G & M

150psi shurflo pump
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:00:01 pm »
Hi all. Do any one of you use a 150psi pump and if so where did you buy it?
Also can it be used with a varifow controller. We are thinking of using two brushes off the van mounted tank so thought 150psi pump would do the trick.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
P.S. What are the best poles for residential jobs.

Cheers Michael -G&M

Tim Morton

Re: 150psi shurflo pump
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:09:51 pm »
We are thinking of using two brushes off the van mounted tank so thought 150psi pump would do the trick.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
P.S. What are the best poles for residential jobs.

Cheers Michael -G&M

I may be wrong, but i think the issue with running two poles off one pump is more to do with the flow rate of the pump, ie 3L per min or 6L per min. So you want to have at least 4-5 L per min for 2 poles. Where the psi comes in is when you want to go higher, my brother has a 95psi flojet and he cleans a 4 story building with no probs, i think there are guys on here that go up 60feet with 95 or 100psi pumps.

The best pole I find for domestic work is a 18ft pole, I can do downstairs with it and up to low 3rd floor windows and it's light enough to use all day without fatigue. Some find that a 12ft pole is enough for most domestic work, but i have a round that has a dormer window halfway up the roof so i needed a 18ft.

Hope this helps.

tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

G & M

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:25:12 pm »
Thanks Tim, food for thought. Michael

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:51:32 pm »
hi i use a 100psi pump run with a varistream and i use microbore hose i don't need to have pump on very high! i usually have varistream on half way round i don't really think you will need a 150psi pump.

JM123

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:22:29 pm »
The rule for pumping water at height is 1psi=2ft, 1bar=15psi and so on, so if your water pressure into the ro is 50psi then the level of water in the reservoir is 100ft above the ro, so if you want to pump up 60ft you require 30psi, obviously flow rate decreases with height but even the smallest pump will cope with 60ft.  As for running 2 poles per pump I would never recommend this to any of my customers as it will halve flow rate per pole and then double it again when one pole is disconnected.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

dai

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:27:53 pm »
What is the difference between a shurflow 60psi and a shurflow 100psi apart from the pressure switch? does anyone know?
If you run a 60psi pump, and then disconnect the pressure switch will the pump psi increase? I was wondering about this when I fitted the Varistream. Dai

JM123

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:00:17 pm »
The internals are usually the same, although be careful as different diaphragms have differing densities and breaking strains.  For the most part the pressure switch is set at a different psi.  We use a 60psi shurflo and a 100psi shurflo, different models.  The 100psi is an 8000-441 model and have got to say it seems to pump a little easier than the older 60psi.

Ballymena N.I

dai

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:29:44 pm »
Jm 123 Thanks for that. Do you use a Varistream? I only go to the second floor but the water gushes out if I turn the Varistream up, I have never had to use it at more than half way up with a 60psi pump. I have had to turn the inside dial down one click too. If williamsons tell us to disconnect the pressure pump I think it is safe to assume that no harm will be done to the pump, even at maximum settings. I use 30 metres of 6mm I/D hose. Dai

JM123

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »
No prob Dai.  I use 35m standard hose connected to 30m microbore on the same reel, without the varistream on I get approx 2ltrs/min (60psi pump) which suits me nicely, the other system uses varistreams on both pumps (100psi) with 50m microbore per reel, varistreams are both set at 2ltrs/min.  Your pump will be fine with the varistream although you shouldn't have to adjust it when going up a floor (hence auto-compensating).  I also use fan-spray nozzles, hope that helps.

Ballymena N.I