www.mrgutters.co.uk

removing scratches from glass ???
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:34:40 pm »
does anyone know where i can go on a course or buy equipment to remove scratches from glass ?

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

carl stanton

Re: removing scratches from glass ???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:28:24 pm »
no but i would have thougt that would be in the upvc fitters area, you could write to a company that produce glass scratch remover! like the products screwfix do, but screwfix are useless at addvice on how to use a product  ::)

Mike George

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:58:39 pm »
There's a topic about this on the Screwfix forum at http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=22&threadID=31659 and the suggested answer is jeweller's rouge, but it sounds like a long and laborious process.

I'd be very interested to hear of any other suggestions...?
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

davidbarlow

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »
does anyone know where i can go on a course or buy equipment to remove scratches from glass ?

Shawn. I have used the powder from screwfix even though the scratch wasn’t deep it was about 9 inches long. It was a long job but I had to do it the windows were only two month old. You need a variable speed drill on slow ( as apparently you can soften the glass if it gets too hot). But the customer was ever so grateful. I have also tried it on a glass conservatory roof, which I had scratched after a build clean but that was a failure. 

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 08:52:28 am »

Screwfix Direct do a product for removing scatches from glass

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:26:43 pm »

Screwfix Direct do a product for removing scatches from glass

Has anyone tried it?

I scratched a window about two hours ago with my A Frames.

It was a bedroom window on a bungalow and I confessed to the customer what I'd done.

She was fine about it, said she'd probably not have noticed anyway, but I would like to make good my accident.

carl stanton

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:41:12 pm »
GOOD BOY Tosh! well done, i think its kind of give it a go, it ruduces the scratch or gets rid of it! hard work

mark coates

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 05:47:18 pm »
A few years ago I fell of a porch roof while climbing onto my ladders, the ladders came down and left a really bad 8in metallic like scratch down the front window. After speaking to a fellow window cleaner friend he suggested using some jewellers rouge to remove said scratch, fortunately he had some because I wouldnt know where to get it. Anyway to cut a long story short I had to polish away at this scratch for an hour, at first you dont think anything is happeneng but slowly the scratch dissapears and it saves forking out for a new window.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 05:50:02 pm »
This sounds like a job for Wor Lass!

She's got the patience for this sort of thing.

Cheers, I'll try Screwfix.

Paul Forster

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 07:49:50 pm »
You can buy jewlers rouge on ebay

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 08:20:25 am »
I have used the powder and drill attachment on a L shaped scratch.

It does work but be very patient, the scratch I removed was about a foot long and it took about 1.5 hours.

Keep the pad moving or you make the glass too hot.

Rob ;D

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 12:26:18 pm »
thanks all

what do you charge for removing scratches from glass as i was asked by a customer the other day . ??

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

gaza

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 01:13:45 pm »
TOSH :An A frame on a bungalow? now if you had eaten  your burnt toast,brussels
and rice pudding with skin on it you would have grown big enough to reach the windows. ;D

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO