split charge relay?
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:56:42 am »
i've just switched to having battery fixed in van was looking to getting it charge in van anyone fitted one of these? ???

ScrimShady

Re: split charge relay?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 12:07:48 pm »
i am having one fitted tomorrow, i will keep you posted on how it goes.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:08:56 pm »
ok thanks ;D

sair

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:20:07 pm »
we sell a split charge syetm for lesure battery cost 90.00 plus vat  07944 227635

hope fully the picture will load this time if not e mail me for photos
Essentially Pure Ltd

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 05:02:45 pm »
Have a look at Maplins <---click, type "split charge relay" in the search bar.

£7.99

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 05:16:45 pm »
Hey Mick , i have had one of these in my glove box for 6 months , the instructions are not that clear so i never fitted it , if you have the same one , how did you wire it ?

Cheers Rich P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Tim Morton

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 06:27:21 pm »
Hi guys, just a thought if you are thinking of fitting a split charge relay yourself, if anything was to happen and your electrics went on fire or failed in some way, the insurance most probably would NOT pay out as they would have a great get-out clause in that you have modified the vans electrics. Best to get an insured auto-electrician to do it or get a system that you can just plug into the cig lighter socket.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »
Hi
Have a look on this site as he has tons of info.

I don't think you can go too far wrong if you fit it carefully and methodically, use the correct gauge of wire and put in the correct inline fuse.

http://www.kampenwagen.co.uk

If you are doing short trips then you will have to supplement the charge with an auxillary battery charger at night.

My concern is that a leisure battery needs a slow charge rather than a fast charge that the van/car alternator will provide - could lead to early battery failure.

It would be interesting to hear of other members experiences as I would consider doing something similar with my trailer battery.

Rgds

Spruce.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:13:58 pm »
Hey Mick , i have had one of these in my glove box for 6 months , the instructions are not that clear so i never fitted it , if you have the same one , how did you wire it ?

Cheers Rich P @ F

Sorry, no I dont have one. I just have 2 batteries and keep them charged up, you can generally tell from the sound of the pumps when the battery is getting a bit low.

Mick

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 08:25:47 pm »
well i've been quoted around a hundred quid to have my van fitted with one all in. ???

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 09:12:41 am »
I asked my local garage and was told that just for round town they wont charge enough, they are designed to keep fridges going while on a run.

The garage, who are happy to take money no matter what, told me it would be a waste if I didnt go on a run as the main battery would take charge first.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 09:32:22 am »
I asked my local garage and was told that just for round town they wont charge enough, they are designed to keep fridges going while on a run.

The garage, who are happy to take money no matter what, told me it would be a waste if I didnt go on a run as the main battery would take charge first.

The only time I had a problem with one of these was when the fuse next to the van battery popped.  This was probably my fault anyway for turning the engine before the glow plug light went out.  Mind you, I do travel a few miles to work most of the time so maybe that helps.  I also use the van for non work stuff as well which would all give time for the leisure battery to charge.

gaza

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 12:20:34 am »
HAD ONE FOR FOUR YEARS ,SAME BATTERY NO PROBS

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 10:29:51 am »
anybody know how to wire one of these up? ???

Mick (UHPS)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 07:13:21 pm »
Theres something about your posts Mick ... I allways pause on them  ;D

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 07:32:38 pm »
Anything to do with bouncy charlotte!!?

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 09:37:24 am »
erm now let me think  ;D Yep

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 11:55:53 am »
Ok, I have slowed her down a bit...and now she's coming at yer. :o 8) 8)

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 01:13:54 pm »
mick how do you get moving pictures on here anyway? i just about manage putting a photo on?

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 05:49:51 pm »
You upload the pic (gif) to a photo host, I use Photobucket, then copy the url from there and paste it on to the 'post reply' page the same as you would an image
Code: [Select]
[img]Insert url link here[/img]

HTH

Mick

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 07:47:02 pm »
OMG thats it im all done now ......... yooll gett notttting buut  jiibberrrish fffrom nnow onnn :P :P