trevor povey

working with 2 electric reels
« on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:06 am »
  morning gents just after a bit of advice...looking at investing in 2 electric reels....but not sure on set up

all our domestic work is compact we normally go down one street and clean 20 houses so how we do it is drop a lad off with trolley at bottom of street..then park half way in between the remainder of the other houses and have 2 manual reels working from van mount with doors closed....one goes up the street  ..the other goes back towards the bottom of the street were the trolley lad is..

my question is with having 2 reels fixed into the back of the van ..will the hose reel catch on the back van tyres when the lad reeling out and going back on himself ...anybody any exp or thoughts on the matter ..cheers  trevor

jonboywalton75

Re: working with 2 electric reels
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
  morning gents just after a bit of advice...looking at investing in 2 electric reels....but not sure on set up

all our domestic work is compact we normally go down one street and clean 20 houses so how we do it is drop a lad off with trolley at bottom of street..then park half way in between the remainder of the other houses and have 2 manual reels working from van mount with doors closed....one goes up the street  ..the other goes back towards the bottom of the street were the trolley lad is..

my question is with having 2 reels fixed into the back of the van ..will the hose reel catch on the back van tyres when the lad reeling out and going back on himself ...anybody any exp or thoughts on the matter ..cheers  trevor

I use fixed reel and rollers on van floor and I would have thought it would definitely catch on your tyres

LBWCS

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:07 am »
Is it worth it if you stop once and do 20 houses and only have to reel in once?

trevor povey

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:06 am »
possibly not but had a rota cuff opp the other year so trying to make things easier..for everyone

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:54:38 am »
"possibly not but had a rota cuff opp the other year so trying to make things easier..for everyone"

Pretty sure one of your guys, will be upto winding 100m of hose in every couple of hours or so ???  After all lifting a full trolley and barrels out of the van will put the same stress on joints and muscle's.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

trevor povey

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:30:13 pm »

I use fixed reel and rollers on van floor and I would have thought it would definitely catch on your tyres
[/qu

cheers..my other thoughts were just have one fitted ..probably easiest option and save a few ££

LBWCS

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »
possibly not but had a rota cuff opp the other year so trying to make things easier..for everyone

If something can help you continue in this job for as long as possible it is worth it then

trevor povey

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:15:42 pm »
"possibly not but had a rota cuff opp the other year so trying to make things easier..for everyone"

Pretty sure one of your guys, will be upto winding 100m of hose in every couple of hours or so ???  After all lifting a full trolley and barrels out of the van will put the same stress on joints and muscle's.

im sure they are upto it looking at purchase as a tax point as well due to year end comming up shortley

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 01:30:30 pm »
I work with 2 leccy reels (on occasions I have someone with me)

Yes when using  fixed reels it will catch on tyres and doors etc.

That's why it's important to park the right way.

My work is different, only one or two jobs then move. How we do it is worker goes to back, I feed him hose out round any obstacles.

But you have a totally different way of working and it seems manual reels that you lift in and out once every 20 houses makes far more sense for you.

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:13:59 pm »
What van do you use with 3 lads, 2 reels, trolley n large water tank in?
Whichever van it is, do you have side doors? Rather than two reels stacked on top of each other, how about one at the rear of the van and the other at the side, perhaps under the van etc so you just make sure u park with that side to the curb.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 05:11:05 pm »
I'm with Nathan.
One out the back, one out the side.
I work alone, but I work out the side...
...that's how I role!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

trevor povey

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:06 pm »
What van do you use with 3 lads, 2 reels, trolley n large water tank in?
Whichever van it is, do you have side doors? Rather than two reels stacked on top of each other, how about one at the rear of the van and the other at the side, perhaps under the van etc so you just make sure u park with that side to the curb.
Think after listening to the above comments just going to go for one reel straight outa back door...probabley need a new van nxt 2/3yrs  so probabley go for the side door option if we add another leccy reel👍

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 06:12:10 pm »
We tend to use someone holding a pole in whatever position to direct the hose and create best angle to pull out hose and often when winding in

By yourself it’s hard

trevor povey

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:15 pm »
We tend to use someone holding a pole in whatever position to direct the hose and create best angle to pull out hose and often when winding in

By yourself it’s hard
[/quote

Use the same formula with mi foot someti. mes when one of lads got to get round a car👍.. Are you using 2 reels then if so would you prefer second one comming out of a side door

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »
I just took my electric reel out as my round does not really warrant one
I very rarely get a stand-alone house these days  , which is nice 👍
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:30 pm »
 I have both reels fixed and facing out the back, tried out the side many years ago, much prefer from the back it works better for my rounds

Most my houses are all stand alone we only average 10-13  houses mostly,  can be as low as 6-8 some days

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 07:23:20 pm »

no window cleaner would go back to a manual reel out of choice once they ve got used to an electric reel.....unless its a botch job power drill on the end of the reel jobbie..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:49 pm »
Three men working out of one van??? I'd invest in at least one more van. Much more efficient.

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 09:16:40 pm »

no window cleaner would go back to a manual reel out of choice once they ve got used to an electric reel.....unless its a botch job power drill on the end of the reel jobbie..... ;D

How very dare you Daz  ;D ;D ;D
I only really took my DRILL  out as I did not know if I had enough power to run my botched up £200 diesel water heater that is now giving me 45c water direct from my cold tank  ;D ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !