Rob Tonks

Re: Scottish pricing
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 02:50:27 pm »
bumper
 I work rochdale, oldham areas not that far from u. £10 for a 3 bed house i wish  >:(  I would charge £10 if they wanted frames doing every time but not many do up here in my areas. I clean every 2 weeks but most on here clean every 4 weeks so they get more cash for monthly and frames.  :D

bumper

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 04:40:34 pm »
hi rob ,
       sorry to here you work round rochdale and oldham   :)   lol
but us tough northerners have to work twice has hard to make a living up here ,where its always raining,windy and dull.

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 06:19:04 pm »
Area is important to what you can charge but don't go running away with the idea its easy down here in the South.

It is easier if you can, and not everyone can, to go and find new customers rather than put up your prices.
I have always found that once you have established a price its virtually impossible to get any meaninful increase out of those customers. You will get a cost of living increase in line with inflation but nothing much more than that.

On the other hand when you go out canvassing you can be a lot cheekier. The higher the price you say then the more knockbacks you will get - obviously. But you will also get takers willing to pay the higher prices.

Over time, and I do stress its not a quick fix the value of your book will get better and you will be able to risk losing  a few of the old customers when you put their prices up.

Another trick is to give the old customers to a friend. Tell them a new window cleaner is taking over. "he's very good missus but I think he charges a bit more than me"

zeusjazmin

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 08:01:54 pm »
i am in ayrshire and know i would not get £5 for a 3bed semi,but 13 miles away in ayr it would be no problem

DASERVICES

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07:21 pm »

Sorry guys but you are wasting your time on Council houses, there is no money
  in doing them. Best advise is go and find 10 private houses and you will then
  be able to dump 20 council houses.

That's one area I do not touch as I have heard to many moans and groans
  from fellow window cleaners.

Doug

dai

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 08:44:47 pm »
I don't know if you still have coal fires up there in scotland, I do and had to have my chimney swept recently. A mate got his done too in order to make it worthwhile him coming. He came and was gone in 30mins, he charges £40 a pop.
A decent WFP system costs more than a chimney vac. The point I'm making is that it's all about how our customers percieve us. People espeacially the older ones still think in terms of Half a crown merchants. They don't think of chimney sweeps like that any more, they come with fancy machines these days, not a brush to stick up the chimney.
It's a choice we have to make. Charge less and have a compact round or charge double and have a scattered one, and spend more time travelling.
The first thing we need to do is get rid of the £30 a day cash in hand benefit cheats.
It's the guys that employ them, that keep the prices down. Dai

Steve Mac

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 09:55:59 pm »
Well said Dai.
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 12:00:19 am »
hi all new to the forum i come from lanark  i have put my prices up to around the fiver
a quid increase and lost no one  the way i sell it is if it were your relation doing them if he smoked you would give him at least a packet off fAgs,now you tell me where you could buy a packet off fAgs for a fiver ,they cant answer you  if there loaded say a bottel of whiskey ,then hike it to a tenner  lol ;D   but  i find if you stick with the fAgs they then relise how little they are actualy paying ya good luck and take no s,,t  as you have to eat  at the end off the week

lippy

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 06:12:11 am »
davis jnr do you use wfp

ducky

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 10:53:15 am »
t.w.c. what company are u.
if it cleans we will clean it

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 12:26:50 pm »
The worst thing you can do is look  at the prices other window cleaners are charging,that in turn can keep your prices down.

The best thing to do is work out what you want to earn per hour and charge accordingly.

There will always be them that just work for beer money and you will never compete with them on price.

Most customers will have nothing to compare you to ,if you do a goood job they will be happy to pay you what you are worth

just bite the bullet and put them all up by a substantial increase, you wont regret it.
My hourly rate as more than double in the last 4 years because i got brave.

Dave

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:43 am »
hi lippy i am thinking on wfp but need a decent contract to even the cost of buying one ,going on a course for one nxt week actualy to see what its all about ,looking in it is difficult enough to cut through the bull of each wfp company so what i know it uses clear water this bit i do get ,but the resin,ros,what pole,what size of tank for which size of job wich company to buy from ,hard soft water ,brush heads snaked our straight ,carbon ,glass fiber ,dont mean to go on but where do u begin ...honestly  so i booked a course to find out all about this ..hope fully i will see the light  8)                and make a purchase soon  wish me luck