Steve Mac

Edges......do you do them? New
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:31 pm »
 I've been debating this with my pops, who's also a man of the cloth, so all opinions are welcome. Once you've bladed a window, who here actually wipes down the edge of the window?

Now i know this might sound a little mundane, but i've worked with blokes who don't bother, and who don't seem to get any complaints. I've also worked with others who are really careful not to leave a trace of water down the sides.

I"ve tested this out, and obviously using dirty water leaves a mark, but it's veeeeery small. Is it worth it? Although it may only take a few seconds to do, add it up over a whole job, and it can make a big difference to your speed.

This is where everyone laughs at the bloke who doesn't wipe - isn't it? ;D
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

ronaldo

Re: Edges...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:04:04 pm »
Steve, when i clean using the traditional method i always wipe the edges and the frames and then the sill. never had any complaints using this method may take a bit longer but the results are worth it.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 07:11:08 pm »
Very shoddy not wiping edges.

You can minimise it by not washing to the edges.
Also, do a few windows nearby(if you're not up a ladder) and then wipe them all when the water has dried.
It'll shine up fine, and you're not "mopping it up" and getting your dry scrim wet. ;)

Rog.

matt

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:29:28 pm »
i ALWAYS detail the edges, it takes seconds and just gives the job a nice finish

H h20

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 07:37:25 pm »
In all the 18 years i`ve always detailed edges but must admit it gets on your nerves,and always used scrim,but i have only just got myself a couple of extra large microfibre cloths and what a MASSIVE difference it makes,it wipes up more water without leaving it feeling too wet it does`nt leave those irritating hairs that scrim does and shifts grease and dirt with just 1 wipe,why o why  have`nt i used it before now,i won`t be buying anymore scrim from now on.Gaz

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 07:45:13 pm »
I've been debating this with my pops, who's also a man of the cloth, so all opinions are welcome. Once you've bladed a window, who here actually wipes down the edge of the window?

Now i know this might sound a little mundane, but i've worked with blokes who don't bother, and who don't seem to get any complaints. I've also worked with others who are really careful not to leave a trace of water down the sides.

I"ve tested this out, and obviously using dirty water leaves a mark, but it's veeeeery small. Is it worth it? Although it may only take a few seconds to do, add it up over a whole job, and it can make a big difference to your speed.

This is where everyone laughs at the bloke who doesn't wipe - isn't it? ;D

Yup we laugh allll the time about this. The WCer who doesn't detail might not get complaints. BUT...  when the customers get a doorknock asking if they want a good window cleaning service you would be amazed how many of them ask " Do you do the edges and frames? AND in general they are prepared to pay more to get the job done thoroughly.

Andrew

windolene

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 08:20:07 pm »
Hi,

Don't recall having had to detail the edges much, just a very few times I notice the odd bit that I have missed. It is generally the top left hand corner. As for a line down the edges isn't it just millimetres?. One of the lessons I taught my son is to always watch the squeegee as your cleaning the window as not to miss bits. As for new customers "saying do I clean the edges" is a new one on me. some have said tongue in cheek "don't forget the corners" & have had a few asking does that include the frames.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 08:43:01 pm »
I can honestly say i always detail the edges, its become so second nature that sometimes I think I do it even when theres nothing to clean up, almost like i'm in auto pilot

Chris

Steve Mac

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 07:50:41 am »
 Well, thanks for that chaps. It's good to see that you all choose to make a perfect job over a quick one.

I personally have been doing everything - the frames, sills, edges etc for the last year or so. I tried what i call the "glasweigan method" of just doing the glass and ignoring everything else.

A friend that i worked with for a day in the big smoke employed this skillful technique - it seems to be the norm there. Plus he was earning up to 20 quid for 15 mins work, so i had to try it for a while. No complaints, but i just felt like i was cheating the customer by not giving them the best job i could do.

You need to take pride in your work in this trade. ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 08:20:57 am »
Well, thanks for that chaps. It's good to see that you all choose to make a perfect job over a quick one.

I personally have been doing everything - the frames, sills, edges etc for the last year or so. I tried what i call the "glasweigan method" of just doing the glass and ignoring everything else.

A friend that i worked with for a day in the big smoke employed this skillful technique - it seems to be the norm there. Plus he was earning up to 20 quid for 15 mins work, so i had to try it for a while. No complaints, but i just felt like i was cheating the customer by not giving them the best job i could do.

