MWCS

setting up again!!!!!
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:15 pm »
Well I've finally decided i'm gonna take the plunge and set up my own window cleaning business (again cough cough)

I'm currently a sky engineer, fitting sky digital, aerials and big screens into pubs. It's a great job but the hours are crazy. I'm working 6 sometimes 7 days a week starting at 7am and finishing any time between 6pm and 11pm.

At least when i was window cleaning i got a family life as well.

Anyway my plan is to target a 50 50 split between domestic and commercial work but this time price them right, from the start, (no more 3 pound semis !!!)

I know most of you say door knocking is the quickest way but i simply haven't got the time. What are your thoughts about a leaflet drop with a local paper?

Has anyone else done this, if so did it work for you?

Re: setting up again!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »
Hi MWCS

Welcome back to our world!!!  :)

To answer your question quickly. Tried it... it didnt work :(

You would be far better off maybe getting family members etc to drop them for you. That way they dont get buried along with the rest that go out with the local rag. And.. keep repeating it regularly. All the best mate  !!!  :)

Andrew

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:13:41 pm »
If i ever put flyers out i get the kids to do it.

It only cost me a McFlurry from McDonalds ;D ;D ;D

Craig 8)

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:30:54 pm »
Leaflets are slow but they do work - eventually. The trick for me is not to overdo it and end up getting fed up and disillusioned. About 100 to 150 a night, every night is better than trying to blitz it.

billozz

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 09:04:19 pm »
what about that company that ive heard of...they are called doorknockers i think they guarantee to get you business in whatever area you need it ...not sure what they cost but it may be a quick way of getting a reasonable round up and running
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 09:17:39 pm »
Craig , your nothin but a blackmailer !

Channings Wood for you my son  ;D

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 09:22:48 pm »
Craig , your nothin but a blackmailer !

Channings Wood for you my son  ;D

Rich   P @ F

Wonder if they want their windows done??

At least i won't get blamed for leaving my ladder against the wall if anyone goes missing ;D ;D

Mind you they might slide down my pole ;D ;D

(Left that wide open for some comment from you Rich)

Craig ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 09:36:57 pm »
I have seen those windows from the wrong side as you know Craig , that is one job i wouldnt take on , i could not get the brush head between all those bars  ;D ;D ;D

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

craig jwc

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:45:57 pm »
Thought you used a Tooth Brush head ;D ;D ;D ;D

Craig

MWCS

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:00:02 am »
Cheers for the advice guys,

I think i'll do the leaflet drop with the paper, even if i only get a few calls from a couple of streets at least then i know where to start door knocking.

Andrew just looked at your website would be very interested in a price on a system, or is it, if you have to ask you can't afford it lol  ;D

Matt

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 07:11:13 am »
MWCS - Hello! Forget leaflets alone - dress presentably, carry a clipboard, smile and knock until you drop - it's the quickest and cheapest way! (take a coherent family member to work "over-and-over" with you - it's good for morale and you can be called over if they catch a "live" one!
It's a game of three halves!

MWCS

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:57:28 pm »
There's another reason for wanting to go down the leaflet route, if I go door knocking this time of year they'll all think i'm the one of the fair weather, extra beer token brigade!!

ray l

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 07:13:18 pm »
How about go door knocking , with a supply of decent leaflets.
If there home fine, if they don,t want you at the moment you can leave a leaflet, for future refference.
If no one home they still get the message.
A few small ads might help at the start but I don,t think you need to go over the top

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 07:44:17 pm »
There's another reason for wanting to go down the leaflet route, if I go door knocking this time of year they'll all think i'm the one of the fair weather, extra beer token brigade!!

They won't if you have a presentable face, good leaflets and dress smart.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:26 pm »
Good luck, but you won't get 50-50 commercial/domestic split.

I've been going for 5 years by myself and I doubt my commercial is 10%, and I'm always trying to get it.
I only know 1 w/cer with 50/50 split, and he's been going over 20 years.

...and Ian Giles will tell you, he was lucky to get a good round started then.
You won't get much commercial now, there's too much competition. :-\

Don't let it put you off, there's plenty to be made in domestics.

Rog.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 09:00:18 pm »
Just noticed someone else has mentioned Doorknockers.

Quite a few of my customers have used or are using them. I hear nothing but good reports about them. If you want good quality work building quickly at a very reasonable price they are definately worth a call. I have only ever spoken to Paul Bass (the owner) once and that was to pass someones name onto him that had asked me about them..

I get NOTHING out of this and wouldnt want anything but it can't hurt to speak to Paul Bass. If you would like to know more about them just ask.

Cheers

Andrew

MWCS

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 08:00:26 am »
I'm getting some polo shirts with the company name on them and also getting leaflets done at a printers so (fingers crossed) will look professional. Think i'll do what malc and ray said sounds cheaper lol.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll keep you posted on how the canvassing goes.

(Right where did I put that coherent family member??????)