self cleaning glass !!
« on: February 16, 2005, 07:00:28 pm »
A customer of mine has cancelled because she is getting "self cleaning glass". Has anyone had experience of it? She often has sparrows nesting which "deposit" on the glass. How can it self clean that?

Roy Harding

Re: self cleaning glass !!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 07:03:40 pm »
Yeh give her your card as she will be needing it :) it dont work but its a good sales pitch :) :)

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 07:07:20 pm »
I have been told it scratches if you try to clean it by normal methods, because of the way it has been treated!?

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 07:09:29 pm »

Roy Harding

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 07:15:06 pm »
My customer has had it some time, and they got so dirty that she took me on to clean them. It does not scratch as I have been cleaning them for a long time without any problems. :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 07:38:39 pm »
My understanding is that it is OK in reducing cleaning bills  to a certain extent for industrial use such as shopping mall roofs etc, but in a domestic situation it's not that hot! Any self respecting housewife won't accept it! (And what about those mucky frames and cills) ;D ;D ;D

Modified to add:- looked at the Pilkington site where under benefits it says that in dry spells you can hose it down or use warm soapy water! Who's gonna do that then?

There's one born every day!

Stuart - when she comes back grovelling explain it costs more to clean self-cleaning glass than normal! ;D LOL - sorry, I'm in a silly mood tonight!
It's a game of three halves!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:37:38 pm »
It will work if it has lots of water washed over it. In practice, it doesnt rain on all the windows enough. Spiders still stick to it and Cardiff Millenium has loads of seagull muck on it.
You wont be able to tell your customer not to have it installed as the salesman will have offered it to her "free"
I think the DG industry and pilks are mis-selling this product to the domestic market.
I have 1 customers that has come back to me and the other has dusty dirty glass but their pride wont let them believe I was right .
If you do get anyone back ask them to sign a disclaimer because it can be scratched.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:46:56 pm »
Thanks Jeff

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 04:29:10 pm »
I clean a building with self cleaning glass wfp every month have done for 12 months no problems whatsover except they wasted 60 grand having the glass installed in the first place as the glass i clean is 186 feet in length and 49 feet high.

Duke

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 04:56:09 pm »
coo, that's big...glad I wasn't one of the fitters....

Justin H

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 05:15:26 pm »
Yup.I had someone cancel due to having "self-cleaning" glass fitted.Called me back after a couple of months.He's still convinced it doesn't get as dirty, but if anything it is worsr & gets a  dusty feel to it. Mugs. ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 07:11:53 pm »
We did the windows of quite a large glass/double glazing showroom today. I asked the bloke about the self cleaning glass etc etc.

He said they sell it if the customer is insistent to buy it but in his experience .... 'it's sh*te' ... and they also have a disclaimer that the fact that the glass is self cleaning is the manufacturers claim and not theirs.

That and the above postings says it all doesn't it.

crowemaster

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 08:07:33 pm »
ive been working in double glazing for 25 years
trust me its a sale gimick  cheers
                                                   shaun

Duke

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 04:42:45 pm »
I've never come across it on my round....does sound a bit 'iffy'.....

Ian Rochester

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 07:46:27 pm »
We have one customer who keeps on telling me about the product she bought from "Betterware" many years ago that you sprayed on the glass and it didn't need cleaning again for 12 months.  Anyone heard of this before?

Duke

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 07:49:28 pm »
NO ? now that I gotta see.....

mark f

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 08:12:06 pm »
I had a customer that was being ripped off by a sales man that told her the treatment was the same as was used on air craft and the space shuttle and keeps the glass clean. I just said that i thought it probably would work, but the problem is a plane goes 400 mph and your house is stationary!!! :o I could imagine muck sliding off a cockpit that has been treated and is moving at speed and is damp but no bird mess is going to slide off your window love ;D (I kept the job and she kept her dosh) :D

Duke

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 08:23:43 pm »
True...at that speed I bet not much sticks...lol

matt

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 11:24:59 pm »
QVC have a spray on at the moment

you spray it on and never have to clean them again
 ::)

rosskesava

Re: self cleaning glass !! New
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 11:45:20 pm »
Hi Matt

In this whole wide world is there anything that needs no maintainence ever?

If what QVC says was true I think every company that sells glass in the whole wide world would be onto it.

Most of what QVC sells is, I think, useless. That's why it needs so much selling. A lot of what they sell is stuff that don't sell any other way and they take a percentage if it sells. That's how they make their money. They're in the risk business and they're prepared to risk air time and sales pitch to sell what I think is cr*p that don't sell elsewhere.

If it was that good, why not advertise it in every newspaper sold?

It's rather like the stickers I see around here stuck on lamp posts saying 'earn upto £3000 part time per month'. If it's that good, then why isn't it being advertised nationally? Why on a lamp post? Why on just QVC?

I hope that is of help.

Cheers

Ross