You need to take pride in your work in this trade. ;)

If there's anything there, I detail it.  If there isn't, I don't.  I do try to avoid needing to do it but that isn't always possible.  Bottom edge seems to need detailing more than others usually but even that can be avoided a fair bit of the time.  To avoid the need to detail (where possible) I do tend to soap up and not take it all the way to the edge as the squeegee will do that anyway.  I wondered if I was cheating the customer too at first.  One day, when I was asked to clean inside as well, I did an experiment.  On the outside, some windows I detailed, some I didn't.  When I came to do the inside, I really could not see the difference (and I had my reading specs on). A lot depends on how short you cut the rubber in relation to the channel.  Dog earing the channel helps a little bit too.  Also, I find that to work this way, I need to change the rubber a bit more often. I'm not a slapdash window cleaner and I do a reasonable job.  I always wipe the sills down and any detergent that may occasionally stray onto the frames (though a full frame clean is an extra, chargeable job).
Please note that the above ONLY applies to maintenance cleans - not first ones.

Steve Mac

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 08:52:02 am »
 That sounds like you've struck a fair balance there. I tried not using my applicator right to the edge, but i just found it a bit slower. It did make a big difference tho. I suppose you get quicker over time, just like anything else.

The reason i started this topic is cos i did a farm house yesterday, and decided to really got to town on it and clean EVERYTHING, wether it needed it or not. I made a damn good job, but it took me far too long to make my target hourly rate. I'm just looking for a more efficient way of working that'll be as quick as poss while still making as good a job.
Thanks shiner, i might try that method again for a day, see how it goes.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 09:59:54 am »
That sounds like you've struck a fair balance there. I tried not using my applicator right to the edge, but i just found it a bit slower. It did make a big difference tho. I suppose you get quicker over time, just like anything else.

The reason i started this topic is cos i did a farm house yesterday, and decided to really got to town on it and clean EVERYTHING, wether it needed it or not. I made a d**n good job, but it took me far too long to make my target hourly rate. I'm just looking for a more efficient way of working that'll be as quick as poss while still making as good a job.
Thanks shiner, i might try that method again for a day, see how it goes.

Just to add a bit to what I posted.  When I used to soap up all the way to the edges, I could start the cutting movement at the edge of the glass.  Now that I stay away from the very edge, in order to get sufficient "slip", I need to start further into the pane and work it outwards a bit with the squeegee.  Sounds awkward but easier with practice.  Also, when I started working this way, I found it helped a lot by dropping down to a shorter channel length.

gaza

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 12:21:38 am »
MACC: If I dont wipe I end up with stains,so I then have to take them off,turn them inside out,can wear them for another week,then take them off, throw them against the wall if they dont stick start the process again ;D
just stopped wiping down except the sills,used 2 scrims today only only doing the edges and they werent that wet.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 12:35:52 am »
Clean it all glass edges sills frames......you could be breaking the trades description act  ( a window cleaner cleans a window....a window is a peice of glass a frame and a sill watch out........

gaza

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 12:42:07 am »
IM WFP + TRAD SO I DO WHAT I WANT :o IF THEY WANT THE FRAMES DONE THEN THEY PAY FOR IT,IM THE BOSSMAN THEY ARE THE CUSTOMER AND WERE ALWAYS RIGHT.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

KJG

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 01:25:19 am »
I've always been very particular with my squeegee technique. I only watch the leading edge of the blade, which is 'dog eared' with a 45 degree cut with the rubber cut exactly to it. Bar windows with those annoying 'flat on the glass' seals, I don't leave any edge water/soap - 20 odd years of practice helps a bit too.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 06:42:19 am »
On regular repeat cleans I rarely need to detail the edges very much, if it's required then I do so.
If I am working trad, then unless the frames are in a state I don't do them, never have.
Glass and sills only.
If customers wanted the frames done then they got done, but I charged extra for it.

Sometimes I pre-detail prior to squeegeeing off, particularly if the windows are pretty grimy.
I think it depends on your technique and the type of windows you are working on.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 07:15:02 am »
I couldn't walk away without detailing but I take the point that a lot of people don't. I have watched them in the past and they do seem to get away with it.

Spursboy1972

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 07:39:00 am »
I also detail every time. I have found that dog earing and cutting the rubber closer to the blade makes a huge difference to the amount of detailing. I also always wipe the sills. However frames I do charge for. i always explain this to new customers and they are happy with this. Lots of w/c's I come across do none of it just the glass. To me it's all about presentation. I even wipe their front door step! I also detail on my Commercial work. I have to treat all the same.
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 03:09:42 pm »
Clean it all glass edges sills frames......you could be breaking the trades description act  ( a window cleaner cleans a window....a window is a peice of glass a frame and a sill watch out........

Actually ( ;)) according to the Oxford English Dictionary:

Window.  Noun. an opening in a wall or roof, fitted with glass in a frame to let in light or air and allow people to see out.

Sills aren't mentioned.

Neither are doors, but we generally clean them too.

When doing trad, I only clean frames if asked too and charge extra.