change my text template message and basically try and word it in a way that sort of says - that as a cleaning company we are taking all precautions to keep extra clean and sanitised and for customers who pay cash, please leave it somewhere safe round the back of the property to avoid hand to hand contact with us.  For customers who pay online, we will clean as normal unless absolutely necessary please avoid coming outside to talk to us, for the protection of your family and our family.  Many Thanks

What do you guys think?  Obviously it will be much better worded than that, but can anyone share how you would word it please.  I dont want to do have to do this but i have staff and i cant afford to pay their wages if we start getting cancellations left right and centre.  I need to instill confidence in the customer that us cleaning their windows is going have virtually 0 impact chance of them catching the virus.

Thoughts?????

Stoots

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 06:03:58 pm »
My girlfriends sister lives in Italy...

Apparently the last I heard is ALL shops are shut apart form food stores and pharmacy's.

People are allowed out only to go to work, medical reasons or food shopping.

ill go out when i want...NO ONE is going to stop me unless the government shoot me!still gotta take the dog for a walk! ;D

They actually have armed police in Italy though mate and if caught its a fine.

Im sure that wont happen here as the government know we are a set of twats who wont listen anyway.

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 06:07:32 pm »
Question.

Assuming we are allowed to carry on working in our line of work (domestic windows) when things get worse in the coming weeks.

For those of you that send text reminders to customers, how do you plan on wording your texts to shall we say minimise the amount of people that may reply with "oh can you leave it because of this virus thing"???.

I am wondering if i should change my text template message and basically try and word it in a way that sort of says - that as a cleaning company we are taking all precautions to keep extra clean and sanitised and for customers who pay cash, please leave it somewhere safe round the back of the property to avoid hand to hand contact with us.  For customers who pay online, we will clean as normal unless absolutely necessary please avoid coming outside to talk to us, for the protection of your family and our family.  Many Thanks

What do you guys think?  Obviously it will be much better worded than that, but can anyone share how you would word it please.  I dont want to do have to do this but i have staff and i cant afford to pay their wages if we start getting cancellations left right and centre.  I need to instill confidence in the customer that us cleaning their windows is going have virtually 0 impact chance of them catching the virus.

Thoughts?????

I think if they reply with that the best thing is to say no problem i understand. Hopefully you will keep that customer to do the month after.

For many its not the thought of us spreading the virus its the uncertainty about getting ill, going to work etc that will make people panic and make rash decisions.

At the end of the day window cleaning is a luxury, im sure lots of us have luxuries that would be the first to go if things got tight. Ive got a car that i pay and tax and insurance on every month but i dont need it to survive, i hardly use it, its a luxury that i could do without if i wasnt able to work.

I would just go with it, ride it out and hoepefully pick up where you let off when it blows over, which may be a while yet.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 06:16:11 pm »
Don't panic Mr Mannering...………… carry on cleaning

dd

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 06:27:11 pm »
Hey everyone.

I'm wondering what business decisions you chaps are making regarding corona?

I have 4 staff and some overheads so loosing a months income if our Gov't go down the route of italy (and dont let us out of our homes to go to work) is a genuine concern for me.

beyond keeping hands clean and minimising (stopping) contact with customers what steps are you taking strategically ?

I am playing with the idea of moving some cleans forward so we get them in before any shut down, so we come 4 weekly normally but could move some of those a week forward..

we ask for 1 months notice on cancelling so hopefully that should mean we get that month even if they decide to miss it.

im also going to get in touch with HMRC and my van lease and ask to defer payment of taxes or fees to help cushion any blow.

what are you doing?

trust me the government cant make you stay in and not go to work.......dont panic!just go to work as normal....the economy cant be allowed to come to a grinding halt....

crack on as usual........ :)
Your customers would not be impressed if you turn up to work ignoring a government ban.

I hope it won't come to that. I am just carrying on as normal for now, but it would be foolish to go to work if we are breaking the law.

deeege

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 06:44:55 pm »
I’ll just carry on as normal for as long as we are allowed. I’m a one man band so don’t have the worry about staff wages and sick pay etc.

I have a 6 month fund built up for emergencies so hopefully won’t have any immediate financial difficulties. I think this is really important to have for those who are self employed.

I’ve also got a landscaping project in my garden that I’ll get on with to save me going insane not being able to work but let’s hope it doesn’t get to this stage.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 06:51:47 pm »
Social pressure will be what allows you to work or not.

If the town is a ghost town and you are merrily continuing then you will get stopped by more and more customers.

Before that this will happen ...
First you will get the "panickers" - don't clean my windows while the CV is going round.
Second you will get those whose income is affected by job loss or lay off.
Third will be the busybodies - don't clean old Mrs Lady's she's elderly and vulnerable.
Fourth will be businesses directly affected by CV
Interspersed among these will those who want to skip.

Carry on MacDuff until you can't.
It's a game of three halves!

Mr B shine

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 07:12:20 pm »
I'm going to work  ...

Paul-kent

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 07:23:59 pm »
Carry on as normal if any one says anything just tell them clean windows will reduce the ricks of catching Coronavirus as we use special water  ;D ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 07:24:15 pm »
Im going to work.
I'm.just carrying on as normal and will worry if and when it gets serious.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 07:24:20 pm »
Dazmond, have you even considered you might catch it and be too ill to work anyway?

Of course...then I'll self isolate for a week and get back to work....

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 07:26:34 pm »
Social pressure will be what allows you to work or not.

If the town is a ghost town and you are merrily continuing then you will get stopped by more and more customers.

Before that this will happen ...
First you will get the "panickers" - don't clean my windows while the CV is going round.
Second you will get those whose income is affected by job loss or lay off.
Third will be the busybodies - don't clean old Mrs Lady's she's elderly and vulnerable.
Fourth will be businesses directly affected by CV
Interspersed among these will those who want to skip.

Carry on MacDuff until you can't.

If it gets that bad then I'll take a few weeks off but no chance of me sitting at home all day.......

simon w

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »
How about the gov pay us to use our van mounts to sanitise public places. Shouldn't be to difficult to adapt our systems to spray sanitisers, Gov have pledged millions to be spent on fighting CV so why not. If they want to chuck 200k in my bank account I'll get started on Monday. Just call it an add on  ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
I am just carrying on as normal until the government says stop.  There can’t be a total ban on working, how are people supposed to pay their bills, mortgages , rent ,tax,, vehicle repayments etc? Unless the whole country is going to shut down including HMRC, banks and financial institutions.
Cheers Rich

SB Cleaning

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 08:29:06 pm »

Of course...then I'll self isolate for a week and get back to work....
I have had a proper flu virus before and if corona is anything like I had you aint getting  off the sofa for 2 weeks at least.