martyn

Westminster drought meeting
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:11:59 am »
I attended a mneeting Iin westminster yesterday to debate teh drought orders etc

4 MPs

1 Lord

about a dozen water reps

the Royal Horticultural Society

CPRE

and various acedemics and watchdog bodies

a ery interssting openning meeting

martyn

alansavvi

Re: Westminster drought meeting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:32:24 pm »
your going to need to tell us more, please.

aztec

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:55:19 pm »
come on mate what happened then!!!!!

martyn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »
 attended a meeting in Westminster yesterday to debate the drought orders etc

In attendance were, 4 MPs,1 Lord,about a dozen water reps,the Royal Horticultural Society,CPRE,and various academics and watchdog bodies.  I had been asked to attend to represent the APWC and put forward matters for the industry.

It was very interesting opening meeting

Topics  discussed included, the recharge of the aquifer reserves, water grids, the effect of PPG on supplies, EU water framework directives.  Which I was able to contribute towards.

I was able to inform the meeting of the situation in Yorkshire where following a drought a few years ago water is now piped around the area to overcome  local shortages.

Also I put across the serious affect these orders will have on our industry and asked that common sense be used, it has to be appreciated that where a person has made a serious investment to address WAHD they are not penalised then for living/working in the south.

I was very pleased with the network of contacts established and the hopes that future liaison will continue.

delegates also expressed their thanks for the industry  being represented and for the  comments made.

Martyn

JohnL

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:17:52 pm »
not giving too much away then!

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 10:37:58 pm »
attended a meeting in Westminster yesterday to debate the drought orders etc

In attendance were, 4 MPs,1 Lord,about a dozen water reps,the Royal Horticultural Society,CPRE,and various academics and watchdog bodies.  I had been asked to attend to represent the APWC and put forward matters for the industry.

It was very interesting opening meeting

Topics  discussed included, the recharge of the aquifer reserves, water grids, the effect of PPG on supplies, EU water framework directives.  Which I was able to contribute towards.

I was able to inform the meeting of the situation in Yorkshire where following a drought a few years ago water is now piped around the area to overcome  local shortages.

Also I put across the serious affect these orders will have on our industry and asked that common sense be used, it has to be appreciated that where a person has made a serious investment to address WAHD they are not penalised then for living/working in the south.

I was very pleased with the network of contacts established and the hopes that future liaison will continue.

delegates also expressed their thanks for the industry  being represented and for the  comments made.

Martyn

Hi Martyn.
What is PPG please?

martyn

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 11:04:51 pm »
sorry  PPG is planning policy guidance or the rules under which your council will operate its planning department.

It was under one of the  PPGs ( and they number many) that a mass increase in the number of homes in the South east was sanctioned.

those homes are now taking water from the limited resource.

Put homes in, but don't prepare for their water needs.  Good eh!