Shrek

Just had a cancellation before I did the first clean!
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:42:47 pm »
500k detached house , priced at £35 every 2 months. Large windows, large patio doors , skylights etc . The wife was going out whilst I was pricing up with the husband. He said ok start next month, she’s just rang saying it’s far too expensive and they’ve just moved from knutsford from the same size house and their old windy has just put his price up after 10 years  to..... £8.50!!
I was gobsmacked 😶, said thanks and bye 👋

What are some window cleaners thinking, I don’t know how you would make a profit from that on a house that size

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: Just had a cancellation before I did the first clean!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:54:16 pm »
Clearly some uninsured, unregistered, corner cutting  numpty.  And a tight arse customer who is happy to use the black market on anything he does.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

lal

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:09:44 pm »

There is no point wasting your time with these tight arsed people, we all get them from time to time, just put it
 behind you and move on.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »
just a guy doing it for beer money

forget and move on

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 04:34:20 pm »
500k detached house , priced at £35 every 2 months. Large windows, large patio doors , skylights etc . The wife was going out whilst I was pricing up with the husband. He said ok start next month, she’s just rang saying it’s far too expensive and they’ve just moved from knutsford from the same size house and their old windy has just put his price up after 10 years  to..... £8.50!!
I was gobsmacked 😶, said thanks and bye 👋

What are some window cleaners thinking, I don’t know how you would make a profit from that on a house that size

where my brother used to live(large affluent 4 and 5 bed housing estate)the local ladder monkeys were charging £8-£10 PER HOUSE!! :o :o shocking prices for these types of houses IMO......

for years ive been picking up an old geezers(he s 71 now!)customers slowly but surely.im at least triple his prices but he s just a "glass only" trad window cleaner.......they have all been happy to pay more for a decent job..... :)

just move on to your next job and forget about her........ 8)

....theyll be another customer just around the corner that will happily pay your price......have faith.. ;)
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 05:36:54 pm »
Cheers guys , I hardly ever get a no to my prices so comes as a bit of a shock when I do lol 👍

Walter Mitty

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »
It happens to me a bit more than it used to, which tells me my pricing is fine.
I had one on my recent canvassing.  He looked unsure about £18 so I said I could do it at half the frequency for £24.  He was not a happy bunny.  He told me that in the area he moved from (about 10 miles away) he was being charged £14 for a smaller house.  I suggested that he phone the guy.
Why haggle?  If my price structure isn't suitable the answer is, "No, thank you."  Yet some of them have to try their silly little power struggles.

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 07:05:53 pm »
Cheers guys , I hardly ever get a no to my prices so comes as a bit of a shock when I do lol 👍
There's an old saying ,if you get all the jobs you quote for your too cheap, if you don't get any jobs your too dear, if you win some and lose some,then the pricing is about right.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:23 pm »

thats because most customers/people are decent/fair and know your running a business and need to make some profit....but theres always the ones who expect you to clean their windows for next to nothing...luckily their few and far between....
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 08:45:48 pm »
Could have been worse; you could have actually done the first clean, then got told you've lost it to someone cheaper.

Happened to me yesterday, luckily, I hadn't cleaned it. Customer called me and said don't bother i've got someone much cheaper. I said if he lets you down feel free to call me. He thought I was very understanding about it on the phone.

Wait until he calls me  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:51 pm »
Could have been worse; you could have actually done the first clean, then got told you've lost it to someone cheaper.

Happened to me yesterday, luckily, I hadn't cleaned it. Customer called me and said don't bother i've got someone much cheaper. I said if he lets you down feel free to call me. He thought I was very understanding about it on the phone.

Wait until he calls me  ;D

That’s low , accepting your price then asking for more quotes. Why can’t they just say il get back to you instead  ::)roll

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:55 pm »
I have picked up a mother and daughter combo (no jokes please).

I do the mum's house at £40 to £60 every 8 weeks (depending on whether I do the presently unoccupied granny bungalow on request) and the daughter's - about a mile away - at £35.00 including a conservatory. Both are largish detached houses.

Mum and daughter are very pleasant to deal with as are their husbands when I (rarely) bump into them.

After about a year the mum asked me to quote for another daughter who had a similar sized house, again about a mile away. I turn up and get a different vibe. Snooty cow.

So I price it up at £40 on the same frequency and she looks at me and says - you said £20.00 over the phone.

I looked at her and her husband quizzically and said "I've never spoken to you before Mrs. _______ !"
She said "You told my mother £20.00 and that's what the last window cleaner charged."

I denied it and started to explain that I never give prices over the phone and certainly not to someone other than the householder.

She said "Well take it or leave it."

I said "I'll leave it; goodbye."

So I went to the mother's and sisters on their scheduled cleans half expecting to get a closing of ranks - but nothing has been said.

Strange. 
It's a game of three halves!