spotless2000

Setup or Coincidence?
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:24:29 pm »
Setup or Coincidence?

Phone rings at 1pm – Miss X, “Can you give me a price to clean my windows please?”

Take her details including a number (mobile) and arrange to turn up at Miss X’s new semi at 2pm.

2pm pull into the cul-de-sac & drive passed 2 vans with ladders & WFP’s and 5 guys staring at me (my van is sign written).

I knock on the door when one of the men approaches me and says, “She’s just gone out”.  “You’re the new guy around here aren’t you? I’ve got your leaflet”.

So I make polite conversation.  “These are my guys”, he says, and I’ve got your leaflet”.  You’ve already said that once, I thought.  More probing questions about my business follow. 

“I’d better get on, nice to meet you”, I say.

So I knock again – no answer – I left card & a note saying I had called.

Questions…

Why does miss X arrange for me to turn up and then she’s not in?

When I phone the mobile – I get a message “this phone is switched off please call back later or send a text”.  Why is it now switched off?

Why do I think I’ve been setup?

Coincidence?

jakeandmia

Re: Setup or Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:40:22 pm »
Hi

Definently a set up me thinks.I wouldnt worry about it.All youre trying to do is build up your business.

Wayne

jouk45

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:20:17 pm »
he Could be a member here in this forum for all you know,

spotless2000

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:12:12 pm »
he Could be a member here in this forum for all you know,

Quite Possible!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:14:48 pm »
Setup or Coincidence?

Phone rings at 1pm – Miss X, “Can you give me a price to clean my windows please?”

Take her details including a number (mobile) and arrange to turn up at Miss X’s new semi at 2pm.

2pm pull into the cul-de-sac & drive passed 2 vans with ladders & WFP’s and 5 guys staring at me (my van is sign written).

I knock on the door when one of the men approaches me and says, “She’s just gone out”.  “You’re the new guy around here aren’t you? I’ve got your leaflet”.

So I make polite conversation.  “These are my guys”, he says, and I’ve got your leaflet”.  You’ve already said that once, I thought.  More probing questions about my business follow. 

“I’d better get on, nice to meet you”, I say.

So I knock again – no answer – I left card & a note saying I had called.

Questions…

Why does miss X arrange for me to turn up and then she’s not in?

When I phone the mobile – I get a message “this phone is switched off please call back later or send a text”.  Why is it now switched off?

Why do I think I’ve been setup?

Coincidence?

As he kept on about having yopur leaflet, maybe you should have asked him if he wanted his windows cleaned.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:26:43 pm »
Its always going to happen. In this business you are bound to tread on a few toes. I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Ali_D

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:12:00 pm »
Perhaps he liked your leaflet  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:26:52 pm »
It was obviously him that set you up , i would have broke his nose !

Rich P @ F

If hes a member on this forum i hope hes reading this  , hes a turd !

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

ronaldo

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 10:41:59 pm »
I like your way of thinking Rich" you must have come out of the same mould as me because thats exactly what i would have done mate!
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 09:24:16 am »
Ronaldo , perhaps you and me should merge and move our efforts into the area of SPOTLESS 2000   ;D

Rich  P @ F

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 09:27:09 am »
We wouldnt take any SPOTLESS 2000 work obviously !

Rich   P @ F  ;D ;D ;D

spotless2000

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 11:38:16 am »
I hope you guys would introduce yourselves by inviting me for beer 1st - It would definitely be better then making me turn up to do a fake quote! ;D

ronaldo

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 02:03:34 pm »
If we lived a bit nearer to each other Rich i"d have been all for that  ;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:31:24 pm »
That'd learn em eh !

;D ;D ;D   Rich P @ F

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 06:10:29 pm »
It really bugs me when I hear stories like Spotless's.

Similar - but worse - has happened to myself.

I really can't understand this sort of mentality.  If you do a good job and are a decent sort of chap, I doubt anyone would lose many customers to a new window cleaner.  And those you lost probably wouldn't be worth having in the first place.

Leekson (a member here), canvassed part of my round a few months back and I didn't lose one customer.  That's not a bad reflection on Leekson; but it is a nice compliment towards me.

Not long after that, via this forum, we arranged a time to meet up, so he could see how a Shurflo back-pack worked.

Hopefully, once Leekson has more work than he can handle, and someone asks him from an area I do to clean their windows, he'll point them in my direction.

Networking with other window cleaners is better than fighting with them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 07:08:19 am »
To make absolutely sure, Spotless, call back on the house early evening when they're likely to be in and offer your services - if they know nothing about calling a window cleaner you've got an answer.

Call that mobile number at different times and if you get through just ask - is that the window cleaner?

Knowledge gives more control and control gives options.......
It's a game of three halves!