jaykie

Which Detergent
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:24:18 pm »
Im in a hard water area and was wondering which detergents people use, the ones ive looked at are,

Ettore squeegee off.

Unger Gel

Glass Gleam 4

Or just good old fairy

steven ainger

Re: Which Detergent
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:48 pm »
when i done trad i used gg4 because i live in a very hard water area ( essex ), but now i use gg3 in pure water when i do the odd trad job, gg3/4 isnot everyones cup of tea but i like it

Adam Boss

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:20 pm »
I have used them all and found squeegee off to be the best for slip and finish and price, GG3 and GG4 are expensive and forget Fairy. IMO
Regards
Adam
EST: 1988

trevor perry

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:38:11 pm »
got to agree with asboss squeegee off for me
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »
Sgueegee off for me. No soap residue on the window unlike Fairy and the like.

Spursboy1972

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:41:24 pm »
I also agree. Just oredered more of the Ettore after a trial. Now would not go back even to GG4
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:02:23 pm »
GG4 for me when doing trad, leaves no sticky film behind

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 05:23:37 pm »
squegee off

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
We've tried all sorts of window cleaning detergents, but have always gravitated back towards good old Fairy; the green one.

It's basic I know (but for anyone new to window cleaning), add the Fairy AFTER you fill your bucket with water and don't use too much; just enough for some suds on the glass and some slip.

Leave the bottle of Fairy in the bucket and add a bit more later, if you think you've not put enough in.

It's your t-bar, squeegy, and scrim skills that'll save you time and make life easier; not the detergent (in my humble opinion).

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 06:00:04 pm »
We've tried all sorts of window cleaning detergents, but have always gravitated back towards good old Fairy; the green one.

It's basic I know (but for anyone new to window cleaning), add the Fairy AFTER you fill your bucket with water and don't use too much; just enough for some suds on the glass and some slip.

Leave the bottle of Fairy in the bucket and add a bit more later, if you think you've not put enough in.

It's your t-bar, squeegy, and scrim skills that'll save you time and make life easier; not the detergent (in my humble opinion).

That's true, I just don't like how Fairy makes the windows attract dirt more easily because of what it leaves behind, also I think in my opinion, the windows shine better with squeegee off. And wfp switchover is harder because of the aforementioned sticky film. :)

johnny_h

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:44 pm »
squeegee off for me every time
AUDI VIDE TACE

cybersye

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 07:17:29 pm »
  I just don't like how Fairy makes the windows attract dirt more easily because of what it leaves behind
thats just the kind of marketing tool we need is'nt ? LOL  ;D
(If we want to keep our custies as monthly regulars)

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:30:48 pm »
I've used squeegie off for years but I don't know if its the best because I haven't tried the others.

niceandclean

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:33:11 pm »
Is squeegie off ok with pure water, or does it not make any difference?

aztec

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 07:34:41 pm »
unger liquid and a tiny bit of fairy for suds, best shine ever!!

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 07:40:06 pm »
Is squeegie off ok with pure water, or does it not make any difference?

Very good with pure water. Its all I use now.

Ian W

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 08:00:27 pm »
squeegee off for me. Never used anything else.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 08:04:03 pm »
  I just don't like how Fairy makes the windows attract dirt more easily because of what it leaves behind
I dont mind mine changing to 2 monthly  ;)

cybersye

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:47 pm »
I dont mind mine changing to 2 monthly  ;)
and i would'nt either if i could charge them double! ;D ;D

danny mckim

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:43 pm »
could someone tell me the price of squeegee off

Thanks Danny

brett walker

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 10:10:49 pm »
squeegee off  8)

brett

pjulk

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:14:41 pm »
squeegee off.

Or B&Q brand which is squeegee off rebranded

Darren O

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »
squeegee of find thats the best unger is total crap squeegee of is a bit pricey £4 a litre and about £20 for 5 litre.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 07:14:36 am »
http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=180&SectionID=26

Well worth it, for 10l you only need 15ml or so....lasts for ages.

jaykie

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:20 am »
I think squeegee of it is
Cheers all

Adam Boss

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »
£3.65 + vat for 500ml

£15.25+vat for 5 ltr

These are from window cleaning warehouse and p&p on top.
You don't need a lot just a squirt so lasts ages.
I decant it into a fairy bottle for ease of use.

Regards

Adam
EST: 1988

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 03:36:58 pm »
I like good old fairy, tried gg4 and didn't get on with it.  Agree with all that tosh said.  As for making the window attract dirt, thats great it gets rid of the not today thankyous.  I'd like it if the wfp windows got dirty faster to be honest, going back to clean clean windows doesn't seen challenging.  It does leave a film behind, but the windows look good, however if you are thinking of switching to wfp in the near future then I wouldn't touch it.

Simon.

traps7

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:28:38 pm »
Im with Tosh. Ive tried others but came back to Fairy. I like some suds, just not too many. I've never seen this film that people refer to in fifteen years of cleaning, even in direct sunlight.

adixon

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:52 am »
 For any of my trad work I use a 5 ltr tub of cheap washing up liquid not as thick as fairy £1.80 from my local shop, pour it into a 1 ltr bottle 2/3 and top up with white distilled vinegar works a treat see them windows shine wouldn't use anythingelse now

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 09:54:40 am »
Im with Tosh. Ive tried others but came back to Fairy. I like some suds, just not too many. I've never seen this film that people refer to in fifteen years of cleaning, even in direct sunlight.
you cant see it thats why, but trust me it is there, try this and you will see, get a new applicator fresh water no fairy and wash the window you will find the fairy that you have been using before will still make the suds. I used fairy for donkeys years then changed to gg4 because IMO it is better and leaves windows cleaner for longer meaning less work for us to do.
I cant knock people that use fairy because I did the reason I changed was above I know clean wfp and the window cleaners that leave fairy film when they stop cleaning for what ever reason I have to wash off and can be a nightmare sometimes.

If you are thinking of going to wfp I would for sure change to gg3 or 4 to make life easier in the change over if you are not thinking of it fairy is fine, just does not sound professional IMO if asked what you use in your water.

thats my take on it anyway

Ian

traps7

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 06:52:34 pm »
I tried gg3 or 4. Cant remember which. It was much more expensive and there was no suds whatsoever meaning I'd get runs coming out from the edges and would have to wipe the sides. I didnt add anything else because I'm not into making potions. I ended up giving away something like 4 litres to another cleaner. Personally i thought it was crap and went back to fairy.

jonah

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
good thing about fairy is you can get several different fragrences !  so not only is easier to squeggee off but you can at the same time inhale the luxurious scent of rose garden in summer . ;D

traps7

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 07:22:03 pm »
LOL

jonah

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 07:28:16 pm »
400 children dying every second and we are worrying about washing up liquid !  ::)

birdymiller

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:13 pm »
always used fairy looked at alternatives but they are too pricey compared to the mild green fairy liquid.

Llaaww

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 09:54:17 pm »
Fairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy Fairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairyFairy fairy fairy
if it is dirty it is fair game