MJH

which ro?
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:09:07 pm »
Hello all,
i am looking to build a 500 litre braked wfp trailer system but i am unsure which ro unit is best. I want a reliable, easily maintained and cost efficient unit that will comfortably fill a 500 litre tank overnight, i have been looking at the 400gpd from ro-man but am unsure if this is up to the job, any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
matt

Tim Morton

Re: which ro?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:25:32 pm »
Hi Matt, the 450gpd from ro-man will be plenty to fill your tank up, I have a 200gpd pumped ro from ro-man and it fills my 420L water butt up in 14-18 hrs. ( I havent actually timed it down to the precise second!! )
The only thing I'd reccomend is to get a pressure boosting pump as well, unless your mains water is above 70psi.

One other alternative is to get a 4040 ro, my brother has one of these and it produces a huge amount of water, i dont know the figures for it but i'm sure someone else here will put them up.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

MJH

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:06:34 pm »
 :)Thanks Tim, where do u get a 4040 ro from? if u were filling your tank say every other day do these units (ro-man) need much maintenance i.e filter changes/resin refilling and are they reasonably cheap to run?
sorry i am a bit of a novice.

Tim Morton

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:22:25 pm »
Hi Matt, the cheapest i've seen is http://www.gapswater.co.uk/acatalog/Reverse_osmosis_kits.html for the 4040 kit.

I would use 300-350L 3 times a week, there isnt much in the way of maintenance with the ro, I would flush out the ro for a few mins after each fill just to keep the membrane's clear. The filters need changing at least every 6 months, even if you dont use that much water the Chlorine removing capacity goes after 6 months of use and Chlorine will destroy your membranes very very quickly. I got a little digital water meter to let me know when I've reached the reccomended capacity in Liters of the filters.

I dont have a di resin filter on my Ro, I have a larger di vessel on my trailer after my pump, with the di vessel, wherever it is, you just need to check the output tds once a week to make sure it's at 000tds.

I'm not on water charges so I cant really tell you if they are cheap to run from that perspective, but as regards filters ect, the filter set costs about 23, say you need to change them max 3 times a year thats only just over 70 per year.

With my 200gpd ro I have 148tds going in and 001-002 coming out, so my resin should last over a year, Whoo hooo !!  ;D

No need to apologise mate, we all have to learn somehow, and asking questions is the best way  :D

A hint that I've found to be helpful, before filling your tank up, run your ro for about 1-2 mins, the tds readings when you 1st start it up are quite high, but after a couple of mins it'll be down to below 010.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else, I might not know it but there's plenty of more qualified folk on here who will answer it

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

MJH

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:00:27 pm »
Thanks for that mate thats spot on 70 quid a year sounds good to me when u consider the cost of the ro, at the rate u use per week do u go through much resin or is it minimal?
i notice u said u have a trailer! Did u build it yourself, if so do u have any tips on that front?
I like the the look of the ionics systems but i thought building my own might be more cost effective.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
Hi Matt

In Tim's abscence coz he is offline I can assure you that his resin use will be very minimal. Max 1 x 25 ltr bag per year I would think. i use tha same 200 gpd Ro that he has and get well over 600 ltrs per 24 hrs out of it. I would think the 300 gpd RO would do you fine. Especially if its pumped or your water pressure is good. I supplied one to a local guy who uses at least 600 ltrs a day and it does the job great for him.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Tim Morton

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 06:49:13 pm »
Hi Matt, yes, I built my own trailer mount, it wasnt that hard really if you're a bit handy with basic diy.
I bought a Indespension Daxara 148 trailer with a jockey wheel, it has a 500Kg carrying capacity, and is small enough to store easily.
I have 2 upright 175L tanks, i choose 2 upright  tanks as a flat 400L tank is slightly over a metre wide and most trailers that can take a metre wide are too big for me to store. So I have the 2 tanks placed at either side of the trailer and pushed up to the front of the trailer and I built a frame out of 2"x4" studding to keep the 2 tanks apart, and then to stop them moving to the back of the trailer I built another wooden frame at the back of the tanks. I use a 3.5tonne strap to keep the tanks from being bounced ( as if half a ton of water will bounce !!), but it mainly stops them from moving.
I then built a box to house my battery, pump and DI vessel and then just hooked it all up.

This prob sounds a bit confusing but I'll try and take some pics over the next few days and post some here.

Best tip is to read and read and read, go through the archives of this forum, you'll get plenty of great advice.

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:29:55 pm »
Tim, if you do get some pics and post em here, could i use them on the DIY forum

as we allways have people ask about DIY trailer systems and i have no pictures or posts about them

matt

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 08:31:45 pm »
in ref the maintanance of the RO, i flush every week for a hour or so, BUT as for changing the pre-filters, i havent in 2 years

its still producing the same quality water and still the same amount

i only have a 60 Gall per day system though, so its not worked that hard, and at 75 quid a unit, when its dead its dead and i buy a new 1

Tim Morton

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:47 pm »
Tim, if you do get some pics and post em here, could i use them on the DIY forum

as we allways have people ask about DIY trailer systems and i have no pictures or posts about them

That'd be ok Matt, if you want I can post them on both forums at the same time, I've learnt a lot from both yours and this forum, would be very glad to give something back.

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

MJH

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »
hi(i haven't been on this site all day, honest!!)
;D  Thanks for that advice lads, i will defo look at the 300gpd ro, it would be good to see tims's trailer it sounds impressive i am looking at getting a braked erde trailer(i think thats how u spell it) and like yourself mounting two tanks or one larger one if it will fit, where did u get your lorry straps from?
matt h

Tim Morton

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 09:23:30 pm »
where did u get your lorry straps from?

I honestly cant remember, I think I might've got them from an electronics place that does other stuff as well.

I'm hoping to get some fotos taken tomorrow if i can find some batteries for my digital camera  ;) If I get some I'll post some pics tomorrow eve.

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Tim Morton

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 03:36:45 pm »
Hi guys, just posted pics of my trailer mount here http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=19436.0

Matt, I tryed to post the same on your forum but I'm a bit dim and cant work out how to post the pics, so if you can copy them off this forum and post them for me that'd be great, i'll follow the thread and answer any questions that might get asked. If you need them I can email you the pics if you cant get them off this forum.
thanks Matt

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Tim Morton

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:18 am »
Matt, I tryed to post the same on your forum but I'm a bit dim and cant work out how to post the pics, so if you can copy them off this forum and post them for me that'd be great, i'll follow the thread and answer any questions that might get asked.

Hi Matt, I worked it out and posted the pics on your forum.

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

macc

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 08:28:14 pm »
MATT, what is your forum please. macc

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 08:35:08 pm »
Macc

I think that Matt isnt allowed to post his forum link here.

Pop me a quick email to purefreedom@btinternet.com and I will send you the link.

Cheers

Andrew

matt

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 09:04:38 pm »
Macc

I think that Matt isnt allowed to post his forum link here.

Pop me a quick email to purefreedom@btinternet.com and I will send you the link.

Cheers

Andrew

i think mike said i couldn't promote it

i guess its ok if people ask

http://d.co.uk

or e.mail me at

diywfplink@yahoo.co.uk

and the link will be sent to you ;)

matt

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 09:06:09 pm »
Matt, I tryed to post the same on your forum but I'm a bit dim and cant work out how to post the pics, so if you can copy them off this forum and post them for me that'd be great, i'll follow the thread and answer any questions that might get asked.

Hi Matt, I worked it out and posted the pics on your forum.

Tim

good man :)

i split the post to the "showcase forum" as i allways have people ask me about a trailer system

macc

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 10:05:25 pm »
thanks. macc.

Tim Morton

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 10:28:09 pm »

i split the post to the "showcase forum" as i allways have people ask me about a trailer system

Thanks Matt, I feel quite honored, I've never had anything put into a "showcase" before!!  :P

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland